Any chum showing up at Browns Bay ?

Gearbox Paul

Wondering is anyone has gone fishing lately around Browns Bay and if any chum are showing either there or at Green Sea Bay / Chatham Point ? I know it's a little early but it would be good to know if they are there yet or not.

994900_540303929380596_802743724_n.jpg

I see two.... species of fish there...

[_sarYH0z948] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sarYH0z948

I took it off Browns Bay Facebook Page. Not my Fish. We are booked for the Derby though, going to be a blast!

You were going to say Sophia B on the internet killed a wild coho?

That sounds like it would work pretty good.

I wonder if Browns Bay knows they are using a picture of a dead wild coho in their advertising.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just getting the tackle ready for heading up to Browns Bay next week to see if there is any chum around...

I have a lot of trouble with these #5/0 hook eyes getting caught in my landing net with, it seems, every fish. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong! Does anyone else have trouble with this?? It's frustrating having a rod out of service, especially chum fishing when the bite is on, while I struggle to free the hook from the net. I've tried pinching the eyes better but they seemed to still get hooked up and it just made it tougher to get off the net! I'm experimenting with the electric wire shrink sleeves to seal off the gap.

Here is the hook before the shrink sleeve:

Then I use a 1/4" piece to hold the squirt skirt inverted and a 1/4" piece on the eye:

I shrink the sleeve an close the gap:

I dunno if it will work but it sets up hard and shouldn't smell worse that the squirt... Anybody else come up with a way of preventing this...maybe a less time consuming idea?

Looks like chum season out there tonight!!

Use a gaff! Problem solved. Plus there is nothing better then a bloody slimey dog squirming around on your deck.

Use a gaff! Problem solved.

X2

First tried the gaff this July and my boats been net free ever since landing salmon over 20 pounds. Get comfortable with it. There are pros and cons but one pro is your back in the water much faster.

I wonder if Browns Bay knows they are using a picture of a dead wild coho in their advertising.

That's what I was wondering too... (hence the csi related post earlier)

Yeah - my past experiences with a gaff have ranged from downright hysterical (for those watching) to just not very effective, but I will keep practicing. I'm also not very fast with species identification. Sometimes the salmon has to do a few laps in the net (at the side of the boat) while I decide if it is a Chinook, Pink, bright Chum or a Coho. The guy in the photo is not the only rookie at ID'ing fish. Good suggestion though, I will keep trying on obviously barred Chum....although the wild Coho have a better chance of survival if I just try to gaff 'em! :)

Just getting the tackle ready for heading up to Browns Bay next week to see if there is any chum around...

I have a lot of trouble with these #5/0 hook eyes getting caught in my landing net with, it seems, every fish. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong! Does anyone else have trouble with this?? It's frustrating having a rod out of service, especially chum fishing when the bite is on, while I struggle to free the hook from the net. I've tried pinching the eyes better but they seemed to still get hooked up and it just made it tougher to get off the net! I'm experimenting with the electric wire shrink sleeves to seal off the gap.

I dunno if it will work but it sets up hard and shouldn't smell worse that the squirt... Anybody else come up with a way of preventing this...maybe a less time consuming idea?

Looks like chum season out there tonight!!

Try bending the eye with an offset first.
Then bend (close) the eye as normal making sure you go far enough.
Then bend (remove) the offset out of the eye.
Three steps if you know what I mean....

Try bending the eye with an offset first.
Then bend (close) the eye as normal making sure you go far enough.
Then bend (remove) the offset out of the eye.
Three steps if you know what I mean....

Water pump pliers work pretty good. Lotsa leverage!

There was a good showing of the rec fleet with the seiners this morning. Scratch fishing. One wild coho released for our boat. A few schools of chum finning but not a lot of nets out.

Back