Atlantic salmon blood through an effluent pipe - directly into Brown’s Bay

So, when ALL the salmon die after spawning in the rivers, where does all their blood etc. go?

In addition We know that 5 Billion , yes 5 billion hatchery fish are swimming out there.

They are all killed one way or another, what effect is that having and what can we do about that?

Massive difference between cleaning a native fish on the river bank and allowing its blood to dissipate in the flowing water and pumping a rivers worth of introduced (read invasive) species blood into the ocean at one go.

Sad really, last week it was a farms garbage. And this week it’s this. A month ago it was a huge escape. No one takes responsibility for any of it. Shameful. Shame on the fish farm industry.

Ok agent. On moment sport fishing is this big industry the next its just one guy cleaning his fish on the side of the river. Which is it? Its telling how on the fish farm front of this issue you DEMAND peer reviews science and inflate the idea of risk as large as posable but on this camp(sport, commie and ceremonial fishing) you casually imply that one guy cleaning a fish on the side of the river is what is going on and its not a big deal.

Am I the only person that sees through this individual?

Where is your science and your links to support you ideas on this view of yours? I suspect there isn't any but you have no issue with that somehow. It's magical how you can just flip a switch on the science front when an idea is brought forward that doesn't suit your intentions.

Wild fish have prv THE VIRUS as well so your idea about original capture point is limp.

Should sport fishing be shut down until there is peer reviewed science that bleeding fish etc in rivers does less than minimal harm to wild fish? Who is going to pay for this? DFO cant apparently be trusted.

Shall I go on?
You've never needed my permission in the past to "go on", BN - but by all means - please do.

If you reread what I wrote - it was in reference to risk assessment (exposure risk x consequence) using amount of potentially infected material (i.e. probability of finding diseased tissue), while simultaneously discussing consequences (transfer of novel pathogens into a unexposed area). This is what CFIA is currently attempting to do with their compartmentalization protocols that they are phasing in following the OIE guidelines.

So, if you want peer-reviewed veterinary disease risk protocols that further details these steps wrt risk assessment and management maybe reference the Sanitary and Phytosanitary Agreement of the WTO (https://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/sps_e/spsagr_e.htm), compartmentalization (http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/finfish/eng/1450409829304/1450409830112) - where if you grow fish products from a zone with a reportable disease (http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals...es/reportable/eng/1322940971192/1322941111904) - you can't ship live or fresh products or eggs to a "declared free" zone (ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/005/y1238e/y1238e08.pdf). The zones and the "declaration status" are at: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/aquatic-animals/diseases/finfish/eng/1450409829304/1450409830112

In addition, try:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
European Council. 2006. Council Directive 2006/88/EC of 24 October 2006 on animal health requirements for aquaculture animals and products thereof, and on the prevention and control of certain diseases in aquatic animals. Official Journal of the European Union (OJ L) 328:14–56. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/ALL/?uri=CELEX:32006L0088

Some excerpts:

The slaughter and processing of aquaculture animals which are subject to disease control measures may spread the disease, inter alia as a result of the discharge of effluents containing pathogens from processing plants. It is therefore necessary for the Member States to have access to processing establishments that have been duly authorised to undertake such slaughter and processing without jeopardising the health status of farmed and wild aquatic animals, including in respect of the discharge of effluents.

A Member State may declare a zone or a compartment within its territory free of one or more of the non-exotic diseases listed in Part II of Annex IV, where:

(a) none of the species susceptible to the disease(s) in question is present in the zone or compartment, and where relevant in its water source; or
(b) the pathogen is known not to be able to survive in the zone or compartment, and where relevant in its water source; or
(c) the zone or compartment complies with the conditions laid down in Part II of Annex V.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Risk of waterborne virus spread – review of survival of relevant fish and crustacean viruses in the aquatic environment and implications for control measures
Birgit Oidtmann , Peter Dixon, Keith Way, Claire Joiner and Amanda E. Bayley
Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science (Cefas), Weymouth, Dorset, UK

Reviews in Aquaculture (2017) 0, 1–29 doi: 10.1111/raq.12192

p.23: "Apart from assessing the risk of pathogen spread from aquaculture facilities, the review is also useful for the assessment of survival of viruses released from aquatic animal processing facilities (e.g. for human consumption), as liquid waste may be released into the environment and lead to infection of naive populations. This is of particular concern if liquid waste is released in the vicinity of aquaculture production sites, but could also lead to spread of pathogen to wild populations (Pearce et al. 2014)."

