Atlantic salmon blood through an effluent pipe - directly into Brown’s Bay

Probably the strong Winter tides that are coming in a few weeks that are responsible for the release of parasites and PRV virus from those discharge pipes.

the gal that unfortunately passed away also had footage of this a few years back.

They actually knew about this years ago, not just this past spring. I know the filmer and heard him talking about it in 2012.

Even if this post is factual it is of no consequence.
It does not lessen the seriousness of the situation!
It is fair to say there have been MANY MANY similar discharges from this plant and others!
I see that another 1,326 people have signed the petition in the last hour or so.
Up to 14,276 in a short time.
If you have not signed...you may wish to do it now
https://www.sumofus.org/

Last edited:
If this is happening all the time then Im not sure it matters when it was filmed so much as when it’s been released. I’m not in the PR game but you have to admit releasing it at this particular moment is pretty good marketing on the anti part. With the spotlight on fishfarms the last couple couple of months this is the last thing they need.

signed and shared

This letter to the editor in todays Times Colonist is right on!
Clearly self regulation of Fish Farms is not working and what regulations for Fish Farms and Processors that do exist are ineffective and unenforced.

Enforce regulations on fish processing

Re: “‘Blood water’ in ocean prompts probe,” Nov. 29. This is a distressing story, indeed. It is even more distressing that salmon processors’ practices come to our attention thanks to the heroic efforts of a private citizen.
He is described as a “critic,” implying he is some sort of crank. Monitoring and control of that industry should be done by government. They are the ones who have been hired to protect our wildlife, our food and our lives. They asked for that job.
Instead, ministers make political points by blaming their deficiencies in oversight on previous administrations. But they sit on their hands when it comes to making or enforcing regulations. My thanks go to the “critic.” Martin Hykin Victoria

Salmon farms spewing untreated bloodwater puts wild fish at risk: advocates
thecanadianpress.jpg
November 29, 2017
http://nanaimonewsnow.com/article/5...ated-bloodwater-puts-wild-fish-risk-advocates

Don't need to name call but lets pretend the government followed the advice of all the eco-warriors on this site and closed all fish farms down. Since consumers still want salmon, where do they get it? I guess we will have to give more allocation to the commercial fleet and cut back all our sport quota's to one salmon a day. Oh wait, now all the fishing lodges and guides are struggling to get clients who need to shell out $4K to catch 2 salmon. I guess they need to get a new job. We can't argue the case that the Canadian who buys his salmon from safeway has less rights to the resource then the sporty who goes out and catches it. Alas, everyone is now losing. Fish farms lose, commercial fisherman lose, sporty's lose, first nations lose and consumers lose. This is not a solution.

Personally, I am all for fish farms because they take pressure off of the wild stocks. I am also for the farms to be operated safely and sustain-ably so they don't harm the wild stocks. Farmed salmon has been proven to be a healthy product that tastes great and is well accepted by consumers. Rather than make assumptions about a video, lets take a deep breath, ask our government to investigate to ensure the plant is operating under proper procedures, and if there is a gap in how the operations are preformed, lets address the issue and have it fixed. The video looks gross, but I am not sure it means a damn thing.

Been said many times here already.......good luck!!!

Grew up fishing Browns bay, plumper deepwater, elk, rock, green sea, denham, have moored at the Browns marina for over 20 years, feel discovery passage to be a second home for my brothers and I, grandfathers ashes are spread in discovery passage.Possibly the most beautiful stretch of water in BC. Makes me sick.

Don't need to name call but lets pretend the government followed the advice of all the eco-warriors on this site and closed all fish farms down. Since consumers still want salmon, where do they get it? I guess we will have to give more allocation to the commercial fleet and cut back all our sport quota's to one salmon a day. Oh wait, now all the fishing lodges and guides are struggling to get clients who need to shell out $4K to catch 2 salmon. I guess they need to get a new job. We can't argue the case that the Canadian who buys his salmon from safeway has less rights to the resource then the sporty who goes out and catches it. Alas, everyone is now losing. Fish farms lose, commercial fisherman lose, sporty's lose, first nations lose and consumers lose. This is not a solution.

