Anbody fished Sooke?

Tsquared

Just back from a 10 day interior trip. Anybody fished Sooke in the past 2 or 3 days?
Tom

T square,my bubby is up there now,i"ll keep you posted should be back thurs. He's had tremdous luck everytime up there.P.S. dont't forget youre shrimp pot.

john vanIeperen

T square,my bubby is up there now,i"ll keep you posted should be back thurs. He's had tremdous luck everytime up there.P.S. dont't forget youre shrimp pot.

john vanIeperen

I was there last sunday and got a 35 pounder on anchovy(white glow teaser head) 9 foot leader and green sliver hotspot flasher off the trap shack. also got a nice coho on the same set up. Thinking of going back this weekend(fri-sat-sun) and was also wondering any tips? curious to know if otter point has turned on as the day we were there it seemed like thats where the better action was when we returned to sooke harbour marina. Saw a lot of fish caught at secratary island are they still there?

I was there last sunday and got a 35 pounder on anchovy(white glow teaser head) 9 foot leader and green sliver hotspot flasher off the trap shack. also got a nice coho on the same set up. Thinking of going back this weekend(fri-sat-sun) and was also wondering any tips? curious to know if otter point has turned on as the day we were there it seemed like thats where the better action was when we returned to sooke harbour marina. Saw a lot of fish caught at secratary island are they still there?

Thanks guys. I might get out there this week, so I'll keep you posted.

Thanks guys. I might get out there this week, so I'll keep you posted.

hey i was just wondering if anyone can think of another option behind anchovy for sooke? I have 3 packs but from experiance that wont last me too long if the fishing is good or if there is doggies around. i have heard herring strip (big size) can turn the trick, but was curious about artificials? I did buy some purple haze hootchies(heard they were the ticket) but havent had any luck on them, wondering if i should try the long leaders used like bait fishing(6-9 feet?) Personally i havent had any luck to speak of with summer chinooks on lures there and was curious to find out what the scoop is.

hey i was just wondering if anyone can think of another option behind anchovy for sooke? I have 3 packs but from experiance that wont last me too long if the fishing is good or if there is doggies around. i have heard herring strip (big size) can turn the trick, but was curious about artificials? I did buy some purple haze hootchies(heard they were the ticket) but havent had any luck on them, wondering if i should try the long leaders used like bait fishing(6-9 feet?) Personally i havent had any luck to speak of with summer chinooks on lures there and was curious to find out what the scoop is.

There seems to be a bit more chovies around from grays harbour i have seen ,but if you want you can try small herring the only down fall is only brine first thing in the morning or the night before after a while they just flatten out to much the trick to putting it in to an anchovie holder is to cut a notch out of the teaser head on the bottom side of it using some good side cutters. When you flip the teaser head over just follow along about a 1/2 inch to where the head turns up to where you put the line in cut it along following the same line as the flat side of the teaser head where the tab sticks out. then just cut out a little notch so the herring will fit in the bigger the notch you make the bigger the herring you can put in if you need to stiffen up the herring just slide some tooth picks along the spine or use the wire trick off of the teaser head both work well.
As for artificial I personally use the tom mack spoons or the coyote spoons if there is to much trash fish around.
Good luck wolf

There seems to be a bit more chovies around from grays harbour i have seen ,but if you want you can try small herring the only down fall is only brine first thing in the morning or the night before after a while they just flatten out to much the trick to putting it in to an anchovie holder is to cut a notch out of the teaser head on the bottom side of it using some good side cutters. When you flip the teaser head over just follow along about a 1/2 inch to where the head turns up to where you put the line in cut it along following the same line as the flat side of the teaser head where the tab sticks out. then just cut out a little notch so the herring will fit in the bigger the notch you make the bigger the herring you can put in if you need to stiffen up the herring just slide some tooth picks along the spine or use the wire trick off of the teaser head both work well.
As for artificial I personally use the tom mack spoons or the coyote spoons if there is to much trash fish around.
Good luck wolf

Hey thanx for the tips Wolf, and ya those wired anchovies are great eh? I heard about putting powdered milk in the herring/anchovy brine, does anyone know if that is a good/bad/ugly idea?

Hey thanx for the tips Wolf, and ya those wired anchovies are great eh? I heard about putting powdered milk in the herring/anchovy brine, does anyone know if that is a good/bad/ugly idea?

Powdered milk? have heard of condesed milk I just use plain old coarse salt and every day put it back in the freezer because warm bait does get soft in brine i also will put in some borox powder to brighten them up. wolf

Powdered milk? have heard of condesed milk I just use plain old coarse salt and every day put it back in the freezer because warm bait does get soft in brine i also will put in some borox powder to brighten them up. wolf

quote:

=============

EE:

Have done it for years.

What it seems to do is add a very tiny amount of abrasive(read that polishing) effect to the brine. If you dip your fingers in the brine mix and rub them together you can feel this mild abrasiveness.

It seems to keep the bait "britened up". I have never seen any negative impact.

I recall once having guests in my boat and they didn't like the looks of the brine because it was a dull or milky blue. So, the night before, I mixed two batches, one with and one without. Everyone got their choice. The "polished" bait out fished the non-polished.

Probably a coincidence, but I really like it.

Skip

quote:

=============

EE:

Have done it for years.

What it seems to do is add a very tiny amount of abrasive(read that polishing) effect to the brine. If you dip your fingers in the brine mix and rub them together you can feel this mild abrasiveness.

It seems to keep the bait "britened up". I have never seen any negative impact.

I recall once having guests in my boat and they didn't like the looks of the brine because it was a dull or milky blue. So, the night before, I mixed two batches, one with and one without. Everyone got their choice. The "polished" bait out fished the non-polished.

Probably a coincidence, but I really like it.

Skip

I'll second Pescadero's recommendation regarding the powdered milk. Ran into this down on the Columia a few years back, and been using it ever since. Does indeed brighten the bait up substantially, and yes, we conducted the same experiment fishing the milked ones against non, and YES, the ones that were polished and shining outperformed the others. So likely not just coincidence.

Cheers,
Nog

I'll second Pescadero's recommendation regarding the powdered milk. Ran into this down on the Columia a few years back, and been using it ever since. Does indeed brighten the bait up substantially, and yes, we conducted the same experiment fishing the milked ones against non, and YES, the ones that were polished and shining outperformed the others. So likely not just coincidence.

Cheers,
Nog

Fished Secretary this am, handful of shaker springs, 1 hatchery coho, 1 sockeye and NO DOGGIES which was nice. Heard of a few springs getting caught but did not see any landed.
Tom

Back