Ap spoons

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by jwood99, Feb 2, 2018.

1. jwood99

jwood99 New Member

just curious why leader lengths you guys are running for the ap anchovies spoons.

Thanks

2. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

36-60" depending on time of year.

jwood99 likes this.
  3. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Active Member

Scott what time of year do you run shorter leaders?

4. scott craven

Now, winter !

wildmanyeah likes this.
  5. I Love Haida Gwaii

I Love Haida Gwaii Well-Known Member

I run mine ~60". Haven't tried shorter or longer because it works..

CIVANO and jwood99 like this.
  6. CIVANO

CIVANO Well-Known Member

If you run bait on one side like I do, I got the bait rolling speed and then checked the spoon at the side of the boat. 60" looked best with that speed - and I troll faster than most. If you troll bait with a slower speed, the leader would most likely be shortened. The AP catches Lots of fish!

7. scott craven

I also find the bigger spoons like the Herring size require a longer leader.
    Andrew makes a great product.

8. scott craven

Also, I always watch the spoon beside the boat before sending it down.
    check the action and experiment by giving it a slight bend to get an erratic darting action.

9. rockdog

rockdog Well-Known Member

I always have a look before sending it down. Sometimes fish, or the landing a fish process, will bend the spoon a bit.
    And I agree Scott, great spoon. All I run are a few different teaser heads and a bunch of different AP's.

I Love Haida Gwaii likes this.
  10. BCRingo

BCRingo Active Member

Direct from the source:
    ;)

Attached Files:

11. Prawn Star

Prawn Star Member

I always thought the dummy flasher was above the main line. Would it not get tangled with the mainline as indicated in this diagram.

12. casper5280

casper5280 Well-Known Member

That’s the way I run mine. If the dummy flasher is 6 ft back I run my mainline up a little higher so when dropping down it doesn’t tangle. I would think doing it the other way round you tangle more dropping it down.

Original likes this.
  13. Gear'n'beer!

Gear'n'beer! Well-Known Member

Dummy right off the ball. Lure up 4'. Super easy to play with your "leader" length also.

rockdog likes this.
  14. Ruff

Ruff Member

I only run dummy flashers. I run a blue Scotty snubbed to my ball and then connect my clip to the top hardware on the snubber. Run a 48" clip and have never had a problem with tangles. I run a daisy chain on one side and a standard flasher on the other. My leader from the back eye on the ball to the flasher is roughly 20". I typically run bait on one side and an AP spoon on the other. We do pretty well.....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  15. walleyes

walleyes Well-Known Member

It's nice when they are in thick enough to run a dummy flasher but there are times when the action of the flasher helps.
    It is a blast hitting them on a line with a dummy flasher though hands down a better felt fight. We snagged a nice 12# Chinook last summer on the 9 weight fly rod with 15# mono on a coyote spoon ran with a dummy flasher it was one of the best scraps I've seen in quite a while.