Personally, I am all for fish farms because they take pressure off of the wild stocks. I am also for the farms to be operated safely and sustain-ably so they don't harm the wild stocks. Farmed salmon has been proven to be a healthy product that tastes great and is well accepted by consumers. Rather than make assumptions about a video, lets take a deep breath, ask our government to investigate to ensure the plant is operating under proper procedures, and if there is a gap in how the operations are preformed, lets address the issue and have it fixed. The video looks gross, but I am not sure it means a damn thing.

It's an understandable argument at face value but not the solution in the long run. We shouldn't have to damage our natural resource so someone can go to safeway in Alberta and get a cheap farmed Atlantic fillet.

As I posted before, Salmon shouldn't be a cheap mass produced product like chicken or beef. It's not sustainable for a number of reasons (input vs output, environmental damage etc), yet the fish farming industry still pushes for it. For them it's simple business trying to meet the huge demand and they've been allowed by DFO to operate at relatively low costs by ignoring damaging practices. This dumping of processing waste is a prime example. No other livestock industry would ever be allowed to do this.

Make fish farms pay for these environmental subsidies they've been milking and soon it will be clear that land based operations are the only option. Sure, it's going to jack up their costs but the market will match and over time they will learn to lower their production costs. Workers will still have jobs and foreign companies might make less money off of our environment. Commercial fisherman will be able to charge more for their products without having to catch more, sport fisherman will realize how lucky they are to have access to the resource. The Salmon market will go on.

Thanks for the post cuttlefish!!
well worth listening to.
I found it easier to start on 280085
No doubt PVR is present in Fish Farms Atlantic salmon!
The question is.... is our Government prepared to deal with the problem, which is a REAL threat to the survival of our wild salmon.
In the end the question is not are Fish Farms killing wild salmon with their sea lice and disease, but how many are they killing...10%, 30% 60% or more???
As Bones has said many times "where is the proof" of dead wild salmon.
We have seen dead Fish Farm Atlantic's though

Last edited:
Thanks for the post cuttlefish!!
well worth listening to.
I found it easier to start on 280085
No doubt PVR is present in Fish Farms Atlantic salmon!
The question is.... is our Government prepared to deal with the problem, which is a REAL threat to the survival of our wild salmon.
In the end the question is not are Fish Farms killing wild salmon with their sea lice and disease, but how many are they killing...10%, 30% 60% or more???
As Bones has said many times "where is the proof" of dead wild salmon.
We have seen dead Fish Farm Atlantic's though
Bones's abscence on this thread says a lot even he can't defend this.

The ED of the BCSFA tried to deflect saying he doesn't see the samples show where the PRV came from - discharge pipe or open ocean. I think that defelction would be pretty easy to debunk and I'm glad to see the provincial and federal regulators are taking this seriously.

I'm assuming he is waiting for the PR machine employed by the BCSFA to puke out it's spin on this so he can cut and paste. They are likely in a boardroom discussing strategy right now...

Last edited:
Is this how we treat wild salmon? Farmed fish ‘bloodwater’ discharged into salmon migratory route
WCEL
https://www.wcel.org/blog/how-we-tr...-bloodwater-discharged-salmon-migratory-route

Great info Agentaqua as usual..
“Both fish farms and fish processing facilities must monitor fish and fish blood for disease. So why is it legal to discharge bloodwater that contains PRV, despite the fact that it has been linked to HSMI?
PRV and HSMI are not listed as reportable diseases under the Act.
So it appears that under the current regulations, it is legal to discharge fish processing water that contains instances of this virus.”
Seems to me that the nuts and bolts of HSMI and PRV are finally coming to light!
Can you remind us of Dr Mary’s previous statements concerning his non testing for PVR and HSMI.

Lol..... This thread is funny enough without me. Here your bitching about a plant what..... dumping untreated fish waste... Lol

Meanwhile..... Metro Vancouver dumps raw sewage into burrard inlet everytime in rains to hard, how many fish die because of this? Here we are fixing the problem by building a new north shore sewage plant, but only to level 2, so more medical waste will continue to be pumped into burrard inlet...... How many people here are picketing to have tier 1 level built???? None lol..... Carry on

Back