Any advice for an electric trolling motor?

F

ForkliftJeff

Hi all. I'm new to the site and itchin for warmer weather to go hit up my favorite lakes. I'm gonna buy an electric trolling motor this year but not sure what size to look for really. I've got a 12' Lowe with a 9.9hp Merc on it. It's always me and the wife and dog that go fishing so I want to make sure I get enough power.
IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

I was thinking the Minn Kota Traxxis motor. But what size do I need? 33lb? 40lb? Also wondering if I would get a better deal if I wait for the fisherman/outdoors show at the Tradex at the beginning of March.

Any info would be great cause I'm totally new to the whole electric trolling motor setup.

I have a 12ft fiberglass... a little heavier boat but have a endura 50 on it and that is perfect

I have a 32 Lb thrust Minn Kota that I use on my 13" Smokercraft Alaskan.It works great until the wind gets to blowing but then I don't think that any electric will do well in the wind not having a skeg to help with steering.
Dave

I would not look at anything less than 30 pounds of thrust. I have a 30 on mine, it's ample for a 12 foot tinner with 2 people and their gear but the bigger the better. Better to have too much than not enough, next time I would probably get a bigger one.

My only other piece of advise would be to look for a motor which has variable speed control as opposed to the ones that just have 5 forward speeds. Mine has that variable speed control and I like the fact that I can adjust to the exact speed I want when trolling with this type of control.

The one I am using is a Motorguide Stealth 300. It's an older unit but works great. I've had it for what seems to be about 20 years I think.

Back