Bacon

bentley

Im trying my hand at smoking some
Pork belly (bacon) I've got It curing right now, just wondering if anybody else has tried this or has any tips or tricks

Thanks

I'm still perfecting my bacon but I've gone to "pops brine" for 14 days and it's fool proof. My last batch was a bit too smokey. I cold smoked it for 24 hours which was a bit much lol. Next time 4 hours is enough I'd say.

I've. Been making bacon with pork loins for years and it's actually quit easy. To buy pork belly cost just as much as bacon so if I want a product with more fat I use pork shoulder.
I don't really have any tips other than using maple and apple wood mix for smoke. My recipe is very basic

Per pound
1 level tblsp Morton tenderquick
1 level tsp brown sugar

Cover the meat in the sugar and salt for 5 to 7 days rotating every day. Then smoke it not very hot. Enough to just give it a slight tan. Vacuum seal and leave in the fridge for a few days and then freeze.

Here are my 2 recipes i use, modify and change if you so want you have to use some prauge powder or it will stay brown want that nice red color. and like bird said i rotate every day for same amount then heat for about 8 hours at 120 ish then smoke for 2 at 140 ish

have fun and good luck Wolf

BACON

· 2 -3 pounds Skinless pork belly

· ½ cup Sugar

· 1 tablespoon Blackstrap molasses

· 2 tablespoons Kosher salt

· 1 teaspoon curing salt (PRAUGE)

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

ROYS HERBED BACON

5 LBS BELLY

½ cup salt

2 tsp prauge

4 tbsp black pepper

4 bay leaves

4 sage leaves (chopped and crushed)

1 tsp nutmeg

¼ cup brown sugar

½ cup maple syrup

2 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp thyme

Here are my 2 recipes i use, modify and change if you so want you have to use some prauge powder or it will stay brown want that nice red color. and like bird said i rotate every day for same amount then heat for about 8 hours at 120 ish then smoke for 2 at 140 ish

1460190_10153829713226084_8901899935267871979_n.jpg

These are port loins(canadian back bacon):
IMG_0514.jpg

Thanks for the tips guys, a friend butchered up a pig and wasn't interested in doing bacon with the pork bellys, that's how I got it, the best price free. I have it all curing now, it will be ready to smoke on Boxing Day, wish me luck !!

I get mine from superstore. Every time I go in I look for the 30% reduced ones. I freeze them till I get 5-6 lbs then dry cure with Stuffers bacon dry cure. Smoke with two rounds of maple chips and done.

Couldn't wait all the way till Boxing Day, so I have a few pieces smoking right now, as I've read it says your suspose to bring it up too a internal temp of 140f, is that necessary if your still going to fry the bacon up before consuming ??? With these cold temps I'm not sure if I can get my smoker hot enough

Couldn't wait all the way till Boxing Day, so I have a few pieces smoking right now, as I've read it says your suspose to bring it up too a internal temp of 140f, is that necessary if your still going to fry the bacon up before consuming ??? With these cold temps I'm not sure if I can get my smoker hot enough
Not necessary at all just make sure you treat it like uncooked meat-refrigerate or freeze as needed and cook to 165.

Awesome thanks, finished product looks good, will see how it tastes tomorrowIMG_3632.JPG

Back