Aluminum Reel's..Islander, Trophy, RST etc...

burnsy22

Just curious how often maintenance is needed on these reels....I fish about 20-25 times a year and was hoping for a maybe once or twice a year oiling/maintenance regime.

Also it appears that each reel has its own issues/quirks. It seems like the trophy has issues with being too sensitive on the drag and the MR3 still has creep issues.

Is the MR2 a better option? Or is the smaller arbour going to be really noticeable? I used the the 4000GT's this year and they were alright but was looking to spend some xmas money this year and get my self something better.

Also the RST reel is another option, the most expensive, but it requires zero maintenance, but it also has the smaller arbour. Just curious if anyone had a chance to use the RST reel? I know Gronk posted on this site about getting one, I was hoping for an end of the year review on them.

Just looking for some opinions....This decision is proving to be more difficult than I thought.

Thanks

Hi Shane,

I have owned MR2 & MR3 Islanders, they are awesome reels. I like my MR3 a lot and will more than likely never part with it(???). My MR2 reels were serviced every year and seemed to work fine other than a slight creep if cranked down hard on the rigger. My MR3 has never been serviced or taken a part since day one (5yrs., Hhmmm, maybe I should think about that). I have fished TFO, Trophy XL and Trophy QR, Mahama, Shimano, daiwa, Quantum, Peetz, Isuzu, Hardy, and yes the RST. I have recently been testing a new knock off reel, I have the first one, it's pretty good so far, it was given to me by Amundson to test fish for them before production.

My favorite top four in order of listing = RST, MR3, MR2, Hardy. I really like the Amundson prototype reel a lot, but I need to fish it more before I run totally behind it.

We sold 9 RST reels this past season and everyone accept one person loved their reel. The issue that the one fellow had was with the placement of the line release switch. I sold him a Pink MR3 and then sold his returned RST two days later to another regular.

There are lots of really good reels on the market, look at price/warranty/quality/access/feedback.

DHA.

Don't give up your 4000GT's, most aluminum reels require way more maintenance
and line creep is quite often a problem.
just my opinion. ;)

Hey Burnsy22,

I have an extra MR3 (Gold) that I won in a fishing derby this year. Never been used (still in its box). If you are interested... can let it go a little cheaper than retail and also save the taxes. Just a thought.

Ive said it before and will keep saying it the tyee qr is tops for me NO line creep and every 4 weeks have to oil the cork... not to much hasslle takes me all of 2 mins to do for all the up and down on the riggers I personally do almost 100 dyas a year on them really cant complain for the PRICE and 6 years now with 2 of them ill keep on buying them for sure,
4000s to me are clunky but bullet proof make sure you put dacron on them as they used to blow up have had probablly 10 in my life do it thats what I like about alum reels lighter and stronger for the fishing we do off of sooke/vic deeper water say 200ft + what does it matter your cranking them up anyways....

My Tyee QR Reels are quite a pile of crap. From handles pulling out (they are threaded in 1/8" aluminium), to the drag springs compressing, to the one way rachet sticking, after Ihave rebuilt them into Islanders they are OK. I suppose a $250 reel with $50 worth of parts is OK, they are nice and smooth, but I have replaced bearings, handles (they pull out of the metal, put Islander handles on), fought with sticky drag pawls, and had them apart with fish on the line at swiftsure. The 2000 GT reels I had were bulletproof after a few fixes (Locktighting the housing to the reel seat). In the end, they are cheaper then an Islander, but MAN, do some retrofits. I had a spare on the boat.

Anyone that thinks I'm trolling is free to meet me at the boat anytime and I'll show you. But yes, when the drag works, it's creamy smooth like Wolfie says.

Yes but lets face it Kelly your a tad bit hard on gear!!!! LOL LOL
fishing down 250 ft and doing 3 knts not much is going to hold up!!!! unless your using a 6 inch peetz with 1000yds of mono at 100 lb test LOL LOL
for anyplace but the off shore banks you cant expect anything to really hold up out there the conditions are just tooooo harsh if you fished the beach all year id bet they would hold up fine , also if you have a seized handles from not keeping them lubed YEP they will fall off something has to break sooner or later.....

Guess it all depends how you maintain your gear isnt it??? some like to grease MR3 s after every trip me not so much
Wolf

I love Islanders, But at half the price, I have never had an issue with my QRs and no line creep. The only complaint is the free wheel knob can be hit without warning causing a instant backlash ratsnest with some news behind the rod!

I love Islanders, But at half the price, I have never had an issue with my QRs and no line creep. The only complaint is the free wheel knob can be hit without warning causing a instant backlash ratsnest with some news behind the rod!