Last edited:
Heyman says the province is working with Fisheries and Oceans Canada and First Nations in the area to ensure everything possible is being done to protect wild salmon. Time to stop talking and start doing something before its too late.

Heyman says the province is working with Fisheries and Oceans Canada and First Nations in the area to ensure everything possible is being done to protect wild salmon. Time to stop talking and start doing something before its too late.

With old guard still in MOE don't expect things to change all at once anytime soon. DFO will deflect to Environment Canada which will take orders from Province. There are many there at BC MOE that are still from the Mary Polak era. The province will investigate, but they are not going to stop it. It was permitted by MOE. It is the province's fault as with every other industrial projects that it doesn't follow up/enforce. I am not surprised lets put it that way.

On the radio today I heard those word again today ( oh so familiar) :THE MINISTRY ENVIRONMENT IS INVESTIGATING AND DETERMINING IF IT IS SAFE".

Nothing new here folks-- move on. Roughly 17 years ago Browns Bay turned red ( the whole bay) when a pipe under Packing Plant separated. It was reported , with pictures ( mine) to DFO in Campbell River who assured me they would take care of it. And they did ! The plant put in a longer pipe .

Let’s do something about this!
Been going on for years, effects salmon yet nothing being done.

http://www.bucksuzuki.org/images/uploads/docs/Hidden_Killer.pdf

Of course this is blatantly wrong and deeply disturbing also (Victoria dumping raw waste into the ocean) . Two wrongs don't make a right though... I hope it wasn't brought up in this thread to provide deflection to the dumping of un-natural amounts of invasive atlantic salmon fish farm pathogens, disease, virus'es and parasites into the ocean. You wouldn't do that , would you, OBD?;)
Doing something like this I would think affects the complete ecosystem in that bay in an un-natural way. Are we no better than a third world country when it comes to aquaculture?
Sure doesn't seem like it....

Here's a petition that can be signed also. Not sure if this video or petition link has been posted earlier... Apologies if they have and I missed them.
Actually they were, (first OP, post) Screw it... I'll just repost them anyways.

https://actions.sumofus.org/a/minis...akid=36997.8152353.wdjUUK&rd=1&source=fwd&t=2

Last edited:
Nothing new here folks-- move on. Roughly 17 years ago Browns Bay turned red ( the whole bay) when a pipe under Packing Plant separated. It was reported , with pictures ( mine) to DFO in Campbell River who assured me they would take care of it. And they did ! The plant put in a longer pipe .

wow.

Its not acceptable for anyone including sport fishers to release blood and guts into the ocean. Wild/enhanced salmon carry just as many viruses including prv as do farmed salmon. The video's lacks context when it does not address blood release from all users. What I find even worse is blood release in rivers and streams. Its a totally accepted practice and to me it is very very wrong.

But this is supposed to be all about fish farms so those who see through the tunnel, carry on. Im not sure what the industry response will be but mine certainly isn't its.
Seriously? Blood release from all users? LOL. Blood release in rivers and streams from fish that naturally migrate/ reside in those rivers/ streams? Wtf? Am I missing something here? Wow, this industrial farmed atlantic effluent does not belong in BC waters. Comparing it to cleaning a sport caught wild BC salmon in my boat and throwing the head/ guts overboard is fu*king ridiculous. What about the tuna blood? Save it for the garden?

Comparing the dumping of commercial Atlantic salmon waste to cleaning natural fish is completely missing the point. This is more like letting the blood from a cow slaughterhouse drain into fields with a wild Bovine population. It simply would never happen in any properly regulated livestock industry.

Seriously? Blood release from all users? LOL. Blood release in rivers and streams from fish that naturally migrate/ reside in those rivers/ streams? Wtf? Am I missing something here? Wow, this industrial farmed atlantic effluent does not belong in BC waters. Comparing it to cleaning a sport caught wild BC salmon in my boat and throwing the head/ guts overboard is fu*king ridiculous. What about the tuna blood? Save it for the garden?

