Advice on first boat

Any one have or know much about the King Fisher aluminum boats? I have only seen them for sale in Canada

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-m...25/1287227748?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
Hi there, I had the 2125 version of this vessel ~ 5 years ago and loved it. It was great to trailer and fish locally with 2-3 adults. However, the HC is a lighter version of the offshore Kingfishers so be aware of that. Took it off Ukee several times in fair weather and had no issues. Went back to this brand with my latest attempt at the'perfect' boat (2425 HC) and it is proving to be just as functional. PM me if you want more info.

Any one have or know much about the King Fisher aluminum boats? I have only seen them for sale in Canada

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-m...25/1287227748?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Harbercraft/Kingfisher in Canada, same brand and boats. Used to be the Kingfisher moniker was reserved for just the big boats, now it's on all of em right down to 16'. They're called Jetcraft in the States. In the HC world I'd look at the 19' minimum, 18 footers have a much flatter dead rise.

They're good boats, same one on their website;

http://www.kingfisherboats.com/ModelDetails.aspx?prod=3

Hey guys, what do you think of this one? I know it has a scrape but I know I will end up doing something like it the first year. Only concern I have is it being under powered.?.

Your thoughts

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/d/2006-hawes-20-ft-aluminum-boat/6256150128.html

Looks like a solid rig but as you said, way under power and there's no pod. Fits into your budget but I'd probably look for aomething in the same category with bigger engine and a pod. Spend a few thousand bucks more and buy something that serves you and your family a few seasons.

Looks like a solid rig but as you said, way under power and there's no pod. Fits into your budget but I'd probably look for aomething in the same category with bigger engine and a pod. Spend a few thousand bucks more and buy something that serves you and your family a few seasons.
Ad doesnt mention what model it is, but it looks pretty shallow to me. Probably a Sportsman. That's a better lake boat than an ocean boat, buts wit would do. It is underpowered too.

Hey guys, what do you think of this one? I know it has a scrape but I know I will end up doing something like it the first year. Only concern I have is it being under powered.?.

Your thoughts

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/d/2006-hawes-20-ft-aluminum-boat/6256150128.html

I have a 19' welded aluminum all loaded up with a 90 Honda and it has no problems doing anything I want. 4 adults and 2 kids on a tube no problem, 4 adults, traps and a days worth of fishing gear no problem. Cruises at 25 easy with a small prop I keep on for summer tubing. Just went to Hotham Sound a couple weeks ago which is a 68 mile run, 25mph average on 60l of fuel with a full load of camping gear and 2 people. The shallower dearies doesn't need the HP. The ad says Sportsman but like the others have pointed out it's still not a full transom.

Looks welded from the pics on the link I Love Haida Gwaii gave. Maybe looks enameled, though...
I agree that it looks good and have no experience with this hull. I Love Haida Gwaii should get first-hand input from a Starcraft owner :). This is from the manufacturer's website:
  1. RIVETED for superior strength, allowing the flexing needed for a smooth, dry ride.

Ouch.... I never would have thought they would use riviets in such a big boat??

Well I have looked at what feels like a thousand boats. I have been looking at the sites given and there is a ton of boats out there. So much to learn and appreciate all the input..

I

Ouch.... I never would have thought they would use riviets in such a big boat??

Well I have looked at what feels like a thousand boats. I have been looking at the sites given and there is a ton of boats out there. So much to learn and appreciate all the input..

I
Patience is the name of the game. I realize I am probably in the extreme here, but I wrote a list of must haves and a list of nice to haves. On my must have list was my budget too. I looked at those sites and several search sites nearly every day for 3 years. All that time my boat budget was growing. Most of that time was just kicking tires, reading, researching, learning the market. By the last year I was getting pretty serious and finally pulled the trigger when I could check off everything on my must have list and most of my nice to have list. Buying a boat is simple. Buying the right boat takes time.

Don't forget to drive lots of boats too. I suggest you pack up the family and spend a weekend in Portland Oregon where there are.ots of new and used boats in the configuration you are looking at. Drive 8 or 10 boats so you get a feel for what you like and don't like. Power is of particular interest. What might seem underpowered for a seasoned boater could be just right for you. It all depends on the hull and what you want to do with it.

Thanks Franko, that's the best advice & seems to be the path I am going down. I am grateful for the feed back I have received, as it saved me from making a poor choice & regretting it later down the road. As you said my budget is also evolving as I understand my needs more. I know have a way better understanding of what I am looking for & will continue to save up $$ & watch out for deals.

I am hoping that winter time may bring better deals & by then I will have more $ saved & will be able to avoid the bank.

The only struggle I have right now is the off shore bracket. I want one, but there is no way it will fit in my garage. I could probably make it work but that would mean me extending the rear wall in my garage out further, which would be a huge expense. Or, pay the $100/month storage which bites. Worst case I could put it in at an angle but that would mean my triple garage would be taken up by the boat. (Which I may do)

Anyways, I will keep my eye open & wait until I find the boat @ the price.

Thanks

trophy 2002

Had one for 13 years now. Have loved it. I use it for all the things you are talking about.

Best bang for the buck IMO.

Howard

Thanks Franko, that's the best advice & seems to be the path I am going down. I am grateful for the feed back I have received, as it saved me from making a poor choice & regretting it later down the road. As you said my budget is also evolving as I understand my needs more. I know have a way better understanding of what I am looking for & will continue to save up $$ & watch out for deals.

I am hoping that winter time may bring better deals & by then I will have more $ saved & will be able to avoid the bank.

The only struggle I have right now is the off shore bracket. I want one, but there is no way it will fit in my garage. I could probably make it work but that would mean me extending the rear wall in my garage out further, which would be a huge expense. Or, pay the $100/month storage which bites. Worst case I could put it in at an angle but that would mean my triple garage would be taken up by the boat. (Which I may do)

Anyways, I will keep my eye open & wait until I find the boat @ the price.

Thanks

Swing away tongue make up the difference? Can be bought as a kit and added to any trailer.

8476459_in3.jpg

I have only used sway bars for the larger, heavier boat/trailer combos - and on high speeds on a highway. Not sure how critical it would be for smaller boat/trailer combos. maybe someone on here has more experience with that??

Back