Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marco assesing the situation on the logboom lol , Damn... CLOWNS !!!!

IMG_0940_zps846f30c0.jpg

later

fd

Sounds like fun FD. I put my boat on the rocks about a month ago, also running in the dark. Just left the cabin to meet up with some of the boys across the lake. GPS was still booting up, misjudged the point and there I was, high and dry. Boats in the fiberglass shop right now, prolly about 2G in damage. Damn, why do I always learn the hard way:(

Great to see the trip was a success and that people actually still fish! Reading this report is the closest I've come in a month. Scary run in with the booms though. Was that on the little ducker? If so lucky it was that rig! Glad to see it worked out.

Great pics looks like a you all had a blast and have some great fishing stories to look back on for years. Love the log boom story lol!

fellas

not sure if these reports are boring for ya all or not , they always seem ta be the similar lol ,
anyways , sure a few of ya like a little wcvi injection from time ta time , so here ya go

was there last week from Wed till Sunday , fished 3 days , all in close , Sarita Bay , SE Tzartus ,Kirby , Sanford were all good at some point , first morning was FRUSTRATING , i had multiple hook ups , lost atleast 6 at the gunnel ,2 bigger fish , gonna say 15 - 17 lbs , one right after the other , the wind kept screwin me up ,spinnin the boat , was solo in the tinny , , TUFF day , i did land 3 smaller fish around 3 - 5 lbs , all released for another day , determined , i went out for an hour just before Dark , WHAm , Dbl Header , set the hook on both , let a rod holder fight one , i bonked the first fish which was about 11 lbs , then worked ON the second one, slightlty bigger , let him have it , DONE ! 20 mins , both on needle fish , i think i gave away my go to on another thread lol , but the purple haze was workin well too , over the Next 2 days , i was dialed in , landed over 20 - 25 fish , didnt count , action was NON STOP , i tried spoons and bait , zero , not a sniff , all on glow or UV type hoochies , down at 125 - 150 feet , Best winter fish for me there ever , what a blast , these things fight big,, sharp teeth really did me in , lost some gear , check ur leaders often , there was also a good number of fish on th West Flemming Reefs , also 125 feet on rubber..

hope this sticks around for the derby , fish were 50/50 Clipped/Unclipped ,, full of 4 in herring ???

Crabbing has really improved , Prawning was Excellent , bring ur traps for the loggers derby , it will pay off !!

anyways , sum shotz , enjoy .

fd

Frozen Nook

IMG_1038_zps3800397f.jpg

IMG_10401_zpsf9481ed1.jpg

IMG_1052_zpsc88ed5ac.jpg

One BIG F"N TRUCK !!!

IMG_1034_zps2a7fca9a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool report if the fishing stays like that I would like to go to that march derby. Is the fishing in march normally pretty good never been out that way so early in the year.

I did the Chits last year , but really well the past 5 before , ya gotta move around ta find the bait ,
when ya do , it can be excellent , im limited in the winter to a 16 foot aluminium , i cant go to far ,
last year i did well on my trip 3 weeks before the derby , then slapped in the face for the derby , way she goes..

its a great time , not all about the " Fish " the hole package of gettin out with the boys , ALOT of people attend...

fd

Nice haul Felix. Looked a little frosty. I'll have to bring up lots of fire wood to stoke the cabin stove.

fellas

just back from the coast , fished 3 days with my Aunt and Cous , weather was great all 3 days ,,sunburn on Sat, minimal daytime wind , you guys thinkin bowt tenting for the derby , you woulda got blown right back ta Port in 3 seconds flat , had a few gusts that felt like it lifted my 34 trailer off the beach ,kinda freaky , dishes were a clangin Monday late night , HATE wind....

Crabbing was pretty decent again , Prawning wasnt very good , seen alot of buoys out there , some type of commercial opening , kinda odd this time of year ??? hmmm...

note *** most fish were unclipped this outting ***

anyways , fishin was really good , we bonked 8 really nice winters ta 14 lbs, released a few small guys , all fish were right off the bottom on rubber and anchovy's , spoons sucked again , Coho killers did well , we fished Sarita , Rainy Bay ,Sanford , Vernon , Pill , Diplock , Flemming , Kirby , Whistlebuoy , and Brady`s . yes it was that calm , all in my tinny , fish caught were at Vernon Kirby, Sanford Bradys , DEAD elsewhere , seen huge schools of 6-7 in herring , 4 of my fish were stuffed with them , tried 6 in spoons no flash , nada , anchovys was the ticket,,
last report before the derby , hope this helps , seems like a pretty decent amount of fish around

gd luck out there

sum pix

fd

IMG_1147_zps3561ef78.jpg

no he didnt have a gaff in em , he was sun tannin on my deck lol...

IMG_1152_zpsc652ef4b.jpg

very nice fd,,,mmmm winter springs...

fellas

, Prawning wasnt very good , seen alot of buoys out there , some type of commercial opening , kinda odd this time of year ??? hmmm../QUOTE]

Local FN's stopped me and tried to sell me prawns the other day. Said they had 60 traps in Sarita. I'm sure they release all the big females that are there this time of year!
Glad you had a good trip and caught some nice fish.

Nice report FD. Always look forward to your report and pics. Makes me wanna fish.

Cheers: Ray

Fellas

just back from the Nook , what a f'd up weekend of weather lol , almost sunk the boat on Thursday eve , auto bilge packed it in ,
not sure how rain is technically recorded , but , my large Igloo 100 quart cooler filled up to the top with rain water , with the lid on !!! lol ,
lets say it was a little windy too, GROSS , you cant even imagine what it sounded like in the trailer ,
we passed on fishin Friday as well , little too snotty for the little ducker , 6 movies later and a bottle of crown and a flat later , we finally hit the water Sat morning ,
we lasted 2 .5 hrs before we headed in ta warm up ,Zero fish,,, went out sat eve for a couple hours , a small 6 pound for our effort ,mmmm Sashimi...
re-grouped , back out Sunday first light , perfect conditions , fished mainly Trevor Channel , Sarita , lots of shakers, bonked 2 small fish for my fishin partner ,
once the derby dust settled , we went out ta finish the night off , again , PERFECT conditions , the fish gods gave us 2 more fish , an 8 and a 11lb .2 other groups from the nook also kept 2 fish each , seems like the fish liked the high tides a bit better ?? anyways , one more outting yesterday , 3 hrs trolling in a 2 foot chop and a good outflow wind , gave us one more fish around 7 lbs before packing it in , nice way ta finish off the weekend , Crabbing was Excellent , Prawning was mediocre , all fish were caught on rubber this outting , 130 - 140 feet , Derby looked like it was well attended ,only 20 worthy fish were weighed , best weather for the weigh in that ive seen in years , hope ya had fun ! Nadine Paul , thx for all your work , Enjoy your salmon : )...see ya in a few...

Top fish 26 lbs , second 22 , 3 rd 17....nice work guys

pics from Nadine , i got a little lazy

later

fd

IMG_1205_zps92fdefd9.jpg

IMG_1215_zps327e920d.jpg

IMG_1217_zps47a0fc60.jpg

IMG_1220_zps92c0bd8b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back