9.9 Yamaha Kicker

searun

I'm having issues with my yami (which I just installed onto my new 265 Grady Express) running out of fuel every 15 to 30 minutes of trolling. I have run a fuel line direct from the fuel filter on the main engine. She restarts no problem once you pump the primer bulb. Tried tightening all the hose clamps and yet the system seems to either be getting air or somehow the fuel pump isn't strong enough to pull fuel up out of the main tank. Has anyone encountered this issue, and if so the remedy would be nice to know. Thanks,

Searun

I had the exact same problem. Luckily I have a second outlet on my fuel tank and connected it directly to the kicker (with its own filter) and problem solved.

Are you using the 1/4" fuel hose it came with? They have low vacuum pumps and can lift only so much fuel so larger fuel lines may not work.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

What do you have for a main engine? If it has a diaphragm type pump(on the main), it may have a pinhole in it and the kicker may be sucking air from that, Ive run across that prob. before.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

I just bought the kicker island fish lifter had for sale and was having the same problem. I just put a inline priming bulb to the main motor, as I think it was pulling air from the big motor some how, Now it runs like a top.

sven

you need to install a check valve in line to your main engine.
My 9.9 was sucking fuel from main engine line untill it ran outand grabbed air(easier than pulling it from tank) then main engine was hard to start as well. Bought valve at Cowichan Hose and Hydraulic. Brass. Not a problem after that

a total MILF.Man I Love Fishing

Thanks, the lines are 1/4 inch ID, and the main engines (2) are 225 Suzuki's. Fuel line is connected to my racor fuel filter and water separator.

Back