Are we losing what makes B.C. special?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to take a conflict of interest riddled article like that seriously. They didn't site where they got those stats and how they were gathered.

They may be right, but to what degree, couldn't tell you. Tree hugging is big business, no different to the corporations they supposedly are against.

BC isn't what it was 100 yeas ago, but neither is anywhere else. Relative to everywhere else, we're still a better place to be.

"For example, on Vancouver Island, the black-tailed deer estimate has declined by 70 per cent over the past four decades."

Whoever wrote this hasn't driven through Victoria lately ;)
Or Parksville, they are like rats there.

Oh how I miss the Fraser chinook--oh how I miss them! Made Sooke one of the best places to be mid-June to mid-July.

As for those urban blacktail...still trying to figure out how to coax them into my freezer.

Hard to take a conflict of interest riddled article like that seriously. They didn't site where they got those stats and how they were gathered.

They may be right, but to what degree, couldn't tell you. Tree hugging is big business, no different to the corporations they supposedly are against.

Yes, for instance in 1965 when .6% of government expenditures went to Fish & Wildlife, government expenditures were $488 million. The budget is now over $48 billion and .06% of that is a significant increase.

The underlying cause is population growth so government can only slow down the damage done but not stop it. In 1965 BC had 1.8 million people and last year there were 4.75 million. Citizens need a place to live, food to eat, jobs to work at and non-urban areas for recreation. Wildlife is a competitor for all that.

Cleaned up another thread. This has become a trend over the last week or so. This is a general, blanket statement for those who can't seem to help themselves and get into these arguments on a regular basis...we are done with the warnings so the next clean up will be removing members from the community.

Paints a different story to the original posted article by AA.

All in all, for the population explosion here and all the commercial traffic the Tree Huggers hate, it looks like we are on the right track.

I certainly got a different impression as stated above. Down here in WA Victoria's lack of sewage treatment surfaces as big news from time to time. From the article linked by GLC it makes me wonder if sewage treatment is a bigger issue than just Victoria. Not throwing rocks we have our issues with sewage as well.

I guess one way to look at the sewage issue is what area's are and are not closed to shellfish because of sewage.
Looks to me like BC is heading down the same path as WA; just that we are 50 years or so ahead.

well considering u used to be able to stand in street shoes and catch 30lb chinook off shorelines in Campbell River and catch 30-40-50 steelhead in a season from a dozen different Island rivers I'd say things have changed. Obviously with more people and poor management of the resources we are in danger of seeing much of this disappear. BC needs to take ownership and manage all our fisheries fresh and saltwater. It's ours. We reap its rewards and we bleed it's collapse. Nobody gains more from its strength and nobody suffers more from its decline. We need federal dollars but the province of BC needs to take over stewardship of this industry and insure it's success and its future.

We need to try to do something to turn the tide. For starters we could help BCWF lead by answering the call.

Sign the Petition
Petition to the Province to dedicate licence fees from hunting and other resource users directly to fish and wildlife management
http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/

signed also.

Yes, for instance in 1965 when .6% of government expenditures went to Fish & Wildlife, government expenditures were $488 million. The budget is now over $48 billion and .06% of that is a significant increase.

The underlying cause is population growth so government can only slow down the damage done but not stop it. In 1965 BC had 1.8 million people and last year there were 4.75 million. Citizens need a place to live, food to eat, jobs to work at and non-urban areas for recreation. Wildlife is a competitor for all that.

That is the real problem and short of federal government intervention I don't even know what could be done about it. Not to say that conservation efforts aren't worthwhile - they very often are - but at some point the only possible solution is to reduce the demand for resources, and sadly it seems virtually impossible to convince anyone that that is the primary issue to address.

The real tragedy is that, absent immigration, Canada's population would actually be falling, so it would be getting better instead of worse if we were prepared to accept the downsides of a shrinking population, and unlike a lot of countries we could actually very easily institute policies that would lead to a shrinking population without even slightly infringing on the rights of Canadian citizens, because instead of pushing people to breed less, we could just start allowing fewer people in.

But nobody is ready to face that reality yet, as far as I can tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back