Alberni Inlet springs

Olde School

Hey everyone.

Anything happening closer to town yet?

Thanks.

Smiley.

I saw one spring on the cleaning table caught at Lone Tree this morning & another reported from Coulson's....both caught on plugs.

Heard from a few reports that fish are being caught, not hot or heavy but enough that I may venture out for evening fish.

I was out yesterday and it was still slow. Heard a few were caught at first light, and then we saw a few more caught after that. Only had to deal with one mackerel. Had two hits on a 6" tomic 602, but that was it.

In the last three days out fishig has beeen very steady, my best fish have been into the twentys. Ive been fishing between three and for hours with the pack of boats around arden campsite 40-50 feet deep

:ance

I went out today around China Creek and we did see a couple fish caught right at first light, then it went quiet. We had one on and lost it (white hootchie @ 50ft) at 10am, but that was it. Saw about 5 fish caught from 5-11:30am. Heard guys talking on the radio that it was slower than yesterday. Certainly a gorgeous morning.

Agree with pw port, we found our fish later in the morning on the way home...oh well today is a work day. 42 feet is a killer depth. Saw some seiners and such moving in through the last few days any news?

Lance

Every day there seems to be fish throughout the inlet. Hearing from those with a bit more experienced/ skilled/ lucky than me....yesterday more fish were around Bells Bay (near the boundary line of Nahmint), while today, a friend met some guys getting their limits at Coulson's. As for me, today, I caught one nice spring - 60' at Sproat Narrows, and realized when I played it to the boat that I snagged it by the tail?! So as I tried to figure out whether to let it go or not, the fish teetered on the edge of the net and floated away (the "net guy" was my 7 year old son).
There's more big fish to be caught! (white hootchie sounds like the ticket)

There's no problem keeping a foul hooked fish in the salt next time pwp. If you choose to.

Really, I can keep that fish? I didn't realize there was a difference about where I caught the fish (ie. river or saltwater)?

The freshwater regs state you must release any fish not hooked in the mouth. I don't think there is anything like this mentioned in the tidal regs.

How long of leader did you have for your white hootchie PWPORT and what colour of flasher ?
The length of the leader was about 42" with a green flasher....does that matter on how well I can catch the tail of springs :).
Another friend that caught 2 on Friday said that he too was using a white hootchie (& he caught them by the usual way).

China Creek showing fish

I love Alberni. It's the only place where no one talks on the radio. All of the conversations between boats are by cell phone. Like someone is going to catch your fish......silly. On to the report.....made camp at China Creek Friday night. On the water by 6am Sat and fished the wall opposite China Creek near Arden Creek. Nada. Lots of boats. Continued to the Narrows and then onto Bells Bay area. Bite turned on at 9:30 and stayed steady until noon. We had 5 on, landed two. 19# and 24# plus. Fish were bright, fresh and fought hard. All of the boats around us did well. My friends had 6 on and landed 3. All in high teens, low 20s. Chovies for me, hootchies for them. Saturday evening was a bust. No bite materialized. Sunday was spotty. We saw fish being caught and reports ( phone calls ) from friends with luck (and fish) made us stick and stay. Picked up a 22 in the middle of the inlet just east of the Narrows. Purple Haze hootchie at 65 feet. Should be good as we head towards the derby. Lots of decent fish at the China Creek cleaning station. My friends brought in a 29# today. Saw a 31 at the cleaning table and had a buddy that brought home a 31 today. Some good fish. All in all, an awesome 40 hours of camping / fishing.

Found the fish!

After starting at Coulson's with the usual white hootchies (60 & 40 feet), we trolled all the way to Mactoosh with not a nibble (and only saw 2 fish caught on the way), but then our luck changed as my son starting steering wildly and every turn, we hit the springs (white hootchie that turns oily color in the water) - lost 2 and then my friend tried, and he landed this nice 26lber (35 feet deep, on the same lure)! We lost one more and then called it a day. Oddly enough the bite for us didn't come until 10:30 and then went until about 11:15. Sure fun out there! The big fish are biting! There were some other nice fish coming into the dock (a friend with 2 springs on red hootchies in front of Dunsmuir).
P1030780.jpg

Back