Annual cost to tow an 'over-width' boat?

bigdogg1

It appears that boats up to 8 1/2 foot beams are allowable. I have been looking at vessels to regularly tow that at 9 and even 10 foot beams. I have looked at the requisite websites and see that one can apply for a 'seasonal' permit. However, there is no indication of cost. Can someone please inform me of the permit cost for towing a boat, say 25-27 feet with a 9' beam?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you can pull up to 9' width without a permit. The scale is the place to pick them up and ask questions too for sure. Remember if your trailer is over 4800 kg. you also need a heavy trailer endorsement.

Anything over 8'6" in width requis an oversize permit, you can call the BC permit center at
1-800-559-9688 or register for an OnRouteBC acct and received them online immediately,
I just call in and they take my money and enail the electronic permit immediately,
Remember the permit is fir the tow vehicle so be prepared with the correct Regi when asked

Over 8ft 6inch does require a permit

$15 per trip
$30 per month
$360 per year

Now ask yourself - What does that money go towards?

You will quickly find yourself not buying the permits.

I buy the 30 dollar monthly permit a couple times a year. Bit of a pain and money grab, but it gives me peace of mind if i get pulled over. Haven't been yet, knock on wood...
Usually just call in a few days before i plan on making a trip and they email me the documentation.Then I print it out and keep it in the glovebox.
My boat's 9'6" wide. I have heard alot of people running overwidth boats do disregard the overwidth permit though...
The real cost is using the ferry to and from the island. I used to go on a saturday morning, certain dates and times during the summer and I would get the "size up the savings discount." It used to be a considerable savings. But the last couple years they have been calling me "commercial" since I'm overwidth and charging me full price... usually about 450 a trip. complete BS imo...I don't even guide or anything like that. Pleasure trips only.
With the size up the savings discount in the past it was less than half that...

Last edited:
Back