I would consider tuna blood product from an alien species if release inshore waters.
Look at it this way. You have children and they are surrounded by a seemingly healthy population. By your logic in your post you would not vaccinate them? Animals have viruses, they just do and to believe that salmon that just spent years in the open ocean haven't been exposed to a multitude of viruses and is not a career of those viruses is short sighted.

Comparing the dumping of commercial Atlantic salmon waste to cleaning natural fish is completely missing the point. This is more like letting the blood from a cow slaughterhouse drain into fields with a wild Bovine population. It simply would never happen in any properly regulated livestock industry.

Im not comparing them at all. I saying there is risk no mater what the blood comes from. Before salmon farms it was a commercial fishing and canaries doing this. The Time/Salmon numbers curve on the graph would show a direct correlation with this type of fishing and I do not think it would be fair to exclude the handling of blood as part of the issue.

I would like to compare them tho. I think it would be a great study to compare salmon farm blood with wild salmon blood to see how the virus loads compare.

My intent here is to make the discussion about benefiting wild salmon by looking at the issue as a whole however this is alway a challenge when there so many heavy rounds of cool aid going around about salmon farms.

This is really just another example of an environmental subsidy given to the fish farm industry. Instead of properly controlling their waste because it’s too expensive, they’re allowed to continue using the environment as their profiting tool.

I would love to see these environmental subsidies paid for or proper protocols put into place. It would probably make costs so high that they will finally move to land based operations and raise their product costs to match. Salmon shouldn’t be some mass produced cheap option anyways, make people pay a premium.

My intent here is to make the discussion about benefiting wild salmon by looking at the issue as a whole however this is alway a challenge when there so many heavy rounds of cool aid going around about salmon farms.

Issue as a whole? The only issue here is that this practice is disgusting and harmful to local species and waters and needs to stop. You are implying sporties cleaning fish at sea somehow compares to this? Sounds like you’ve been hitting some “heavy rounds “ of something yourself.

I would like to compare them tho. I think it would be a great study to compare salmon farm blood with wild salmon blood to see how the virus loads compare.
The penny drops...

This is one area where - maybe not surprisingly - we agree, BN.

That investigation into transmission dynamics, epidemiology and fish health (virulence, morbidity effects and mortality) is impossible w/o having real-time and geographically accurate public and open reporting of fish health outbreaks - something that the protectors (that are also unfortunately the regulators: MoaBC, CFIA, and DFO) of the open net-cage industry - refuse to do.

Other countries do this - but in Canada - it is a big secret. I believe this approach to be irresponsible and criminal.

One more time. I am not making a comparison I am only proposing the possibility of risk on this issue by looking at the whole picture. I am not asking anyone to change their habits despite a lack of defendable data or peer review science stating it is safe to do so. Im really trying to keep it about wild salmon which often get brushed aside as soon as there is a fish farm in the picture. This topic is a perfect example where the self describe care givers of wild salmon are more than willing to look the other way.

The penny drops...

This is one area where - maybe not surprisingly - we agree, BN.

That investigation into transmission dynamics, epidemiology and fish health (virulence, morbidity effects and mortality) is impossible w/o having real-time and geographically accurate public and open reporting of fish health outbreaks - something that the protectors (that are also unfortunately the regulators: MoaBC, CFIA, and DFO) of the open net-cage industry - refuse to do.

Other countries do this - but in Canada - it is a big secret. I believe this approach to be irresponsible and criminal.

Even if you knew about an out break on a salmon farm up until recently you can not know how this virus transmits into its environment. This work is underway however although activist are very eager to use out breaks with a lack of info to support their cause.

Perhaps if there wasn't an aggressive lobby via funding and activism etc that more than willing to bend the truth there might be more transparency. I hate to say it but thats where we are in the world today. Incomplete information is gold for activists. Look at this topic. The videos and news articles thrives on images without facts or quantification leaving the consumer of those stores to react with a total lack of objectivity. That can make you blood boil but if you are baffled by this situation then I cant help you. Its pretty obvious to me. I dont necessarily agree with it but its where we are at and until activist get very honest the situation isn't going to change much and you agent are stuck with conspiracy theories.

Back