Aluminum Boats

M

mthornton

Have been looking around at some aluminum boats lately and have a few brands in mind and was wondering if anyone had some insightful information they would be willing to share. I was looking mainly at harbourcraft, hewescraft and alumaweld. More or less I was trying to see which one rides nicest in the water. Has anyone been out in all three boats? If so what was your opinion? Any information would be greatly apprecaited! Thanks in advance

Tight lines

2 years ago I began looking at aluminum boats,,, my main criteria was to have a boat that would deliver a good, safe ride in both inshore and offshore waters, and not break the bank for operating costs, I looked at alot of boats, both BC built and US built. I rode in and test drove the 5 that I thought would best suit my needs and budget. I thought all 5 were really good boats, but opted to have an 08 Hewescraft 220 Searunner ht/ext transom built (when our dollar was $1.07 in our favor). From your list I test drove Alumaweld and Hewescraft. We basically boat year round and after over 140 hrs on my package I have been very pleased with the boats performance in the conditions that we operate. In the end, when the budget issues were satisfied, several aspects of the boat's design/performance helped make the final choice fairly easy... just a few of the important ones for me were... soft ride in chop, built in flotation system, heavy duty hardtop with full headroom, and a door to the bow and safe access around the gunnels to the bow, ability to safely handle offshore conditions that we choose to operate in....
Good luck in your search.
Cheers,
Larry

Went through this 2 years ago. Ended up with a 2525 Kingfisher. This was our first boat,and If doing over we would buy the same one.

The ride for the three boats you mentioned is similar. They are light compaired to the Kingfisher, and hence they bounce a bit more in chop. But how much do you want to spend?? and how big a boat. Offshore? Inshore? Hard top? Soft top???? Like Nahmint I had the extra high transom included for those days when I am backing up on a big butt that refuses to move.

The 20 ft Alumaweld Intruder is an excellent fishing platform. I have more room than many glass boats... but I will tell you that I regret not spending the extra $2000 for suspension seats when I had it built. But since I dont go offshore frequently, it really isnt a safety issue-- just a sore back when you hit 2-3ft chop with a short throw. Other than that I have no complaints and really like my Alumaweld

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

I looked around and being a welder I wanted to build one myself. After 5-6 yrs research, I ended by having Wolfboats build me a 30' coastal cruiser. Needles to say I am very pleased with the overall performance.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Appreciate the feedback! Thank you very much. I am looking for a boat in the 18-22 foot range want it to be fairly light so it can be easily pulled. I understand that all three of those boats will not ride that smoothly in rough water becuase of their weight and size, but I was more wondering if comparison amoung the three which would ride nicest if they were all the same size? I dont want a hardtop and the price isnt too much of an issue. Have been looking down south and have been seeing some pretty awesome deals on Hewescraft as well as alumaweld. Again thanks for the replies

Tight lines

I found that "weight and size" were not necessarily determining factors in a boat's ride in rough conditions. It actually was abit of a surprise for me too, as I initially was focussing on boat's built in BC, which were all heavier than the boat I ended up with.
I found that the 3 BC boats that I rode in would "pound" once they got on plane in the chop and we were unable to eliminate it by adjusting trim etc... I did feel safe in the boats, for sure, but the ride was actually disappointing. I think the hull design of the Searunner including the extended transom feature and variable deadrise resulted in a much softer ride on plane in similar wind wave and swell conditions. I was able to trim the boat and motor and stay on plane to maintain a pretty soft ride both into and while running with the waves. The boat doesn't pull to one side when surfing off swells and into the next ones... Actually, 2 of the other lighter US built boats also handled the waves pretty well. In the end, I chose the Searunner because of some of the other features/options that I could add on.... also, it was the only boat in that size range that had full flotation/testing at the factory.
I would highly recommend that you take a ride in the boats that you're interested in... was a pretty revealing exercise for me.

Anyway... a couple of additional thoughts that I had...

Cheers

The Jetcraft in the States is EXACTLY the same boat as the Harbercraft here and much, much cheaper.

quote: I am looking for a boat in the 18-22 foot range want it to be fairly light so it can be easily pulled

Ya-- that was an important consideration for me too. I have a 1996 5.7L chevy pickup, and carry a 9'6" Lance camper. I have no problem towing the boat while the camper in on the truck.

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

mrthorton, a custom boat may be a good way to go too, that's what I did and it couldn't have worked out better. We took the good features of about 4 boats and built them all into one 22 footer. The guy who welded it is now back from drilling holes in the earth, and could prob give you a good idea of what you are looking at if you wanted to build something custom. I'd do it again for sure.
-millsy

Just make sure it has at least a 14 degree deadrise and preferably a 18 degree bottom

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

HH whats the tag on a 22hewes like yours, if you don't mind
cheers
quote:Originally posted by happy hooker

Wow, that would be a steal

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

JUST FISHEN'

Stock was $40 with the upgrade to the 150, came with a 115. Probably easily another 15k in goodies, dont tell the wife though:D

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Back