Anchovies and Smiley's : )

T

TyFly

Hello all! this is my 1st ever post (so be nice). I troll for big springs often but don't usually mess around w/ bait. Lately I've been using chovies. Since treble hooks are now restricted what setup do you find works best. I have been using a gammy hook but I think I will switch over to a smaller siwash hook. Does anybody have any suggestions? Would running a trailer hook just behind the 1st be too unnatural? Please any info is appreciated. See you on the water!

The kids love me...

Not sure what you mean "treble hooks are now restricted"-do you mean barbless or that they're now banned somewhere?

Anyway it's easy to fish a 'chovy with just 2 singles (or just one of you want).

Just tie the rig carefully so that the trailer sits right at the tail of the 'chovy.

I use a smaller 1/0 hook for the leading hook which I embed in the 'chovy and a 4/0 for the trailer.

I have on occasion done a bit of a sloppy job tieing the trailer so that it stuck out a bit past the tail and Springs still grabbed no prob.

that's why there's a warranty!

Not sure what you mean "treble hooks are now restricted"-do you mean barbless or that they're now banned somewhere?

Anyway it's easy to fish a 'chovy with just 2 singles (or just one of you want).

Just tie the rig carefully so that the trailer sits right at the tail of the 'chovy.

I use a smaller 1/0 hook for the leading hook which I embed in the 'chovy and a 4/0 for the trailer.

I have on occasion done a bit of a sloppy job tieing the trailer so that it stuck out a bit past the tail and Springs still grabbed no prob.

Thanks for the reply! Aren't treble hooks now restricted in the chuck? Either way I doubt treble hooks would be very effective w/out barbs.

Thanks for the reply! Aren't treble hooks now restricted in the chuck? Either way I doubt treble hooks would be very effective w/out barbs.

No treble hooks are not retricted in the chuck.

I have been using barbless trebles for 10 years now no problems at all.

I do prefer singles because they are easier to release/don't get caught in the net so much.

I do prefer singles because they are easier to release/don't get caught in the net so much.

Back