Artificial Reefs

P

Pablo2079

What are your thoughts on constructing artificial reefs to improve habitat?

I've always thought it would be a good idea (especially on the mainland side of the Strait of Georgia) since there is so much flat & sandy bottom out there. I've actually considered constructing a small one myself, but realize I would probably be doing something illegal.

The only legal ones I know of are ships that have been sunk to provide dive sites for BC's large Scuba Diving community.
Of course they have fish on them but are closed to angling.

that's why there's a warranty!

I've read about the Chaudiere(sp?) and others.... and a soon to be sunk 737 near Nanaimo (or maybe it's already on the bottom now). I've got to think that they still help the overall fishing situation since they'll act as nurseries for young bottomfish.

I was thinking of trying to make a small kelp bed by submerging some good foothold material (old pier blocks) at about 25 feet and then seeding it with some bull kelp. Seems like Howe Sound/South Sunshine Coast is devoid of kelp beds. There used to be one up by Roberts Creek, but it's been gone for a few years now (at least the last time I was there)....

Demco99 - Any idea as to the reason? I still see lots of "Jap" weed (not sure what the PC term is for it), but the kelp is very scarce. I still see it wash up from time to time, but I assume it's from the Gulf Islands or somewhere else on that side. Maybe it's a salinity thing??

Back