Arima boats

scott craven

Any Arima owners on the forum want to comment on the product ?
I'm interested in the Searanger 17/19.
Pro's/con's ?

Thanks !:)

Hi RS, I own a 17 ft Sea Ranger. Its a 1988 and I bought used one year ago and I am very happy with it. Lots of pros for this boat. It is quite a wide boat so it makes it very stable. Lots of room under the canopy even for a 6 ft 4 inch buddy of mine to stand up. I have also noticed that it doesn't take a lot of water to launch either(or float). I normally have a buddy of mine tow the boat for me with his truck but I own a 2003 Ford Winstar and don't have any problems towing the boat. I have a 90 HP Yamaha and it has no problem going up on a plane even with 3 guys on board. Their Web site boasts that they haven't had a transom failure in over 4000 boats. Being completely filled with foam they will always float even with a hole in the hull. However any boat will flip over. Over all I am very happy with this boat and don't think I would trade it for another boat. Now with that being said..... THIS IS NOT A DEEP V BOAT and I have noticed that they can be a little bit bouncy when trying to run in a bad lump and that is the only thing I don't like about the boat. It does plane at rather slow speed (3300 RPM) and still takes the waves good and seems to handle rough weather good as well. I hope this helps you decide and if you ever want to try one out let me know and I can take you for a ride in mine. Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

Hi RS, I own a 17 ft Sea Ranger. Its a 1988 and I bought used one year ago and I am very happy with it. Lots of pros for this boat. It is quite a wide boat so it makes it very stable. Lots of room under the canopy even for a 6 ft 4 inch buddy of mine to stand up. I have also noticed that it doesn't take a lot of water to launch either(or float). I normally have a buddy of mine tow the boat for me with his truck but I own a 2003 Ford Winstar and don't have any problems towing the boat. I have a 90 HP Yamaha and it has no problem going up on a plane even with 3 guys on board. Their Web site boasts that they haven't had a transom failure in over 4000 boats. Being completely filled with foam they will always float even with a hole in the hull. However any boat will flip over. Over all I am very happy with this boat and don't think I would trade it for another boat. Now with that being said..... THIS IS NOT A DEEP V BOAT and I have noticed that they can be a little bit bouncy when trying to run in a bad lump and that is the only thing I don't like about the boat. It does plane at rather slow speed (3300 RPM) and still takes the waves good and seems to handle rough weather good as well. I hope this helps you decide and if you ever want to try one out let me know and I can take you for a ride in mine. Steve.

This is my 17 foot Arima Sea Ranger.
1988_Arima_17__004-335406977.jpg

Thanks S/R...
There is one for sale in Duncan right now, without power
and they want 11K, which seems pretty rich for a boat with no motor ?

Thanks S/R...
There is one for sale in Duncan right now, without power
and they want 11K, which seems pretty rich for a boat with no motor ?

RS; a good friend of mine had a 19' Arima hard top until 2 years ago and it was a really nice boat. Well designed and well laid out and stable in the water. He towed it with an Explorer 6cycl, 4WD, and it was fine. It came with a 90hp Honda and was a little underpowered with that I found. But still worked fine. Yup, double hull with foam fill, and I think plastic stringers if memory serves right - so no rot. But as said before, you pay for the better quality. Not a cheap boat. Built in Seattle.

RS; a good friend of mine had a 19' Arima hard top until 2 years ago and it was a really nice boat. Well designed and well laid out and stable in the water. He towed it with an Explorer 6cycl, 4WD, and it was fine. It came with a 90hp Honda and was a little underpowered with that I found. But still worked fine. Yup, double hull with foam fill, and I think plastic stringers if memory serves right - so no rot. But as said before, you pay for the better quality. Not a cheap boat. Built in Seattle.

Someone on the other forum also looking at an Arima, here's what I posted there....

