Bamfield Poett Nook 2014- 2015

Spent three nights at McKay bay lodge in bamfield. Fished the inside hard the first day after getting some sox on the way out, swale, meeres, pill and the way produced nothing. Rolled offshore to the rats nose and caught our limits on salmon and Hali's before lunch both days. Nothing big but great for filling the cooler. Fishing was super deep but well worth it. Tried for sox on the way back in, no luck and a ton of boats to contend with.

pretty much did the same thing the weather was tropical had a group we were fishing with hammered halis had to release 5 over 90cm on the anchor then headed out to rats to get limits of springs had to shake lots of little guys but got several teeners and one 25 mostly on rvp tubby plugs 140 -200 with dummy flasher bait was a waste as so many small fish -- the water is all brown except offshore this must have something to do with the poor fishing inside

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty much did the same thing the weather was tropical had a group we were fishing with hammered halis had to release 5 over 93cm on the anchor then headed out to rats to get limits of springs had to shake lots of little guys but got several teeners and one 25 mostly on rvp tubby plugs 140 -200 with dummy flasher bait was a waste as so many small fish -- the water is all brown except offshore this must have something to do with the poor fishing inside

93cm?......

yup we needed two smaller ones to round out the possession limit? thats how we understood the regs 2 hali in possession one must be under 93 cm ? hhmm i see now just checked regs its 90cm weird i was sure it was 93 cm

I'm guiding in Hardy for a few weeks, i'll be rolling back in the same time as you. Sounds a bit scratchy right now out west but based off what we are seeing it is about to turn on...

Did a trip to Bamfield early June.
Fishing was good around the sound until I got to the boat one morning to find this fella and got skunked.

Attachments

• 1381926_529932633747448_banana1839523837_n.jpg
    1381926_529932633747448_banana1839523837_n.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 875
Does anyone ever try rolling cut plug herring in the Bamfield area later in the summer once the pilchard are around? Or are chovies the preferred bait?

regardless if pilchards or larger herring are not in the area , alot of big fish come in from around the sound on plugs
,theres a group of us that pull plugs in mid to late August through-out the sound , with pretty good success, larger finicky fish ,
imho , large ancovy's and Plugs will find bigger fish late season !!
are there pilchards out on the bank right now ?? prob not , a group this past wknd , had consistently larger fish onboard ,
flippin Large Pilchard plugs with good results !!! sometimes " Matching the Hatch " is just not so... let you decide ...

( cut plugging works , just a bit of a pain , messy , not needed )

m2b

fd

Does anyone ever try rolling cut plug herring in the Bamfield area later in the summer once the pilchard are around? Or are chovies the preferred bait?

Thank you Fog Ducker! We often pull plugs in the Bamfield area and now that I think about it, we caught our largest chinook (42 lbs) on a plug. I have only ever used cut plug herring in the Charlotte's, but just thought it would be interesting to try it elsewhere. I can see how it would be messy, timely and costly, when one could just use a plug.

Kelly - Interesting that the pilchards have not been around for a few seasons. Do you know if their stocks are currently at a low or are just not using this area? We have had good success on a 6" pilchard spoon over the past two seasons.

Nobody really knows, the pilchards appear and disappear year to year decade to decade. Commercial fishing doesn't help their numbers but that's not the cause for their disappearance. Of course their patterns will still work but the fish just aren't honed in the same way.

A group that pull plugs in august?

Back