9.9 Suzuki- impeller change

speydog

Been a long time since I've changed an impeller. Any useful hints would be greatly appreciated. Getting intermittent flow and very hot water. Have all tools, no prob removing leg to access imp. Thanks

I had the same problem. Salt blockage I think. The water was not coming out of the tell tail. I gave the engine a good rev and something came loose.The engine cooled off and no problem since. Thanks

Was flushing motor for winter storage when this happened. Usually wire probe clears pisser, dissasembled lower cowling and removed tube but still can't get flow. That is why I thought impeller or water tube.

I have also put the wd forty plastic tube in the pisser as you called it and sprayed it. Then a bit of air. Start the engine up and see if you have flow in a water tank. If the problem is corrected it saves alot of work.I have been told by Rod at Tiptons outboards that the impeller dont go that often unless the motor has been run without water. Thanks

How much is a new impeller? How much is a new motor? The impeller can not last forever.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I have a 1977 140 evinrude ON A 17 FT HOURSTON. Still goes like hell. Was originally owned by my Dad. I have had it for 8 years now. There has been a few problems . Blow head gasket etc. Still has the original impellor. Maybe not the norm. I am always careful to never run it without water. Thanks

Not to detract from the foregoing, but is "warmer" water than usual coming out of the telltale a sign to have the impellor replaced?

Impellers tend to set or harden after a while and either they have a poor performance or they come apart, then you can have a problem as the pie:Dces migrate through the cooling system and create other problems. Believe me it is not worth the risk.

IMG_1445.jpg

Had a 1989 Honda 9.9 for my kicker. Was on the boat when I bought it in 2001. Was still running when traded for 9.9 Suzuki in 2006. Should say barely running, cost to repair out of the question. Never a problem with impeller. I do know that sometimes they will "weld" themselves to the housing and when started will tear and allow gaps for air to enter.I know motor was flushed properly.Water coming out was almost boiling. Or as Gunsmith said will harden and break.

I rest my case.:)

IMG_1445.jpg

You can tell that it is winter. Nothing better to do. We could have all got together and changed the impellor and had a few beers to boot on the time we talked about this. Spring is getting closer.

LOL so true!:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Back