Alexandra's trip to Norway.

Little Hawk

Howdy,

Thought I'd post this on Alex's behalf.
Please forgive all the stupid arrow-things...

Alexandra Morton wrote:
> *Message from Alexandra Morton in Norway, disease and sea lice are not under
> control in Norwegian salmon farms and BC stands to lose all
>
> *I have been in Norway for 10 days because 92% of fish farming in British
> Columbia is Norwegian owned. I have met with many Norwegian scientists, members
> of the Mainstream and Marine Harvest boards, been to their AGMs, toured the area
> with fishermen, examined a closed-containment facility, met the Norwegians
> fighting for their fish and joined a scientific cruise.
>
> I thought Norway had this industry handled and I expected to learn how marine
> salmon farming could work, but this has not been the case. My eyes have really
> been opened. This industry still has *major* issues that are growing and has no
> business expanding throughout the temperate coastlines of the world. The way
> they have been treating sea lice in Norway has caused high drug resistance. The
> only solution in sight is increasingly toxic chemicals. In the past two years
> (2007, 8) sea lice levels have actually increased on both the farm and wild
> fish. The scientists I met with are holding their breath to see if
> drug-resistant sea lice populations will explode and attack the last wild salmon
> and sea trout. The same treatment methods have been used in BC and we can
> expect this to occur as well.
>
> I am not hearing how the industry can possibly safeguard British Columbia from
> contamination with their ISA virus. Infectious Salmon Anemia is a salmon virus
> that is spreading worldwide, wherever there are salmon farms. In Chile, the
> Norwegian strain of ISA has destroyed 60% of the industry, 17,000 jobs and
> unmeasured environmental damage. The industry is pushing into new territory. If
> this gets to BC no one can predict what it will do to the Pacific salmon and
> steelhead, it will be unleashed into new habitat and we know this is a very
> serious threat to life.
>
> Professor Are Nylund head of the Fish Diseases Group at the University of
> Bergen, Norway, reports that, “based on 20 years of experience, I can guarantee
> that if British Columbia continues to import salmon eggs from the eastern
> Atlantic infectious salmon diseases, such as ISA, will arrive in Western Canada.
> Here in Hardangerfjord we have sacrificed our wild salmon stocks in exchange for
> farm salmon. With all your 5 species of wild salmon, BC is the last place you
> should have salmon farms.”
>
> New diseases and parasites are being identified. The most serious is a sea lice
> parasite that attacks the salmon immune system. There is concern that this new
> parasite is responsible for accelerating wild salmon declines. The Norwegian
> scientists agree with many of us in BC. If you want wild salmon you must reduce
> the number of farm salmon. There are three options.
>
> The future for salmon farming will have to include:
>
> * permanently reduction of not just the number of sea lice, but also the
> number of farm salmon per fjord,
> * removing farm salmon for periods of time to delouse the fjords and not
> restocking until after the out-migration of the wild salmon and sea trout.
> * But where wild salmon are considered essential they say the only certain
> measure is to *_remove_* the farms completely.
>
>
> There are many people here like me. I met a man who has devoted his life to the
> science of restoring the Voss River, where the largest Atlantic salmon in the
> world, a national treasure, have vanished due to sea lice from salmon farms.
> Interestingly he is using the method I was not allowed to use last spring...
> Towing the fish past the farms out to sea. Another man is working with
> scientists and communities to keep the sea trout of the Hardangerfjord alive.
> There are so many tragic stories familiar to British Columbia.
>
> The corporate fish farmers are unrelenting in their push to expand. With Chile
> so highly contaminated with the Norwegian strain of ISA all fish farmed coasts
> including Norway are threatened with expansion. I made the best case I could to
> Mainstream and Marine Harvest for removing the salmon feedlots from our wild
> salmon migration routes, but they will not accept that they are harming wild
> salmon. They say they want to improve, but they don’t say how. Norway has
> different social policies which include encouraging people to populate the
> remote areas and so fish farming seemed a good opportunity to these people. BC
> has the opposite policy, but the line that fish farms are good for small coastal
> communities has been used in BC anyway. I have not seen any evidence that it has
> even replaced the jobs it has impacted in wild fisheries and tourism.
>
> It is becoming increasingly clear to protect wild Pacific salmon from the virus
> ISA the BC border absolutely has to be closed to importation of salmon eggs
> immediately and salmon farms MUST be removed from the Fraser River migration
> routes and any other narrow waterways where wild salmon are considered valuable.
>
> Our letter asking government that the /Fisheries Act, /which is the law in
> Canada be applied to protect our salmon from fish farms has been signed by
> 14,000 people to date at www.adopt-a-fry.org <http://www.adopt-a-fry.org> has
> still not been answered.
>
> Please forward this letter and encourage more people to sign our letter to
> government as *it is building a community of concerned people word wide* and we
> will prevail as there is really no rock for this industry to hide under any longer.
>
>
> Alexandra Morton
>

Okay all you sheep let's bow to the queen for if she says it it must be true. What BS.

