Alaska bans king salmon fishing on prime rivers - Including the Kenai River

trendsetter

Alaskans again this summer are wondering: where are the king salmon?

Some of Alaska's largest and best rivers are closed to king fishing because state and federal fisheries managers have determined that the largest of the salmon species, also called Chinook, aren't showing up in enough numbers to ensure sustainable future runs.

In western Alaska, people living in dozens of villages along the Yukon and Kuskokwim rivers are turning to less desirable salmon species — fish with lower oil and fat content — to fill their freezers for winter in what one official described as a summer of "food insecurity."

"It is pretty scary," said Timothy Andrew, director of natural resources with the Association of Village Council Presidents in Bethel. "Chinook salmon is probably the biggest species that people depend on for drying, salting and putting away in the freezer to feed the family throughout the winter."

2011 king salmon run worst in 30 years

Fishery managers predict that this year's Yukon River king salmon run will be worse than last year, and that was the worst showing for Chinook in 30 years.

Commercial fishermen on the Yukon and Kuskokwim are turning to less desirable but more plentiful species of salmon that sell for under $1 US a pound. King salmon sells for more than $5 a pound. With gas costing $6.70 a gallon (around $1.78 Cdn a litre) in Bethel, many fishing boats are sitting idle, he said.

People living in the region's 56 villages are devastated, Andrew said.

"It is an incredibly stressful time," he said.

In mid-July, the Kenai River — considered by many to be Alaska's premier river for salmon fishing — is normally crowded and chaotic with fishing guides steering their boats to give their clients the best opportunity to catch a trophy king.

But a ban on king fishing on the Kenai and Kasilof rivers went into effect Thursday.

Robert Begich, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game's area management biologist, said the Kenai king run looks to be the lowest on record going back to the 1980s.

While the cause of the continued downward trend in kings isn't clear, Begich suspects a combination of factors, with researchers looking more closely at changes in the ocean environment. King salmon usually spend several years in the ocean before returning to rivers to spawn.

Changing ocean currents could be to blame

Ray Beamesderfer, a consultant with Cramer Fish Sciences in Gresham, Ore., also suspects changes in the marine environment. He thought he and his family would be fishing for king salmon on the Kenai River on Thursday. Instead, they were casting for rainbow trout or smaller sockeye salmon.

Beamesderfer said in the late 1970s, there was a change in ocean currents that favored Alaska salmon but contributed to poor salmon runs in the Pacific Northwest.

That situation appears to be reversing, with a change in ocean currents, he said.

"We have seen some better runs in recent years," Beamesderfer said.

But he said the persistent downturn in king salmon can't be fully explained by a change in ocean currents, especially when other salmon species in Alaska are thriving.

"It doesn't seem to be that simple," Beamesderfer said.

Jeff Regnert, director of the commercial fisheries division for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, also said something different in the marine environment likely holds the answer to the downturn in kings.

"That is probably where we will see the change," he said.

http://news.ca.msn.com/local/britishcolumbia/alaska-bans-king-salmon-fishing-on-prime-rivers

...While the cause of the continued downward trend in kings isn't clear, Begich suspects a combination of factors, with researchers looking more closely at changes in the ocean environment...

Ray Beamesderfer, a consultant with Cramer Fish Sciences in Gresham, Ore., also suspects changes in the marine environment...

But he said the persistent downturn in king salmon can't be fully explained by a change in ocean currents, especially when other salmon species in Alaska are thriving...

Jeff Regnert, director of the commercial fisheries division for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, also said something different in the marine environment likely holds the answer to the downturn in kings...

Years of near out-of-control "bycatch" in their trawl fleets...

Years of flooding the ocean with millions of "ranched" clones...

Jeez... I wonder if that could be translated to "something different in the marine environment"
rolleyes.gif

Nog

That's gotta hurt their tourism industry pretty hard. Hopefully they identify that cause and work to correct it whether it be pollution, overfishing, predation or something else.

I knnow you are joking Shawn ( i think),

But holy **** if i hear someone in the media blame Ocean conditions for lack of fish one more facking time i will lose my mind

I knnow you are joking Shawn ( i think),

But holy **** if i hear someone in the media blame Ocean conditions for lack of fish one more facking time i will lose my mind

Precisely! The salmon have been "surviving in the ocean" for thousands of years and now they can't?! With the possible exception of global warming causing massive changes to the ocean, there is no natural ocean based biological reason why they can't survive now.

