Australian's make some cool aluminum boats

I think one reason we don't see more of the Aussie / NZ made boat up here, at least for the boats on the larger end of the range (23'+), is that there are stricter size restrictions when it comes to width for trailerable boats in Aus / NZ. So the bigger boats tend to have a relatively narrow beam compared to what you'd normally see in these parts. I've seen a few Stabi craft around this summer so maybe they are starting to make inroads here. Nothing to stop some enterprising local builder to try and use some of the design cues and adapt for BC though.

White Pointer (NZ) makes some interesting models as well. They also come in larger (30'-plus and >9'6" beam) models. http://www.whitepointerboats.co.nz/

Saw this one first hand when I was in NZ earlier this year - towed by a Toyota Landcruiser. Pretty slick setup, although I'd probably go with the trip 250 option (while I'm spending imaginary money)...

IMG_2467.jpg IMG_2468.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of innovation I would hope the north west coast builders would look into. I understand they have bigger water that we do, yet it is curious that I didn't see the suspension seats even though the helm is far forward. Australia and NZ also produce some nice aluminum cats. DAJ

The southeast coast of Australia - where most of the population lives - is drained by a few rivers with extensive estuaries, along with lots of creeks with sufficiently small flows that their outlets are usually blocked by sandbars that form shallow tidal lagoons. Most people fish these creeks, lagoons and estuaries. If they go offshore to the open Pacific, there is usually a barrier: most creek and river mouths have a shallow sand bar system that can produce very serious breaking waves. Most marinas and boat launches are inside in the sheltered waters, so boaters heading outside have to cross the bar both going out and coming home - hence the brand name Bar Crusher. Boats typically have to just take a run at the waves and clear two or three of them before they're beyond the break and things settle down. The cab-forward design helps prevent the boats from going bow-high as they fly off a wave. Obviously conditions are a day-to-day proposition, but I think in general that the southwest Pacific isn't as lumpy as the north Pacific that crashes into our BC west coast.

There was a place in Nanaimo that was selling Aussie boats for the longest time. Don't know if they are still there. Was just across from the ferry terminal.

Back