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Okay all you sheep let's bow to the queen for if she says it it must be true. What BS.

bow to your Norwegian master Bla Bla Bla

Picture002-1.jpg

SG
Have you got a link to that new study or are you referring to the one from U. of Guelph? That one showed a definite correlation between sea lice DNA on farmed and wild salmon but said more studies are required before it can be determined how far away from wild migration routes is safe to site fish farms. Lots more info on this at http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8847&whichpage=45.
If yours is a different study, please share.

SG,

Now you are starting to see the level to which Alexandra is willing to go to on order to forward her agenda. I only hope that the other well meaning but misguided folks here will also see Alex for what she is.

SG,
You didn't answer my question. Is the study you referred to above different from the U. Guelph study?

Sockeye;

Count me among one of your so-called 'well meaning... misguided' individuals on this forum.

And yes, I agree, I too, think it's important that folks are encouraged to see Alex for what she is: A CANDIDATE FOR THE ORDER OF CANADA for her relentless pursuit of exposing this disgusting filth you and the likes of Serengeti (if the shoe fits - wear it dude!) so readily defend.

Knowing something about bear-behavior, I agree that Alex could be well off the mark on this one but I can assure you, having corresponded with her for over a year now and after meeting her in person, her motives are pure as the driven snow: SHE SEEKS TO RID OUR COASTLINE OF THIS NORWEGIAN OWNED/CONTROLLED BLIGHT - THE NET-PEN BUSINESS - RESPONSIBLE FOR UNBELIEVABLE AMOUNTS OF POLLUTION, ALIEN SPECIES INTRODUCTION, AND DISEASE/PARASITE TRANSFER IN EVERY ARENA IT HAS OPERATED IN WORLDWIDE.

Both Alex and I agree that both DFO's and the Province's support of the net-pen business is criminal and must be arrested!
When policy-change dictates that the industry is forced to move to CLOSED CONTAINMENT, our Wild Pacific Salmon and Steelhead as well as all coastal marine ecosystems in the vicinity of existing farming tenures will stand a fighting chance of recovery.

If my place in the opposition to the carnage inflicted on BC by your industry makes me 'a sheep', then bring on the hay - scumbag! Cause I'd rather be 'a sheep' than 'a liar' and I'm in this for the long-haul and firmly believe the likes of you and the rest who wreak this havoc upon us will soon be cast in the darkest of shadows for all to see.

This is a 'Sportfishing-Forum', I am a sportfisherman, and I believe you, and all those other pathetic's who troll-here attempting to vindicate this terrible business responsible for killing millions of Wild Pacific Salmon, should be - rightfully so - labeled as 'TROLLS' and banned from this forum forevermore...

"BA-A-A-A... BA-A-A-A!"

What's next hawk? Book Burnings? Macarthy'ism? Ban what you don't agree with?

Morton is wrong on several key points in her letter, posting out and out lies and yet you continue to support her.

She is wrong about the bears, and she is wrong about egg imports into BC. No eggs are brought here from Norway, or the east coast. All farmed salmon come from captive broodstock lines which have been in existence since the early 90's.

Sea lice levels have actually decreased here since 2004, according to DR. Simon Jones. In fact they are now down to background levels, that is there is no more lice around farms then there is in areas without farms.

Ever wonder what else she is wrong about Little hawk? No probably not.

Trying to find the link I found before cuttle.

Also, LH, you are making yourself look foolish here. By the mere fact I point out that Alexandra doesn't know what she is talking about on one subject (bears relating to fish) you immediately point me out as a fish farm lover bla bla bla. Read my posts...if you did you'd realize just how dumb your last post was in regards to me. There are reasons some people don't take anti fish farm advocates seriously and your last post sums up exactly why they don't.

In order for there to be any success against fish farms, you have to have to deal with it on a mature level.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/canucksfanatic44

It's my understanding her beef relating to egg-imports is that it can not be allowed to happen, as a precautionary measure, since everywhere else your wonderful business has operated on this planet massive outbreaks of highly contagious viruses have ravaged local fish populations; let's look at the ISA tornado that's set the Chilean operation on its butt, for one.

Furthermore, your persistent contention that sea-lice are not an issue only underscores your penchant for lying to try to save this floundering (like that?) business. Given a choice, who do you think the average BC resident is going to believe; industry apologists, foreign profiteers, pocket-book bought and paid-for government scientists, or, hard-working, caring, dedicated and knowledgeable folks like Dr. Craig Orr, Dr. John Volpe, and yes - Alex Morton.

Alex's involvement in the opposition came about while studying Orca's in the Broughton. With the advent of the net-pen business came a decline in local salmon populations and the subsequent exodus of the whales. She and others, through scientific investigative methods and study, helped bring the causative factor to the worlds attention.