"Ocean survival" is gobblydegook double speak for "we don't know and we won't or can't address the real reasons for the decline for economic/political reasons so we will hope for the best next year".

when AK extended their territorial fishing way out, they eliminated the foreign fishing fleets. at the same time they opened the door to AK based trawlers. this fleet expanded to where it is today. as you already know, they shovelled overboard about 1/2 of your rec angling quota for halibut last year. they also shovel overboard chinook in equally astonishing numbers. if it were 'ocean conditions' it would be impacting all 5 species of salmon, it isn't. if it were habitat degredation then you would at least expect chinook in good numbers into the yukon R. pretty pristine from end to end, and no returning chinook.

the 'cause' is pretty clear, overharvest as by-catch by the billion dollar dragger industry. since all F&W departments are political animals, don't expect AK to solve this anymore than DFO.

Well...there's krill... and then there's Herring and other baitfish.

It could be a good year for Krill ocean conditions....in which case a species like Sockeye would thrive...as they did in the bumper year a couple of years back.
But it could also be a bad year for baitfish conditions...baitfish eating microscopic lankton/larvae types...

Microscopic zooplankton/larvae is controlled to a large factor by ocean conditions/temp/upwellings/storms/sea-ice.

The trawler issue duly noted, ocean conditions do play a part as to whether it will be a so-so year or a bumper year.

X2 on the “trawl fleets and their “by-catch”!
That certainly plays a large part in the “Alaska” Chinook problems. I believe Alaskans have that figured; however, that is a very “political” thing being argued over and addressed, as we speak.

Those “ranched” clones, which are mostly “sockeye” and “chum” migrate and spend most of their life in the open ocean waters of the Bering Sea. The Alaskan Chinook discussed migrate farther north into the Bering Sea, but stay within the Continental Shelf. They (or any Chinook) will NOT enter the open ocean waters like Sockeye, Chum and Pinks. Meaning Chinook really don’t compete for food from the other salmon species, while on their feeding grounds; however, it is well established during a Pink out migrating year it can and does effect the survival rate of out migrating Chinook. That really only equates to the out migrating, and has more to do with having that normal or “bumper” return mentioned.

I should note (and do agree) there is valid concerns concerning Sockeye and Chum over-population in the “open ocean waters” of the Bering Sea. This is due to the vast numbers of “non-native” Sockeye and Chum now being released from Japan and Russia “non-native” salmon systems, including their hatcheries. These fish are being introduced, established, and produced from systems that have NEVER before produced Sockeye and Chum salmon into the Bering Sea. Not saying it is a problem, just saying there are valid concerns that needs to be addressed, especially knowing Alaska is maintain their “ranching” programs, and both Russia and Japan are increasing their production.

“Ocean conditions” certainly does play a large role in Chinook survival rates. Anyone not believing that needs to do some reading on ‘The Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO).’ It has everything to do with those “upwellings” producing food sources. What is good ocean conditions for us, is actually bad ocean conditions for Alaska Chinook, due to where they migrate and their feeding grounds:
http://jisao.washington.edu/pdo/

Since “Atlantic” salmon have been found and recovered migrating up the Kenai River, (Yep, I repeat - Atlantic salmon have been caught migrating up the Kenai River) I would highly suggest Alaska start testing those fish and their Chinook for those exotic diseases being introduced by those Norwegian open net fish farms. One just might just be surprised what they find concerning those diseases.

Just my 2 cents!

Sad to hear that Atlantics are in the Kenai River! The State has been very good in looking after that river. Caught my biggest chinook there,(52#) in the mid 80's. In that time frame, if you netted a chinook in the river, you had to keep it, and you were done fishing in that river for the day, for any fish. No cheating with that rule, and a good one at that. just my 2cents. ...........BB

Sad to hear that Atlantics are in the Kenai River! The State has been very good in looking after that river. Caught my biggest chinook there,(52#) in the mid 80's. In that time frame, if you netted a chinook in the river, you had to keep it, and you were done fishing in that river for the day, for any fish. No cheating with that rule, and a good one at that. just my 2cents. ...........BB

It was a very sensible rule. I caught a 51 lb Chinook in the Kenai in 1989, and that wasn't even considered a large one back then! After catching that fish, it only made sense that I was done for the day.

Back