Alberni This Weekend

T

therodman

Hi All,
My brother is coming to the Island this weekend and we're thinking of heading up to Alberni for a little fishing. Anything in the river yet or are they all still in the Inlet? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Rodman

With the flow running OVER 20 degrees (read: LETHAL) and end in sight to the scorched earth heatwave, the sox have been understandingly reluctant to enter the fresh. They're stacked like cordwood from Holm out, with Cous and Dunsmuir producing like machine guns. More than a few new brighties in, so take your time, have some fun, and you'll easily fill the limit with silver out there.

BTW: The Inlet from Holm Island up to AND INCLUDING PaperMill is now CLOSED.

Cheers,
Nog

With the flow running OVER 20 degrees (read: LETHAL) and end in sight to the scorched earth heatwave, the sox have been understandingly reluctant to enter the fresh. They're stacked like cordwood from Holm out, with Cous and Dunsmuir producing like machine guns. More than a few new brighties in, so take your time, have some fun, and you'll easily fill the limit with silver out there.

BTW: The Inlet from Holm Island up to AND INCLUDING PaperMill is now CLOSED.

Cheers,
Nog

ya the sockeye is still going strong out there...those fish jump like trout all day but especially first thing...lots of fun on the bucktail rods off the downrigger...try various colour coyoties(watermelon or black orange-if you can get one!)

ya the sockeye is still going strong out there...those fish jump like trout all day but especially first thing...lots of fun on the bucktail rods off the downrigger...try various colour coyoties(watermelon or black orange-if you can get one!)

There's a rather strong likelyhood that sox will go NON-retention as of this coming Friday in the Inlet. Low escapement numbers are still a very real and pressing concern, and if we sporties give it up, the FN's have noted they will further reduce the pressure. This run NEEDS some relief, or we simply won't have anything to fish in four years. AND while our sector is not an overly large threat, anything we might be able to do to lessen the REAL threat is likely warrented.

Springs are starting to stick their noses in, with more than a few already caught at Pill, Ten Mile, Arden and even Lone Tree. Time to leave the sox to their thing, and play with the Big Boyz!

Just a Head's Up.
Nog

There's a rather strong likelyhood that sox will go NON-retention as of this coming Friday in the Inlet. Low escapement numbers are still a very real and pressing concern, and if we sporties give it up, the FN's have noted they will further reduce the pressure. This run NEEDS some relief, or we simply won't have anything to fish in four years. AND while our sector is not an overly large threat, anything we might be able to do to lessen the REAL threat is likely warrented.

Springs are starting to stick their noses in, with more than a few already caught at Pill, Ten Mile, Arden and even Lone Tree. Time to leave the sox to their thing, and play with the Big Boyz!

Just a Head's Up.
Nog

Thanks for all of the input guys. Unfortunatley we couldn't make it up to Alberni on the weekend. Looks like I'll have to wait until September to get some fishing in on the Stamp.
Thanks again.
Rodman

Thanks for all of the input guys. Unfortunatley we couldn't make it up to Alberni on the weekend. Looks like I'll have to wait until September to get some fishing in on the Stamp.
Thanks again.
Rodman

Thanks for the input there Nog..I already switched today to spring gear and caught two small ones but did see a 29 and 19 come in today...Is it me or are these getting thicker in the girth? Not overly long but huge in the belly....I was quite impressed with what the Hardy Boys brought in today and friday!!
We did manage to get ahold on one Sock...starting to mottle and let her go with not even a thanks..lol
Back at it tomorrow

boc

Thanks for the input there Nog..I already switched today to spring gear and caught two small ones but did see a 29 and 19 come in today...Is it me or are these getting thicker in the girth? Not overly long but huge in the belly....I was quite impressed with what the Hardy Boys brought in today and friday!!
We did manage to get ahold on one Sock...starting to mottle and let her go with not even a thanks..lol
Back at it tomorrow

boc

blueorca you already got 2 at alberni? wow sure is early! Where'd you hear of the bigger fish being caught? And yes i noticed the sox are getting coloured so we decided to quit playing around with them and wait for the springs to come(i guess we wont be waiting that long though!)

blueorca you already got 2 at alberni? wow sure is early! Where'd you hear of the bigger fish being caught? And yes i noticed the sox are getting coloured so we decided to quit playing around with them and wait for the springs to come(i guess we wont be waiting that long though!)

LESSON TO BE LEARNED
The time has past, forget the sockeye and gear up for springs or coho, besides they give a better fight. Then in 4 years we can all have fun again and not have a year of well wondering where they are. It's so refreshing to see posts of die hard fishhermen protectinng tommorows fishery. You once again earn my respect!!! Everyday I learn even with 20 years under my belt "But I only get out 2 or 3 times a month" because I LISTEN... I must say I have learned the most from those that put a huge amount time and effort into fishing thats why I have learned to respect them and quite often they become close friends...

Lesson to be learned...... Thanks again CHEERS Happy Hookin M.E.

[/quote]

LESSON TO BE LEARNED
The time has past, forget the sockeye and gear up for springs or coho, besides they give a better fight. Then in 4 years we can all have fun again and not have a year of well wondering where they are. It's so refreshing to see posts of die hard fishhermen protectinng tommorows fishery. You once again earn my respect!!! Everyday I learn even with 20 years under my belt "But I only get out 2 or 3 times a month" because I LISTEN... I must say I have learned the most from those that put a huge amount time and effort into fishing thats why I have learned to respect them and quite often they become close friends...

Lesson to be learned...... Thanks again CHEERS Happy Hookin M.E.

[/quote]

Eagle Eyes....ten mile point ... 55 feet down....60 inch leader behind a flasher(sorry don't know colour) and using a 4 inch nasty boy spoon....I'm out tomorrow with nasty boys and mb 15's but will experiment a bit too....Got given one of those wierd flashers with an E-CHIP imbeded in it to try out??? At least it's green!
And also I'm dipping into the anchovie stock I've been hording....
I'm taking a mother and her 11 year old son (he's been unable to sleep for the last two days...mom says he's just vibrating)....should be a gas.

boc

Eagle Eyes....ten mile point ... 55 feet down....60 inch leader behind a flasher(sorry don't know colour) and using a 4 inch nasty boy spoon....I'm out tomorrow with nasty boys and mb 15's but will experiment a bit too....Got given one of those wierd flashers with an E-CHIP imbeded in it to try out??? At least it's green!
And also I'm dipping into the anchovie stock I've been hording....
I'm taking a mother and her 11 year old son (he's been unable to sleep for the last two days...mom says he's just vibrating)....should be a gas.

boc

28 pound spring 10 mile point, jerking a white dart, tight to the kelp beds late last july.

Thats Mr. Bags to you

28 pound spring 10 mile point, jerking a white dart, tight to the kelp beds late last july.

Thats Mr. Bags to you

okay thanx orca! funny you mentioned the E chip... after our annual sockeye camping trip one of the guys we had taken was so thankful for taking us among other things he bough us some gear. he got us an E chip flasher too! i went and bought the bait holder to go with it(glow green to match the flasher) and will be trying it at sooke this weekend. guys at gone fishin in nanamio say it gets them about 30% more strikes and those guys tell it straight up. anyway im curious to see if it works? and if i were you i'd throw out a 602 at 15 feet first thing...worked for me quite often!

Back