Alouette May 13th

Damien

Hit Alouette yesterday. Was on the water by 8am, some sunny breaks, some wind and rain showers at a few intervals to make things interested. The day started off very slow. Tried a few different set ups most without much action for the first 2-3 hours.

Pulled lines from the Gold Creek area and headed across the lake to the fish farm area and started to work south from there and began to get steady action for the next two hours and limited on kokanee.

Coyote as a flasher to a wedding band with worm or fire brined shrimp was the ticket, as were mini-G. All on the surface with no weight.

Lead line set up got nothing, downrigging at 15, 25, 35, 45, 60, 70, 90 feet got nothing.

Water temps was 9.2 first thing, to 9.6 during mid-day.

I really need to update my electronics to help get this lake figured out.

Sorry, no on the water 'hero' shots of fish and scenery. It was a nice day overall with some sunny periods. Was windy for only about an hour right around noon.

These guys are primed for the Bradley today.

Attachments

• IMG_20170513_173218 (1).jpg
    IMG_20170513_173218 (1).jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
It's nice when glassy calm in the morning. So calm that the mountains, clouds and sky blend seamlessly into the lake.
]

Shot a quick vid not only how nice it can be out there, but also of the motor in action as I will be selling the 30hp Mariner/Yamaha 2 stroke short shaft. I plan to fish some of the Washington State bass lakes that are 4 stroke only, unfortunately. The boat has been in the family since the 60's and lived up in the Campbell River until a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
I love days like that on the lake. Calm waters and mystical clouds hanging low over the mountains.

I was up there this weekend and the fish finder was showing them sitting at 100' or deeper. We had one setup for the surface and a lead line down deep (no downriggers though!) but unfortunately got skunked.

Great video too! I think fall and spring will be my favourite boating seasons for Alouette...its a stunning lake, one of my faves down here in the LML.

Camped here over the weekend. I fished Alouette on Friday night and Sunday morning for about 2.5 hours each. Took my father in law one day and Dad the next.

Glad we got lots of action for the old guys. Bites non-stop but only one koke to the boat on the first night, lost a couple with poor netting skill, and also caught a large pikeminnow.

Limited on kokanee the second day, all on the surface with no weight. My go-to set up running a 5" coyote spoon as a flasher to a pink mini-G or wedding band produced almost non stop action. Used fire brined shrimp on the second day instead of worms and had more frequent bites.

We fished away from the crowd but a few boats started following me around after seeing my net out with regularity. Must have been 8-10 boats working the pilings so I never ventured over that way. I launched and went immediately left to the shallow water mark and was tagging fish in that first bay. Didn't go far and didn't even use the gas motor. Used the electric the whole time. There are no ski boats in that area due to the shallow marker, but just around that point there is 50' of water. Nice and quiet.

There were some bigger fish marking at 35-45 feet so I dropped the rigger with an apex but no takers.

I did hit a suspended branch on the apex and when the rod popped off the rigger I almost had a heart attack thinking I actually had a nice fish on. As I started reeling up and felt good weight, lol.

The typical boat launch gong-show was fun. Guys launching jet skis and leaving them on the launch side instead of walking them around while they went to go park. People setting up their boat at the launch instead of dunking and getting out of the way. Others using the launch for their kayaks and people who seemingly have never backed up a trailer before zig zagging their way down the ramp. Always fun. In the interest of full disclosure, I backed down and went to undo my nose safety chain and the shackle was seized, so I was scrambling and fumbling around for a minute to find a screwdriver or cotter pin to help me spin it loose.

Great weather, and it was pretty quiet at the campsite despite it being the long weekend.

I had my pink and ruby wedding bands tied up to a #67 willow leaf and Ford fender. My leaders must have been too short? It was my first time out fishing, first time out with my boat and first time out with all my gear so I'm hoping to learn quick lol

I use ~18" leaders and typically retie the wedding band myself with 4 or 6lb floro instead of that nasty stuff they come rigged with. I've noticed the kokanee were preferring a slow troll, so could be your speed. With the wind and no GPS, it is hard sometimes to tell how fast your going, have to watch the 'angle of the dangle'.

My friend was out earlier in the week, limited out and said he was trolling 1.2mph on the GPS.

Action on the small pink mini-G was with no flasher or gang troll etc. Lots of fun with no resistance.

Yeah, we were going too fast then. I had my lines in at 30 degrees off the water, and we were probably clipping along at 2-3mph with my motor just idling. Looks like a kicker motor is in my future!

Thanks Damien!

Any recent reports? I was thinking of taking a break from the salt and try for some kokanee this week with my kids.

Yep, fishing is hot. Been out a few times over the last few weeks.

Lots of kokanee around, along with the odd rainbow, cut and bull. Pike minnow are getting more active with the warmer weather though.

Get out there. Fish are getting deeper. First and last light you can find them up higher, mid day, think 30-50ft. Watch the sounder, work creek mouths and drop offs. But don't forget trying right in the middle.

Check your bait often if tipping your lure with worm or shrimp. Tons of very small fish around that will be stealing the bait.

Thanks for the update Damien. I'll try to give it a shot if the weather cooperates and will report back.

Cold and wet out there. But managed to limit on Kokanee and added in a nice cutty to the mix. Plus this Bully;

Attachments

• alouette bull.jpg
    alouette bull.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 110
There was virtually no traffic yesterday (Sunday, Father's Day). But the weather was horrid. Lots of action for kokanee close to the launch if you just stick to the west shoreline and go into the little bay around the shallow marker. They are tending to be a bit deeper now, 15-30ft was the ticket yesterday. So you will need to lead line, jet dive or downrig for them. A full sink fly line would work too. Tipping with bait is key.

Thanks for the report, Damien.
Any idea what rime they open the gate in the morning? Planning to go this weekend and hoping to fish early before the sporties and tubers take over the lake...

Back