Area 14 SFAC meeting Wed. Jan. 28 7-9PM

GLG

Sport Fishing Advisory Committee (SFAC) will hold an informational meeting at the Courtenay and District Fish and Game Club. Here is a chance to find out what this volunteer group is doing for us. GLG

Thanks for posting this GLG-- here is a bit more info

quote:Area 14 Sports Fishing Advisory Committee Meeting
Please mark on your calendar this meeting January 28th, 7pm, and new location for this meeting. (Courtenay Club House)

If anyone has questions as to how this advisory process works to provide advice to DFO re sport fishing, this is the opportunity to provide input and to hear just how the process works.

We have decided to hold a meeting and invite the public who might be interested in who and what we are, to come to the Courtenay club on Wednesday the 28th of January at 7pm.

This will be an information meeting and a question and answer meeting on things that are going on in Area 14. It will include salmon issues, groundfish and shellfish in our local area.

We anticipate that representatives from DFO will be present if possible.

This should be an interesting meeting.

Thanks.

Gerry Scott Chair Area 14 SFAC

For those that dont know, the best way to get to the Courtenay Club House is by driving up Lake Trail Road until you hit the Colake logging road. ( turn left at the stop sign where Lake Trail intersects the logging road) Drive up towards Comox lake, there is only one cross street-- Bevan road- ignore it.) Continue along for a couple of kms or so-- turn left into club property, through the yellow steel gate. Drive into the clubhouse at the lake. meeting is in the upstairs mainhall.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Thanks for posting this GLG-- here is a bit more info

quote:Area 14 Sports Fishing Advisory Committee Meeting
Please mark on your calendar this meeting January 28th, 7pm, and new location for this meeting. (Courtenay Club House)

If anyone has questions as to how this advisory process works to provide advice to DFO re sport fishing, this is the opportunity to provide input and to hear just how the process works.

We have decided to hold a meeting and invite the public who might be interested in who and what we are, to come to the Courtenay club on Wednesday the 28th of January at 7pm.

This will be an information meeting and a question and answer meeting on things that are going on in Area 14. It will include salmon issues, groundfish and shellfish in our local area.

We anticipate that representatives from DFO will be present if possible.

This should be an interesting meeting.

Thanks.

Gerry Scott Chair Area 14 SFAC

For those that dont know, the best way to get to the Courtenay Club House is by driving up Lake Trail Road until you hit the Colake logging road. ( turn left at the stop sign where Lake Trail intersects the logging road) Drive up towards Comox lake, there is only one cross street-- Bevan road- ignore it.) Continue along for a couple of kms or so-- turn left into club property, through the yellow steel gate. Drive into the clubhouse at the lake. meeting is in the upstairs mainhall.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Thanks CL. I had a feeling you would post more info.
If anyone wants to car pool we can list it here.
GLG

Thanks CL. I had a feeling you would post more info.
If anyone wants to car pool we can list it here.
GLG

I won't be able to attend the meeting, but have at least one question that I've wondered about. Why are commercial fishers allowed the following activities within a Rockfish Conservation Area?

- salmon by seine or gillnet
- herring by gillnet, seine and spawn-on-kelp
- sardine by gillnet, seine, and trap
- smelt by gillnet
- euphausiid (krill) by mid-water trawl
- opal squid by seine
- groundfish by mid-water trawl (*****especially this one*****)

I know the RCAs are improving the populations of rockfish and lings, but I still believe they should be offlimits to all. I wonder what the by-catch has been on the protected species?

So I know Lazoman can’t make the meeting.
I’ll be there with one of my fishing buddies.
Anyone else from this site going?
GLG

why is there no notices posted anywhere in area 14 regarding this meeting....just heard from a friend about this in Parksville....there are probably more anglers and lodge owners in area 14 than anywhere on Vancouver Island and would be a waste of time to go through the motions and have a poor turnout.....been to peters, gone fishing, and did not see anything about this meeting....nothing in French Creek, Nanoose, Deep Bay, Nile Fly shop, or anywhere else Ive been that would display such notices........

HookedUp-- fair comment-- but it has been in the most widely read outdoors column in Area 14-- Ralph Shaws column. It has also gone out on an extensive email list too. Why no posters? Would be nice to at least have something at Gone Fishing and Tyee. I will try to see that something is provided when I get my printer back from the shop.

Since we are ALL volunteers, and dont get paid to wander around area 14 doing the work of a publicity person, we are always looking for folks to step up and spread the word. So can we count on you to help out by taking the time to let folks in French Creek , Nile Creek and Bowser about the meeting? It would be much appreciated.
Why no reference to Parksville? ( areas 14-1 and 14-2) quite simply because inspite of previous attempts to recruit interest from that area, they lean more toward the Nanaimo SFAC. But that is old history-- if anyone wants to stir up the Parksville guys and get them to Courtenay, they would be more than welcome.

btw-- the Chair is in Saskachewan for a few more days, I expect there will be an effort to get a bit more publicty when he gets back.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

HookedUp-- fair comment-- but it has been in the most widely read outdoors column in Area 14-- Ralph Shaws column. It has also gone out on an extensive email list too. Why no posters? Would be nice to at least have something at Gone Fishing and Tyee. I will try to see that something is provided when I get my printer back from the shop.

