"Add A Battery" Will it void my Warranty?

Mudslide

If I install a bluesea "add a battery" switch and automatic charging relay with a starting battery and a deep cycle house battery will it void my new Mercury Warranty? I'm getting conflicting messages. What's been your experience with these switches??

I have zero idea why it would hurt your motor. They are the best thing you can add to a boat in the electrical department IMHO.

All those switches do is to isolate your working battery from the battery you use to start your boat and to make sure the battery needing a charge is charged most of the way before charging both. No different from A B +AB really. It does it differently and does it better and means your starting battery will always have a good charge. IMO one battery gets a good workout so when it comes time to replace remove that battery, move your engine one over and put the new one in it's place.

If I install a bluesea "add a battery" switch and automatic charging relay with a starting battery and a deep cycle house battery will it void my new Mercury Warranty? I'm getting conflicting messages. What's been your experience with these switches??

There is a lot more to all engines today than there used to be. One of the biggies happens to be all that neat electrical stuff (e.g. those microprocessors and computers). You need to read the actual warranty documentation that came with the engine along with the Bluesea warranty to see what both do and do not cover! The reason you need to read the actual warranty is manufacturers change their warranties from time to time, to include what might VOID. Something might VOID today, might not last year. If nothing specifically says it will void the warranty, it still “may” limit or affect the warranty. If the part added or modified was found to be the cause of the damage/failure it will possibly VOID part or all the warranty. If you install a battery (or anything else) Mercury “specifically” states will void the warranty – they will not pay. All those “can,” “could”, “may” are exactly that if the part or modification was the reason for the damage/failure Mercury may decline warranty coverage. Even if the warranty coverage is declined, it doesn’t mean they won’t still pay part and/or all, under what is called “goodwill” program and policy!

Mercury warranty covers “Mercury” and authorized parts – only. Adding a battery stay within Mercury’s minimum requirements – that is way Mercury has those requirements, if not it the battery “could” limit part of the warranty coverage (e.g. starter burns out due using a battery below minimum voltage).

You will continue to get conflicting messages and until time the claim is submitted and then a determination of what “actually” caused the damage/failure will be established. If, the cause of damage/failure was found to be the “Bluesea” then Mercury will probably decline and you would have to use whatever warranty came from Bluesea. Simply put, and you will find this stated from Mercury, “The warranty does not apply to damage or failures caused by use of an accessory or part not manufactured or sold by us.”

Is it possible a Bluesea could fail creating damage/failure to you engine, resulting Mercury declining warranty coverage – yes. Probable that it would, IMHO – No. But it still is possible since it is dealing with voltages! A good example is if you where to hook your batteries up wrong shooting 24 volts into your 12 volt system, frying your 12 volt engine components or buring up your engine starter out – good luck on that, as you will find Mercury will NOT pay.

Another example not applying to boats that most don’t realize is if you buy and install a “lift kit” on your new truck. Might really look good; however, that structural modification comes with some ramifications. Most don’t realize there is some fine print that really needs read! If a “lifted truck” come in for any warranty claims, the first thing looked at is did the lift kit or any modification installing that kit create the damage/failure, if so warranty VOID. What many don’t realize is the liability associated with those lift kits. That fine print not only addresses the warranty, it removes ALL manufacturer liability. If someone goes out and is involved in an accident (or roll it over) the liability for that structural change goes directly to the company that installed the lift kit and “YOU” so no documentation from the lift company, get out you checkbook as you are personally responsible!

Thanks for all the responses.

The issue that I'm concerned with is: will using the house deep cycle battery for say, a down rigger cause excessive wear on the alternator leading to premature failure and possible warranty problems. Are the guys who are using the add a battery in this way seeing issues with alternators wearing out?

Last edited by a moderator:
If downriggers are the concern you have no worries especially if your kicker is charging the batteries. Even if it isn't downriggers won't draw the batteries down enough. But throw in radar, gps, sonar,radio, fridge, etc. you might have an issue

I have zero idea why it would hurt your motor. They are the best thing you can add to a boat in the electrical department IMHO.

X2!!! Done it, along with several others here. (See Sharp Hooks thread "Wiring..." 22/2/12, and Stayin' Alive: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...-add-a-battery-system-and-kicker-motor-hookup - well discussed.) Most electronic and safety-related devices on your boat depend on the batteries being charged and ready for duty - bilge pumps to VHF. Battery management system: big name for two batteries and a switch - the ACR is also a switch (automatic charging relay, by another name.) Just do it. It's a very simple mod and the Blue Seas instruction is easy to follow - also their web site.

If there is a warranty issue, I'd be hugely surprised, but I'd come out swinging - it'd be totally bogus...

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact, first off, for safety concerns you should always have a back up battery, especially if you are going any distance off shore. Secondly, these switches offer you added protection in that they charge a single battery almost right up before it charges both. So if the the manufacturer suggests otherwise, with that engine you might be better off going with the two battery setup and eliminate all your electronics. You will not have a drawdown in that case. Of course you will have to watch your buddies with their electronics.

Methinks you're worrying to much. It's a great system ,if that voids your warranty then I would quit dealing with mercury. Had mine for a couple of years and love it. Wired my kicker direct to house battery, It's mostly keeps the battery charged with elec downriggers ,GPS,sounder,stereo going . My low battery alarm comes on about once an hour and I run the main for 5 min or so and it's all good. Everyone who has a boat modifies it to their liking , if that voids warranty then it's a good reason not to buy new.

No it will not void your warranty!!!! In the rare case of a battery "shorting out" and damaging the motors charging system their might be an issue but that could happen with just one battery.

Thanks for all the responses.

The issue that I'm concerned with is: will using the house deep cycle battery for say, a down rigger cause excessive wear on the alternator leading to premature failure and possible warranty problems. Are the guys who are using the add a battery in this way seeing issues with alternators wearing out?

The simple answer is No. Using a deep cycle house battery for a downrigger, or anything else for that matter, will not cause excessive wear on the alternator. Lots of boats run two batteries connected either through an A, B, AB, Both switch or an Automatic Charge Relay system such as the Blue Seas. You can be pretty sure that Mercury designs their engines to run with these systems.

Back