Baja Fuel line Help

spring fever

Last trip this morning and the motor was running fine-then stopped. Fuel bulb was collapsed. Made sure tank valve was open, shook the tank and external fuel filter. Pushed in the fuel pick-up part of the plug at the tank and got rid of the vacuum. Bulb is inflated again and works -motor runs great -gradually over 2 or 3 minutes bulb is flatter than a pancake-repeat and all is well. So I am heading home and I want to make sure I get all the parts I may need. Obviously not an air leak but an air lock,--new filter, new end plugs, check the pick-up at the portable tank new bulb -anything else anyone can think of?? Thanks

How old is the fuel line? Are you using ethanol gas, if so it may have caused the inner lining of the fuel line to deteriorate and a piece may be causing the blockage.

The problem is on the tank side of the primer bulb. Filter? clogged line? In my case same thing - it was the filter.

Any hair line cracks in the line? I had one right under the clamp once

How old is the fuel line? Are you using ethanol gas, if so it may have caused the inner lining of the fuel line to deteriorate and a piece may be causing the blockage.
Never thought of that-no ethanol down here but the line is very old- time to replace

The problem is on the tank side of the primer bulb. Filter? clogged line? In my case same thing - it was the filter.
Ok brings up a point--5 gal tank 10 ft of hose --bulb --in-line filter-- engine--been this way for many years Should the filter be before the bulb or after or does it matter??

In your setup it is not the filter. The engine is pulling fuel and when it can not get fuel it collapses the bulb trying. To collapse the bulb, it has to be drawing through the filter enough to pull a vacuum and collapse the bulb.The blockage is between the bulb and the pick up in the tank. if the filter were plugged, the engine would stall from lack of fuel and the bulb would not experience draw to collapse it. I can't say whether it is better to have the filter before or after the primer bulb.

In your setup it is not the filter. The engine is pulling fuel and when it can not get fuel it collapses the bulb trying. To collapse the bulb, it has to be drawing through the filter enough to pull a vacuum and collapse the bulb.The blockage is between the bulb and the pick up in the tank. if the filter were plugged, the engine would stall from lack of fuel and the bulb would not experience draw to collapse it. I can't say whether it is better to have the filter before or after the primer bulb.
That makes a lot of sense-- I will look down that way-and since it has happened on 2 tanks I'm starting to suspect the line.

Thanks guys for all the help, chased down all the suggestions, cut ends off hoses and new clamps, blew out all of them, filter was fine, bulb was good, compressed air into the pick-up- all good-so the one thing I noticed when putting compressed air into the tank while blowing the pick-up-the tank visibly expanded-even though the breather was open-got rapid venting back through the fuel line until I cracked the cap, Happened on both tanks so I think because of the heat down here(sorry guys) the vents weren't working well. I'm not sure but I think that will collapse a bulb.(I hope)

I was thinking maybe something was possibly blocking a vent... you wouldn't think mud daubers would build in there because of the fumes. sounds like the high pressure air worked.

I was thinking maybe something was possibly blocking a vent... you wouldn't think mud daubers would build in there because of the fumes. sounds like the high pressure air worked.
Good thought--we have a wasp that builds with mud so that is a distinct possibility

Thanks guys for all the help, chased down all the suggestions, cut ends off hoses and new clamps, blew out all of them, filter was fine, bulb was good, compressed air into the pick-up- all good-so the one thing I noticed when putting compressed air into the tank while blowing the pick-up-the tank visibly expanded-even though the breather was open-got rapid venting back through the fuel line until I cracked the cap, Happened on both tanks so I think because of the heat down here(sorry guys) the vents weren't working well. I'm not sure but I think that will collapse a bulb.(I hope)
Yes and the heat has really been turned up lately :)

Good thought--we have a wasp that builds with mud so that is a distinct possibility

Last year I had to clear a blockage in a water drain from the roof of my pilot house. The water drains from the roof of the pilothouse through aluminum pipe into hollow square tube, (HSS). wasps (yellowjackets) decided that would be a good place to make their nest. was fun trying to snake a piece of stiff wire in there to break things up. noticed it when one side was draining but not the other. water would build up on the roof in the rain, then periodically poor over the back onto the deck in the swells. became a priority to fix that after getting drenched a couple times...hehe.

Ok brings up a point--5 gal tank 10 ft of hose --bulb --in-line filter-- engine--been this way for many years Should the filter be before the bulb or after or does it matter??
I have always had the bulb nearest the engine, and in as near vertical as possible. I was told that having it vertical keeps fluid in the bulb and prevents the check valves inside the bulb from drying out and not working. This puts the filter before the bulb.

Back