Bought an older 17' sea chaser a few months ago. Fantastic fishing boat, with an 8 ft beam, there is so much room to move around and fish. The bow is a bit light, the entire boat/motor/trailer supposed to be only around 2500 lb. Easy to tow with smaller vehicle. I store the kicker gas tank and an extra tank of gas for the main in the cuddy along with other gear for weight. My older model only has a 18 us gal tank, not big enough. Newer models do come with a 27 gal with an optional additional 20 tank. My 17 is max rated for 120 HP, I run a 115 Johnson, and top out a 38 mph. Even in rough seas i can cruise easily at 20. Gets up and planes very easy, even with 3 guys + gear, around 10 mph. The hull design includes rear extended pods which make the boat stable:
"These devices, which could be called pods or after planes, are very critical to the design of the ARIMA boat. They are what makes the boat plane out at such a low speed and so quickly. The after planes add additional displacement to the hull which makes the boat more stable and makes the boat handle and feel like a bigger boat. In addition to these qualities the shape of the after plane makes the boat track straight. They are also used when launching the boat. Suffice it to say the after planes make the ARIMA Boat distinctive in the way it runs and the way it looks. "
I highly recommend Arimas, I have contacted the company with a few questions about mine, and they were very helpful and willing to provide any info I needed from my hull ser #.

RSC, what year is the hull you are looking at? Mine is 1982 and shows some cracking in the gelcoat floor etc.

Someone on the other forum also looking at an Arima, here's what I posted there....

Bought an older 17' sea chaser a few months ago. Fantastic fishing boat, with an 8 ft beam, there is so much room to move around and fish. The bow is a bit light, the entire boat/motor/trailer supposed to be only around 2500 lb. Easy to tow with smaller vehicle. I store the kicker gas tank and an extra tank of gas for the main in the cuddy along with other gear for weight. My older model only has a 18 us gal tank, not big enough. Newer models do come with a 27 gal with an optional additional 20 tank. My 17 is max rated for 120 HP, I run a 115 Johnson, and top out a 38 mph. Even in rough seas i can cruise easily at 20. Gets up and planes very easy, even with 3 guys + gear, around 10 mph. The hull design includes rear extended pods which make the boat stable:
"These devices, which could be called pods or after planes, are very critical to the design of the ARIMA boat. They are what makes the boat plane out at such a low speed and so quickly. The after planes add additional displacement to the hull which makes the boat more stable and makes the boat handle and feel like a bigger boat. In addition to these qualities the shape of the after plane makes the boat track straight. They are also used when launching the boat. Suffice it to say the after planes make the ARIMA Boat distinctive in the way it runs and the way it looks. "
I highly recommend Arimas, I have contacted the company with a few questions about mine, and they were very helpful and willing to provide any info I needed from my hull ser #.

RSC, what year is the hull you are looking at? Mine is 1982 and shows some cracking in the gelcoat floor etc.

Not sure what year, i'm only looking at this point...
always good to get input from the forum members before,
jumping in.

Not sure what year, i'm only looking at this point...
always good to get input from the forum members before,
jumping in.

Good boats, I have a 16 Sea Chaser.
Well built, good design, handles well, great cockpit for fishing.
Check the owner website on Yuku (search "Arima Yuku").
Sea Ranger and Lazoman have already touched on the one failing in the design, but it is not a big fault. Tradeoff is the stability you get for fishing.
If I got rid of mine (which I don't plan on)I'd move up to the 17.

The one in Duncan may be a bit overpriced, but they don't state the age of the hull.

There's a 2004 set up with a 8 & 90 Yamaha's etc at Galleon in Richmond for sale, asking 24K.

The ranger is about 200 lb heavier and 3" taller. Cuddy has a foredeck glass hatch, an anchor box and small side windows. The website has a brochure you can download. The Sea Chaser is classed as a forward cudddy, while the Sea Ranger is classed an "overnighter"?
www.arimaboats.com

Stepped into a 17' seachaser at SG power today.
that boat has huge deck space for a 17' boat...
I was impressed.
I would be interested in how it would sea trial with a 90 hp 4-stroke
on the back.[?]

That's everyone's impression, there is so much room on the deck. That along with the deep cockpit make a very fishable boat. A 90 will push it just fine, they are max rated at 120, most you see around are 90 hp, even 75 hp.

Back