Another Motor Question

F

Fishious

I have a chance to buy a (post-problem? supposedly) 2000 250 HP Johnson/Evinrude Ficht motor at a very good price, off a friend of mine. He picked this motor up off a new boat he just purchased in the States. He finds the boat to be underpowered and is going to purchase a larger motor. (him 28 ft striper/me 24 ft trophy) The package includes rigging prop, everything I need for my boat. It has approximitely 70-80 hours on the motor. Any feedback on this motor would be greatly appreciated as I have heard varying rumors to the quality of these motors. Some solid facts would be very helpful before I commit. Will be used for charter boat therefore reliability is a must.

as long as updates were done on the motor it should be awesome, i know they were having some issues with some but you take it into a dealer and plug it into a computer and update the software and i think thats all there is to it, call a mechanic theyll know moree

I have been running a 200 Evenrude Ficht motor for 5 years now, no problems (unless you count the time hitting a log) as nebarb said make sure the updates have been done, use a good quality oil and decent plugs. Only 80 hours, not even broken in yet. I burn around 8 gallons/ hour at cruise. How much is the asking price? I saw a brand new etec for sale down south for 14,500

We agreed on $5000 all included (told you it was a good deal!!!)

Does anyone know the approx. GPH fuel consumtion of a 1997 175 HP
Merc Blackmax, so I can compare it against this new motor.
My boat is a 24 ft Trophy.

5000 thats an excellent price, you won't be sorry. Let me know if you are going to pass on buying it...

I would spend the $55 and take it to an OMC dealer where they can hook it up to the computer and give you a printout of anything that has gone wrong with it since new, also it will give you the exact hours of usage the motor has had and at what hour any problems were encountered.

That's great advice Explorer that's exactly what I'll do.
Thanks alot

Back