Albacore Tuna, Spring Salmon Sushi Night

Very well done. You should be proud. What are your hours?;) eman
Thanks. Not sure what "what are your hours" means? But if you mean me posting it at 3AM it's cause I couldn't sleep and was up surfing the net lol. Made the meal the evening before. It really is a rewarding feeling making it myself. Watching my daughters enjoying it too feels great. So pricey when buying it from restaurants too yet so cheap to make it at home.

how do u prepare your rice and what kind do you use?
When I was buying the sushi sticky rice in Canadian Superstore yesterday I went down the rice cooker isle for curiosity to see the prices on them cause I usually make rice just in a stainless pot and it doesn't always turn out perfect for sushi. Was pleasantly surprised to see a small one for a cheap price of $15. The bigger ones were anywhere from $60 to over $100. It said on the box it could do 6 cups of finished rice but I doubted that cause of how small it is but thought I would give it a try. It did an awesome job. Perfect sushi rice in about 20 minutes. I bought the Presidents Choice brand short grained sushi rice in the smaller bag size for $6.50 I made a cup dry which turned into about 2 cups cooked. I think it could do about double that which is a lot of rice for making sushi with or for side meals. Really great little rice cooker.
I also added 1.5 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar, 3/4 tablespoon of sugar, and a teaspoon of sea salt after the rice came out of the cooker. It's important to shake the vinegar over the rice in small amounts evenly then after 5 minutes or so carefully turn the rice over so the vinegar penetrates the rice all over. The more you mess with the cooked sushi rice the bigger risk of squashing the grains. Also between making sushi items I keep the rice covered with saran wrap to keep it moist. If air get's to it for too long it dries out quickly and can get a dry crust on it.

20180308_121200.jpg

CD, check out Kokuho Rose short grain rice for sushi. Rice is cheap, and not something to cheap out on in my opinion. I've done cooking courses in Japan and Thailand and all they talk about is getting good quality rice.

I'll take a table for two, tomorrow night at 8:00. I'll bring the sake.

CD, check out Kokuho Rose short grain rice for sushi. Rice is cheap, and not something to cheap out on in my opinion. I've done cooking courses in Japan and Thailand and all they talk about is getting good quality rice.

I'll take a table for two, tomorrow night at 8:00. I'll bring the sake.
Hey Corey ya Kokuho is the brand I usually get. At Superstore they only had a large sack of it so I opted for the smaller back of the PC sushi rice to try. PC usually has pretty good quality stuff I have found. And it was excellent quality sushi rice. But if I can find smaller sacks of the Kokuho I'd still go that route. I have found 1 kg sacks of Kokuho before for around the same price I got this PC for which was only 750 grams so Kokuho is even cheaper actually.
Wow man you've spent time cooking in Japan and Thailand that's awesome! I'd love to travel to both those places. Have been to China and would love to spend more time in Asia. Love some of the flavorful dishes they are known for especially in Japan and Thailand. I make Thai food at home too when I can. Love it.

I should have also added in my reply to Wildmanyeah that it's also important to rinse the rice prior to cooking it with cold water for awhile until the water runs almost clear to help get a lot of the starch off of it.

Looks amazing.

Is the fish flash frozen or just pulled right from a conventional freezer?

I want to try this but typically just process the fish myself and vac seal in then put in my deep freeze.

Not sure the risks of eating it raw if it is done that way...especially if I’m feeding my wife and kids.

Looks amazing.

I want to try this but typically just process the fish myself and vac seal in then put in my deep freeze.

Not sure the risks of eating it raw if it is done that way...especially if I’m feeding my wife and kids.

I have a deep freeze but it's a commercial grade one from a restaurant supply place I bought years ago. Very big too with a big compressor on it. We got rid of our other deep freezers (had three smaller ones before) after buying the one we got cause it freezes so fast and so solid. But it's not a blast freezer. Freezing the fish will kill parasites but they say it may not kill all microorganisms. Saying that though I have been eating frozen raw salmon for 20 years or so and have not (knock on wood) gotten sick from any I have rod caught myself and know how it has been cared for.

Also we used to have a Food Saver vac packer but now we have a chamber sealer vac packer. A world of difference between the two and with a Food Saver no matter how well you think the fish is sealed and you think you've gotten all the air out away from the meat, it really hasn't. But a chamber machine will get 100% of the air out of the package which results in a better frozen product that will stay good for longer. And a chamber machine will also allow you to freeze liquids. I use mine a lot for vac packing stews, soups, and marinading meats etc too. Yes they are much more money but the savings in bags is huge and they are selling for much less $ than they used to online nowadays.

Last edited:
Looks amazing.

I've been making my own sushi for a few years now and no issues.
Honestly if you take time and care with your catch it will probably be the same if not better quality than what you can buy.
I've gone down to Westport for a few tuna trips and will prepare a number of loins specifically for sushi. I'll bloodline my own fish once at home, a light trim (goes to tacos for dinner) then quick rinse followed by thorough drying in paper towel before vac packing. Same for salmon minus the bloodline obviously and I like to remove skin before freezing. Freeze for 7 days (I've done 3 with no issues). I've even done rainbow within 10 days after ice off but that's rolling the dice....still tasty though

Back