Forgive my suggestion that the likes of you should be banned from this forum; it was born of my frustration from reading the continuous stream of lies you post here. Besides, the inevitable tide of public-opinion will eventually see to the end of the net-pen business soon enough.

SG: Sorry for the jab. Again, frustration and amazement getting the best of me. Not the first time.
Knowing what I know about this business and the terrible toll it has exacted on every marine ecology it has bullied its way into around the world, I just can't - for the life of me - understand how anyone, anywhere, who gives a flyin'-fu#k about wild fish and wild places could find the time to say anything positive about this mess. Believe me, if the Norwegians' get their way, our entire coastline will be riddled with net-pens. If you don't believe me, have a look at Norway's own business: there remains somewhere in the scant order of 10 to 20% of their coastline free of net-pens.

This is NOT my vision of a BC I want to leave to my kids.

The ISA has "ravaged" only farmed fish. No where has it been found to "ravage" wild fish. There are many articles written regarding the POSSIBLE infection, but none stating an actual infection. There is a big difference.

Do you honestly think that farmers here in BC want to risk what is occuring in Chile?

So once again, the pro fish farm people are bought and paid for frauds, and the anti fish farmer people are angellic awaiting their sainthood. Give me a break. Didn't you read SG's last posts?

Morton found that she couldn't get any money from people for orcas, and found a cash cow in salmon farm protests, end of story. The rest of the group are riding the cash cow on Morton's coat tails, providing "supporting" evidence int he form of Math models and junk science. These are your "angels"?

The ISA has "ravaged" only farmed fish. No where has it been found to "ravage" wild fish. There are many articles written regarding the POSSIBLE infection, but none stating an actual infection. There is a big difference.

Do you honestly think that farmers here in BC want to risk what is occuring in Chile?

So once again, the pro fish farm people are bought and paid for frauds, and the anti fish farmer people are angellic awaiting their sainthood. Give me a break. Didn't you read SG's last posts?

Morton found that she couldn't get any money from people for orcas, and found a cash cow in salmon farm protests, end of story. The rest of the group are riding the cash cow on Morton's coat tails, providing "supporting" evidence int he form of Math models and junk science. These are your "angels"?

Actually, many of the new people involved have lots of their own money. They only stand to gain rebuilding stocks of wild salmon. I'm just an averge joe who's been out with reasearchers sampling migrating young salmon. I've seen the lice infestation with my own eyes. Strangly the lice loads go from nearly nothing up the inlets, in the Straight of Georgia until they reach the first farms & then suddenly they are thick. Hmmm, must be all those winter chinooks and migrating early fraser fish. I would suggest all us fishermen should start trolling for salmon in front of fishfarms as there's obviously a pile of wild salmon hanging out there to create the explosion of sealice. Nice try Sockeyefry or should we call you "lice infested sockeye smolt"? For you to say there is no lice problem is a straight out lie. While the researchers would agree that the use of slice has reduced lice levels, there is still a big problem. Also, to deney that there are paid PR people, I talked to someone first hand who was paid to attend one of the meetings in Sayward to represent the pro-farm side. Perhaps you could share some fishing reports or stories with us? Or do you even fish?

Actually, many of the new people involved have lots of their own money. They only stand to gain rebuilding stocks of wild salmon. I'm just an averge joe who's been out with reasearchers sampling migrating young salmon. I've seen the lice infestation with my own eyes. Strangly the lice loads go from nearly nothing up the inlets, in the Straight of Georgia until they reach the first farms & then suddenly they are thick. Hmmm, must be all those winter chinooks and migrating early fraser fish. I would suggest all us fishermen should start trolling for salmon in front of fishfarms as there's obviously a pile of wild salmon hanging out there to create the explosion of sealice. Nice try Sockeyefry or should we call you "lice infested sockeye smolt"? For you to say there is no lice problem is a straight out lie. While the researchers would agree that the use of slice has reduced lice levels, there is still a big problem. Also, to deney that there are paid PR people, I talked to someone first hand who was paid to attend one of the meetings in Sayward to represent the pro-farm side. Perhaps you could share some fishing reports or stories with us? Or do you even fish?

Whether I fish or not is of no consequence.

No one was paid to attend the meeting in Sayward.

The fact that the lice are as you say thick at the farms does not mean they came from the farms. Lice need time to develop. In other words, the lice that are visible on the fish near the farms came from a source closer to the fry origin than the farm. If you find fry with lice that are past farms, and the appropriate time interval for lice development has elapsed, then you could say that they came from the farm. If you found juvenile stage fo lice on fish near farms, then you might have a case. Of course you can't see these stages with the naked eye. So Cr which is it if you are such a lice expert, that you are able to Poo Poo the research findings of other more learned people? Those whose livelihoods aren't supported by convincing people to donate to their cause.

Keep sending in your money, Morton appreciates her suckers er new wealth source.

Back