AP Tackleworks Suggestions

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by Ceilidh69, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Ceilidh69

Ceilidh69 Member

Starting the tackle resupply and upgrades early this year - anyone have any suggestions for colours and sizes for the AP Tackleworks sand lance and anchovy spoons? Mostly fish West Coast VCI.

Thanks

2. CIVANO

CIVANO Well-Known Member

The 4" herring and 4" sand lance worked best for me in Lemon Lime or similar colors. 60" leader. The herring outfished bait for me - but that could be because of my roll.

3. ILHG

ILHG Well-Known Member

Agree, the 4" have been my top producers.

4. advTHXance

advTHXance Well-Known Member

Depends where you fish. The 4" needlefish work best for me in the Sidney area. Up in the Haida Gwaii I had more success with the anchovy and herring imitations (both 4" and 5" versions)

MVP and lemon/lime seem to be popular choices for color combos.

Brought a whack of them to the lodge, and all the other guides loved them. Many days they would outfish bait, however a few guys had issues with hooks breaking after pinching the barbs. The hooks on my older AP spoons seem a little beefier and higher quality, so idk if a change was made due to costs or if Im just imagining things, but I would suggest you swap out the hooks if youre targeting fish bigger than 15 or 20 lbs

5. Andrew P

Andrew P Well-Known Member

@advTHXance the hooks have always been the same. I've stuck with Mustad 9510 SS but had a batch of 5/0 last spring that was more brittle than normal and it would have been when your HG spoons were heading out. I'm open minded to changing for the larger spoons; the metal guage for 9510 in 4/0 and under is less brittle.

advTHXance likes this.
  6. advTHXance

advTHXance Well-Known Member

Didnt mean to sound as if I was unhappy with them, Andrew. The day after I brought them back, we had 2 tyees hit our dock after what seemed like weeks without any! I personally only had 1 hook snap up there, and some days we were catching dozens of fish on a single lure. Best lure currently in production imo! :)

I had never had any problems with the hooks previously, so a bad batch makes perfect sense. I used the same sandlance one summer in Renfrew until the hookpoint was about 1/2" shorter from constant re-sharpening.

SpringFever552 likes this.
  7. Andrew P

Andrew P Well-Known Member

No worries....I like the feedback. AND hate hooks snapping! The latest bacth of mustad are much better, but still open to suggestions.

8. wolf

wolf Well-Known Member

Well i always say match the hatch!!!!last year we had little tiny herring like 3 to 4 icnh some even smaller I used the bluewolf mini 3 inch model and almost got a fish everyday on it, I love the spoons I run short though 3 to 4 ft leaders as i want it to dance. i find that works best for me..Thanks Andrew ....BTW hows mexico!!!!ill be there in 17 days not that im counting.....