Since we are ALL volunteers, and don't get paid to wander around area 14 doing the work of a publicity person, we are always looking for folks to step up and spread the word. So can we count on you to help out by taking the time to let folks in French Creek , Nile Creek and Bowser about the meeting? It would be much appreciated.
Why no reference to Parksville? ( areas 14-1 and 14-2) quite simply because in spite of previous attempts to recruit interest from that area, they lean more toward the Nanaimo SFAC. But that is old history-- if anyone wants to stir up the Parksville guys and get them to Courtenay, they would be more than welcome.

btw-- the Chair is in Saskatchewan for a few more days, I expect there will be an effort to get a bit more publicity when he gets back.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder
No one is asking anyone to wander around area14....You seem to post very defensive replies when asked about what is supposed to be a very open process for rec anglers get involved with DFO...I'm sure DFO has a budget or could at the very least mail out notices on behalf of your group to all of the above mentioned businesses or groups....I have friends in our local fly club who never seem to have contact with your group and wonder aloud as to why the area 14 group is made up almost exclusively of residents of the Comox Valley.... as a long time reader of postings here I have seen several references to this newspaper column in regards to the area 14 goings on. As a resident of the Oceanside area (Parksville / Qualicum ) this is simply not an option for the thousands of anglers south of say Fanny Bay who don't receive the Comox newspapers... Your group should be spending more time developing contacts in our area, also area 14, and at the very least posting meeting times and places for the hundreds if not thousands of recreational anglers who live south of Fanny Bay.
Its my understanding from talking with some other anglers today that this meeting will be the first one for area 14 that is being held outside of normal working hours (smart move) but by not developing a strategy to inform those who were never able to attend due to work commitments is a serious over site. Isn't the idea of having this meeting in the evening to accommodate those who were not able to attend in years past?...expanding the e-mail contact list to include the above mention businesses, fly clubs, fish and game clubs, enhancement groups, marinas, first nations, individuals should be done as part of this meeting....see you there

No-- not defensive. Just trying to explain why things are what they are. We dont get a cent from DFO for anything. One of the main reasons for daytime meetings is to assure that as many relevant DFO personnel as possible can/will attend. But rather than this back and forth stuff can you help out by spreading the word down to Parksville? It would be much appreciated.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by lazoman

I won't be able to attend the meeting, but have at least one question that I've wondered about. Why are commercial fishers allowed the following activities within a Rockfish Conservation Area?

- smelt by gillnet
- opal squid by seine

I know the RCAs are improving the populations of rockfish and lings, but I still believe they should be offlimits to all. I wonder what the by-catch has been on the protected species?

seine and gillnet don't come close to the bottem. but in any case double check your facts. pretty sure rca's are closed to commercial activity.

No-- not defensive. Just trying to explain why things are what they are. We dont get a cent from DFO for anything. One of the main reasons for daytime meetings is to assure that as many relevant DFO personnel as possible can/will attend. But rather than this back and forth stuff can you help out by spreading the word down to Parksville? It would be much appreciated.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder
The back and forth stuff is good for all who may read it, as it gets the discussion moving forward to a point where all areas of area 14 are included in these important meetings...excluding</u> the people that should be attending the meetings (the angling public)and scheduling these meetings around attendance DFO personnel should be re-visited. From what I am able to find out is that DFO personnel attend these meetings province wide during the evenings and on weekends as well....DFO must</u> know the agenda of these meetings well in advance and as with other SFAB's province wide send the appropriate personnel to these meetings regardless of when and where they are being held....not allowing the angling public to attend just to accommodate DFO personnel defeats the whole purpose of these meetings....is it not true that all other SFAB's in the province meet during the evening hours or on the weekends for this exact reason??????....no wonder people from Fanny Bay south, or for that instance the immediate Comox area have little or no chance to have their voices heard....why not address this at the meeting as well....

quote:quote:Originally posted by lazoman

- smelt by gillnet
- opal squid by seine

seine and gillnet don't come close to the bottem. but in any case double check your facts. pretty sure rca's are closed to commercial activity.

Fisher69...the above list I copied directly from the DFO RCA website. I realize the net activity is not targeted to the bottom, or bottom species, but why are sport fishers not allowed this same grace and allowed to troll through an RCA when salmon fishing ?? Just because we troll closer to the bottom?

I personally don't mind being kept away from the RCA's when salmon fishing, but believe that commercials should as well.

quote:But rather than this back and forth stuff can you help out by spreading the word down to Parksville? It would be much appreciated.

Let me know. Are you willing to help?

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:But rather than this back and forth stuff can you help out by spreading the word down to Parksville? It would be much appreciated.

Let me know. Are you willing to help?

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder
ave to see how the meeting goes and if the turnout is what it should be....if there is not the number of persons sitting on the area 14 board who could get the word out or for some reason have overlooked the task of getting the word out then maybe the group up there should look at splitting area 14 into two groups...north and south so this sfab thing works for EVERYONE in area 14....

Hookedup thanks for coming and do bring up your concerns.
Islandgirl thanks and will see you there.
MyEscape I will deliver your email address to someone on the board.

For others here is a map of the area 14. If you live here please make an effort to attend, as this is our best way to influence decisions in our area. GLG
area14.jpg

Back