Bamfield spring/summer reports 2010 - halis & spri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you guys heard reports from the sarita bay or pill point area. I was thinking of heading up that way tuesday evening and fishing/prawning. Any tips or pointers in the right direction would be much appreaciated

Thanks
Lance
POP SEA

Well the GF is pretty pumped as we are leaving in the morning to fish Bamfield. Sounds like we should be in for some good weather and good fishing. Hopefully we will have some good pics to share with everyone when we return next week.

Tight lines everyone

MM

Had an awesome weekend out there:)
Spent a great day with Jeff.Started it out with a miss ( little buck fever on my part).Followed that up with a 42lb Hali then a 25 and a nice ling to boot. Made a couple quick tacks for some salmon,with no hits.Time for a "Lucky" and get the fish cleaned. Day two we went back after the butts.Ended up with two good Ling and a vermilion (?? on the spelling of that one.) Here are a couple pics.

DSC01766.jpg

DSC01776.jpg

Jeff check out what we hooked 3 min after you left us Saturday.

DSC01769.jpg

Great to meet Jeff and Millsy, Nice rig Newf.:D

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

ran up the canal and out to south bank got into four hali right away released two small ones trolled for salmon /hali and got a 15 lb spring hatchery the commercial trollers are working on south bank may be not the place to fish for springs ?didnt see them catch any ! the weahter was tropical !!!

lordofthesprings

quote:Originally posted by lordofthesprings

ran up the canal and out to south bank got into four hali right away released two small ones trolled for salmon /hali and got a 15 lb spring hatchery the commercial trollers are working on south bank may be not the place to fish for springs ?didnt see them catch any ! the weahter was tropical !!!

lordofthesprings

Cool user name "lordofthesprings":D

Nice to see a South Bank report. What general area of the bank did you catch those hali's?

Any recent reports from the Big Bank anyone?

Might be heading over to Ukee next week, mainly for some bottom fish. Will definitely report the outcome here, if the trip materializes.

the inside of the bank closest to ukee the ridges around the edge where it drops off , we used pilchards which they sell at french creek for 65 cents a pound -cheap!

lordofthesprings

i think they caught and froze them last year ? do they not show up till later in the summer?theyre selling them in bulk to the prawn fishermen big frozen blocks 1.5x2' 8" deep - i guess theyre allowed to fish them somewhere which is surprising as they just came back here in the last few years ?

lordofthesprings

i know i am going to sound like a donut, but what is that last picture of, in Jencourts post!!>???? never seen that before...pretty awesome picture not to mention looked like a beauty weekend!!!

Skate and they can get large and put up one heck of a battle....

SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

LOS

Yeah Mid summer in numbers...

We get Huge schools , sometimes right in the Nook , we have had them get spooked first thing in the morning , frantically jumping out of the water , land all over the dock , lol , pick them quickly , throw them in the cooler ,use em for hally , they seem to do this every year , quite funny to see actually , alot more than a few years though ! Anyone ever try using the smaller ones on Springs ?

cheers

FD...;)

thefogducker@hotmail.com

IMG_3509.jpg

Jencourt.. What kind of line is tied to your swivel/steal leader in the Skate picture? It looks like its gray and1/8 of an inch thick.. or is it something to protect your line? Did you keep the skate? Are they tricky to release? Just curious...... What a weird looking creature. Looks like you guys had a great day.
Choveyroller

Hi Chovey:

What you can see is my spreader bar. then a "mono" hali leader.
Yes we released it.was a bit of a chore but we had long pliers.It put up a heck of a fight,did not like being pulled off bottom at all!! about a half hour to the boat:D

GREAT!! weekend indeed

quote:Originally posted by Jencourt

Hi Chovey:

What you can see is my spreader bar. then a "mono" hali leader.
Yes we released it.was a bit of a chore but we had long pliers.It put up a heck of a fight,did not like being pulled off bottom at all!! about a half hour to the boat:D

GREAT!! weekend indeed

Must've been a bit of a disappointment when it broke the surface...that thing looks mad!

We fought a skate for almost 90 minutes in 2008 thinking it was a huge hali and when it came up it was about 5 feet wide. We dragged that ***** through the water for 300 feet sideways and it wasn't fun...I thought we had a monster hali on...NOPE.

For those that may not have had the 'luck' of catching a skate, beware of the sandpaper like skin. It will tear your skin real quick, so be carefull.............BB

quote:Originally posted by millsy

We fought a skate for almost 90 minutes in 2008 thinking it was a huge hali and when it came up it was about 5 feet wide. We dragged that ***** through the water for 300 feet sideways and it wasn't fun...I thought we had a monster hali on...NOPE.

ha yeah been there as well. I was so tired after that I could not jig anymore. bloody skate anyways. I was told that if you are catching skate and trying to get hali that you need to move deeper. Skate inhabit a different niche than hali.

Nope, one day we caught 2 skates in a row and were pissed off when we hooked what we thought was a 3rd... didn't even bother to get the spear ready, but the 3rd one turned out to be a 70lb halibut :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back