Bamfield Fishing Reports

the fog ducker

Bamfield Update , Had friends come back today from the area , fished two day's with two top guides out of Bamfield , Both boats fished the inside at several of the local hotspots with little results , Outside was a little to lumpy to get out , with the two boats in 10 hours each , only 3 springs to show for , sounds like it has slowed since i was there a couple of weeks ago. The next day Danny ( Bish n Son Charters ) got the boy's out to 20 -22 mile, Had the boats limit in less than 2 hours , Springs and Halibut ! Water was still a little lumpy , one of my friends spent the day with a green tinge ,feeding the fish off the side of the boat with the last nights dinner and " Bevy's " ( I warned him !! ) There was a fleet of trollers also out there raping the bank , closed now to them !! There were also a fare number of puke boats from Ucluelet there as well ,jigging there hearts out , apparently did quite well , Cheers , Good Luck Boy's......

The Fog Ducker

Heard similar things about the fishing inside this weekend. Good that there's a few outside. What's with trolling being like rape though? Is jigging a better way to catch fish?

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

Sorry , guy's , Yes , Commercial opening , but now closed , sources say !! later , Fog Ducker.......

aYup, I'd be one of those "rapists" he was referring to. And Yes, we (Area G Troll) are now shut down. Hard to say for how long, as The Dino is seriously scrambling to justify that action.

And while I do very much have a considerable amount of info regarding what is going on out there of late, that's kinda tough to share with those who slap me with a derogatory label simply because of what I do for a living. [B)]

Those that know, feel free to drop me an E.

Nog

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

quote:Originally posted by The Fog Ducker

Sorry , guy's , Yes , Commercial opening , but now closed , sources say !! later , Fog Ducker.......

aYup, I'd be one of those "rapists" he was referring to. And Yes, we (Area G Troll) are now shut down. Hard to say for how long, as The Dino is seriously scrambling to justify that action.

And while I do very much have a considerable amount of info regarding what is going on out there of late, that's kinda tough to share with those who slap me with a derogatory label simply because of what I do for a living. [B)]

Those that know, feel free to drop me an E.

Nog

You have mail.

Thanks Iron Noggin, that's exactly why I brought it up. I didn't want to have an e-outburst about such an ignorant comment, so I tried the dummy approach. I'm glad some one else spoke up too. Honestly, anglers and trollers share a common interest in preserving and restoring salmon runs. We should work as allies.

Sorry to see someone lable you as a rapist just because you troll for a living. I have no problem sharing the waters with other trollers, commercial or sporties. It is a selective method of commercial harvest, and non target species can be avoided or returned if caught. I wish all commercial Salmon fishing was liited to trolling, and I don't think we'd have the conservation issues we have now.

Trolling is the only realistic way to harvest salmon ,seigning is raping treolling you can pick and choose and release what you dont want ever;y fishery should be troll only ,or long lone get rid of draggers and seigners

Fished with my friends Saturday till Tuesday,starting to pick up again,all between 8 and 18 lbs, deep all on bait,nice fat fish.Dan

Just a note regarding the commercial troll fishery.

In meetings with tight-lipped DFO staff yesterday, the "reasoning" (sic) for this latest closure was presented:

Current levels of escapement of early spring/summer Fraser spring stocks are low. So low in fact, that this stock has been placed on a Level II management regime - translating to a required</u> in-river closure of all directed fisheries targeting springs. But, and here is the Big But: As the FN's have been limited in their access to sockeye this year, the Dept. "is not in a position to inflict closures of the ongoing in-river FN food ceremonial economic fishery" (their terminology).

And further: Although it is recognized that the impact of WCVI troll fisheries on this specific stock is negligible (this due to well documented migration route patterns that note landfall in the US and then passage through to the river - effectively bypassing areas open to Area G) the Dept. decided to shut that sector down, in an apparently desperate measure to appear to be doing something (while admitting behind closed doors the closure would have almost no positive influence whatsoever) to help conserve this troubled run.

Finally, and a bit of a wake-up call to those who like to toss labels:
It IS</u> recognized that the sport fishery conducted out of Victoria has a MUCH greater impact on this particular stock than leaving the WCVI open for the troll fleet. Much, as in exponentially higher. But again, DFO is "reluctant" to address this situation, preferring to yank those with the lightest impact off the water rather than addressing the higher removal rate presented by both FN's and the sports sector.

So, when you think in the terms of "raping" a stock, it might be a good idea to look in your own back-yard before spouting off about others in this convoluted mess we call a fishery.

Regards,
Nog

Well said Nog, we have not seen the end of the closures yet.
Although i hate to think it possible, i truly believe if there isn't
a huge improvement in stocks, they will also close the sport fishery down. :(

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

Hi Guy's , again , I apologize for the comment from a previous report ,I have used the word " Raped " loosley between other Charters and friends in the past, with meaning nothing more than, someone doing well with hooking into fish . Let's relax a little !!! I ( WE ) HAVE NO PERSONAL ISSUES WITH SHARING OUR WATERS WITH ALL !!! I will not use this in any of our upcoming posts again , seems very sensitive to some. Now , I started this thread to share with fellow anglers and friends in the Barkley Sound ( Poett Nooke ) areas , Let's keep this thread for " Sports Fishing Reports Updates ".I don't care about the politics of the industry anymore,we contribute by donating funds in several different ways , that will hopefully keep this strong for future generations to come !!I gave up on the poor decissions on managing this great resource , there are other way's of contibuting to those decissions , please, let's not post your issues here , start a new thread maybe ,Take Care Guy's, see ya on the water.... Cheers...

The Fog Ducker

Back