You should try LastChance "Sh*tty Trophy Fix #13", stick a washer between the knob and the drag spring. Turns freewheel into "sort of" freewheel.

i have owned and fished with my mr3 islander reel for 2 years now,i do fish alot,.but i will never again spend that kind of money (i only paid $400.00) on an islander reel,,for the first 4 months or so it was a good reel but after that time i have not been very happy with it,,little springs on the inside busting off ,one of the reel knobs was not turning when reeling,,i took it off and fixed it myself,,i like my schimano that i only paid $160.00 for,,i will buy that one all day long,,

I bought a couple of MR3's this summer and put about 25 days on them......mostly deep water at Swiftsure and thought they were great. They did however have some line creep so I gave them a service as per Islander's website and it was much better but still crept a bit depending on wind....current etc. but not bad really? IMO As far as servicing them compared to any non-aluminum reels I think you know that going into purchasing one? For some a royal pain in the A$$...... but for others like myself it's all part of the fishing sickness...lol I treat it the same as tying fresh leaders for the next day or any of about a dozen or so things I tend to do before a big week of fishing.....just my two cents. I fished for over 10 years with M Ones with not a single problem......that being said......they certainly don't perform like the Islanders when a big fish is on. I'm sure that all the reels mentioned will do the trick but it will come down to time and cost for most.......good luck! On another note.....If I was picking a reel strictly on how it sounds than it would be a Hardy......hands down............Cheers!

I also use a Trophy , ive been using and abusing the same reel for 5 yrs now, and have NEVER had any issues what so ever with it .

I'm pretty easy on the gear and I clean and lube 4 times a year and my trophy qr's are doing fine. I fish them a fair bit too.

Used MR3's, and trophys, trophy's aren't all that great in my opinion, mr3's are way to go. I only get line creep rightt after I grease and oil everything, then after 5 or 6 up and downs on rigger it tightens up and is good, I troll fast (shallow though) and have the rods bore down BIG time nice and tight, and still no creep...usually have to back off drag after hooking fish a wee bit though.

I have 4000gts on my boat.
I have used a friends mr3. Nice reel, smooth bearings, but he had to have them replaced after 2 years at his cost.

$ for $ I would buy my 4000s again.. (not islanders)
Bullet proof!
I only go over them once a year and I normally fish about 40 to 50 days a year
I have had one spool blow up and shimano warrantied it at no cost to me!
They have been used and abused and I have no complaints....

I took 2 sets of reels to the 'Lodge' this past season. TFO & NC-1. I basically only used the TFOs. Only because I put the NC-1 on my own rods and then never let the chows touch them. The TFOs went on company rods and performed very well. Can't say they were ever the cause of a major problem. Once a guest backed the drag off too much and had a world class rats nest.
If kept properly oiled and lubed they work just as good as any. Line creep was non-existent (see DHA video on a solution) but, the drag could use a little more play. Bigger handles too but, that was not my problem as I rarely got to reel in.
When I did try the NC-1 I was happy with them HOWEVER... You must abide by the free wheel on the d/rigger. I popped a spring only going down to 30' once. Not a big deal to change but still. Looking forward to more usage with the NC-1 this winter.
Some of the guides were more happy with MR2 than MR3. The use of free wheel was a factor.
We sometimes just used salmon gear to pull up halis with 6-8oz wts and MR3 is no good for that.
I liked the drag play of the MR3 but even then it may have had too much of that.
I think most reels could be modified with bushings and spacers to accomodate just about any drag preference.
I did find it only took 1 trip (3-4 days 11 hours/day) to dry the cork out enough to compromise performance.
I did use graphite as well as ptfe oil.
That all said...
A good majority of the time I would use the company reels. Daiwa MR1(?) They were bullet proof IF you got a good 1. Same can be said of my Shimano 2000s. I have never even opened them in almost 10 years. I just back the drag off and rinse in fresh water EVERYTIME out.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a stunning turn of events I may go with getting a HDS5 instead of an aluminum reel....The LMS 525 from Lowrance is alright but I would figure that the upgrade to the HDS model will out weigh the benefits of a fancy reel.

You can tighten any reel down tight so you dont have line creep but at over 600 bucks you shouldnt have too, NEVER have an issue with the trophys on line creep owned a mr3 for a week wanted to throw it into the ocean cause I want to set it and leave so I can let the guest "sometimes" grap the rod if you have to undo the drag why not just get a 4000 and call it a day and crank em down. Ive tried them all even the islander anti reverse one OMG now thats even worse.
I said for the price you cant go wrong but hell if you want to buy 4 of them at over 600 bucks alsmot 3 grand with taxes have at it id rather spend less than half myself for a better quality in my opinion.

Wolf

I have 4000gts on my boat.
I have used a friends mr3. Nice reel, smooth bearings, but he had to have them replaced after 2 years at his cost.

$ for $ I would buy my 4000s again.. (not islanders)
Bullet proof!
I only go over them once a year and I normally fish about 40 to 50 days a year
I have had one spool blow up and shimano warrantied it at no cost to me!
They have been used and abused and I have no complaints....

You got it right Island girl ;)

personally I love my Islanders. Any reel will do the job as long as your maintain them. I see so many people who neglect their gear and assume its the products fault. I have seen every aluminum reel out there "creep" when there not taken care of. I have both MR2's and MR3's. Brand new fisherman and guests prefer the MR3's in my personal opinion. Better line pick up for the novice. I wasnt really impressed with the RST reel. The drag knob is located on the back like as fly reel and I didnt like how recessed the knob was. Plus the Price is way to high.

Back