B.C. conservation groups seek emergency protection for SRKW

Discussion in 'Conservation, Fishery Politics and Management.' started by Derby, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Derby

Derby Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

So, if sports fishing closures are not enacted, now, how else will these whales find enough chinook to eat? I can see increased hatchery production coming soon but it will probably not be not fast enough to make a difference.

3. Derby

Derby Well-Known Member

well..I'm on the record with a balance approach using many of the tools in the tool box to find a measureable and balance approach in help the SRKW...

ericl and IronNoggin like this.
  4. chromatose007

chromatose007 Active Member

Hmmm... That's strange, they forgot to insert any mention of the main competitors to the Orcas ie: Seals and Sealions. BRUTAL

5. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Active Member

Still applies

6. I Love Haida Gwaii

I Love Haida Gwaii Well-Known Member

Grr.. how can the most intelligent mammal second to humans (sometimes) starve to death when surrounded by other food sources..

One word... "Darwinism".

7. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Active Member

That’s a good point maybe we should chum the waters with seal meat for them

chromatose007 likes this.
  8. OldBlackDog

OldBlackDog Well-Known Member

9. ericl

ericl Active Member

Suzuki is correct on his points. He neglects to list Seal Predation as a cause which hurts his credibility. I like the part about acting too late. Down here in WA rockfish descending devices became required to have onboard last year - about 10 years after Puget Sound was closed to Rockfish fishing/retention.

10. Derby

Derby Well-Known Member

We are asking DFO to make the descending device mandatory for the 2018 season....