7 year old Kirkland Batteries

Stosh

Hali opened Mar. 1st, so I decided to bring the boat home and get it ready. I had planned on changing out the batteries, thinking I had squeezed 6 years out of them. To my surprise, the batteries are actually 7 years old. Not sure who makes them for Costco, but they are deep cycle batteries and worked great for me.
I did add some battery equalizer over their lifetime whenever the cells were low. In the past, I had always changed them after five years. Being retired is greatest job I’ve ever had, but the pay stinks, so I delayed spending the money as long as possible.
Anybody catching any Hali?
Stosh

Hali opened Mar. 1st, so I decided to bring the boat home and get it ready. I had planned on changing out the batteries, thinking I had squeezed 6 years out of them. To my surprise, the batteries are actually 7 years old. Not sure who makes them for Costco, but they are deep cycle batteries and worked great for me.
I did add some battery equalizer over their lifetime whenever the cells were low. In the past, I had always changed them after five years. Being retired is greatest job I’ve ever had, but the pay stinks, so I delayed spending the money as long as possible.
Anybody catching any Hali?
Stosh

7 years is about average life for a deep cycle that is not abused. The Costco - Kirkland brand deep cycle batteries are usually Interstate which is owned by Johnson controls. The below link shows the wide variety of battery brands and who manufactures for various companies and branded labels. Interestingly though, that same link does not specify who makes the Costco - Kirkland brand, but my Kirkland batteries do show the Interstate name on them.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm#I

Some Costco's have their seasonal deep cycle batteries in stock now. The Costco store near me has the 12 volt group 27 series at $139.00. The group 24 series, I think is $119.00 or $129.00. They also have an AGM battery - believe it was a group 27 - but may have been a group 24. The price on this battery is $169.00.

I've had really good life from batteries I buy at Canadian Energy (Battery Direct) in Esquimalt. Have them in my Cummins Dodge, 2 Astro Vans and the boat. I have never had a problem and get 7 years plus before they start to weaken.

I've had really good life from batteries I buy at Canadian Energy (Battery Direct) in Esquimalt. Have them in my Cummins Dodge, 2 Astro Vans and the boat. I have never had a problem and get 7 years plus before they start to weaken.

Fairly certain that Canadian Energy are manufactured by Johnson Controls and they could be the same as the Costco - Kirklands - which are re-branded Interstates - which are manufactured by JC.

As the link I posted earlier shows, the battery manufacturing world is fairly small and dominated by a few manufacturers that have many brands and sub-brands and also relabel for many companies.

For the last 20+ years I have been using the Costco deep cycle batteries in my boats. They have never let me down - but then I do replace them about every 6-7 years.

Wow 7 years is a decent run. I normally get 2 years or so on my Seasport. For some reason m Wooldridge ones lasted six years. I do not take the best care of my batteries though. Last time I was in the Bellingham Costco they didn’t even have Kirkland sig but just Interstate Batteries.

What is the best way to maintain deep cycle batteries? Figure the letting sitting dead for months and charging the night before fishing is not the best method.

Keep them topped up. Batteries left dead or very discharged for long periods will sulfate and won't take a charge.

Deep cycle batteries prefer a different charging profile that a starting battery. Then you should consider battery technology; lead-acid, gel, AGM, they all want a different voltage. It is easy to find an AC shore type charger that will satisfy the above, but the stock voltage regulator on your boat engine is made to charge a lead-acid starting battery.

If you can use a deep cycle battery for day use, and only discharge it 50% during the use period, then use the shore charger when you get back, you should get the 6-7 years others are getting. Straying from this usage scenario will shorten battery life. Hooking it up to the boat's alternator & just leaving it will cook the deep cycle. You could use a battery switch & not leave the deep cycle connected to the charging system for very long, then complete the charge back on shore. This method would require some sort of "battery management"; either some meter that measures how much your deep cycle has been discharged, or you could estimate this yourself:

(1) started out with a full charge
(2) Ran the down riggers for 30 minutes drawing 10 amps = 10 amp hours
(3) Ran the electronics for 10 hours drawing 3 amps = 3 amp hours

Total draw - 13 amp hours; I have a deep cycle battery rated capacity of 70 amp hours, so I have discharged the deep cycle less than 20%

Also, make sure that the acid level is kept up as it will drop if they are cycled lots. Just buy a jug of distilled water and keep them topped up to the top of the separators.

I could probably write my own web page book on batteries, maintenance etc, but this link below provides a lot of info for the layman.

Best advise on battery life - is to never discharge them completely - no matter if it is a car battery, marine starting battery or a deep cycle battery. Too many times, I have heard the refrain "I can discharge my deep cycle battery down to nothing and it keeps on going." Fact of the matter is, these batteries are not meant to be completely discharged and if you do so, the battery life is severely shortened.

battery-condition.jpg

As for chargers, lots on the market that make some substantial claims and tout they are the best and will cure cancer etc while charging your batteries. Truth is, I use a Canadian Tire 2/8/12 amp charger for all my deep cycle and marine starting batteries without issue and have not had one premature battery failure.
Again, not abusing your batteries by over discharging will allow the batteries to last for years.

Deep Cycle FAQ.
http://marine-electronics.net/techarticle/battery_faq/b_faq.htm#12

Wow 7 years is a decent run. I normally get 2 years or so on my Seasport. For some reason m Wooldridge ones lasted six years. I do not take the best care of my batteries though. Last time I was in the Bellingham Costco they didn’t even have Kirkland sig but just Interstate Batteries.

From my comments above. Costco - Kirkland batteries are made by Interstate. So those batteries you seen in Bellingham simply did not have the Kirkland label on them.

What is the best way to maintain deep cycle batteries? Figure the letting sitting dead for months and charging the night before fishing is not the best method.

See the FAQ link in my last post.

Last edited:
From my comments above. Costco - Kirkland batteries are made by Interstate. So those batteries you seen in Bellingham simply did not have the Kirkland label on them.

See the FAQ link in my last post.
Guess I need to treat my batteries a little better to last longer. I do have a Guest/Marinco onboard battery charger wired through my shore power. Is it ok to leave that plugged in all the time? Manufactures website states that it can be left plugged in all the time. Thanks for the info.

does this basically apply to AGM deepcycle batteries? Thinking of the pure lead AGM's sold at Can tire...

Almost 100% certain that CT deep cycle batteries are made by Exide as they own the "Nautilus" brand name which CT also uses. Costco also has AGM deep cycle batteries that I mentioned previously. Can't recall the exact size or price but will be at Costco tomorrow and will snap a picture.

In general, AGM batteries are somewhat more sensitive to both under and overcharging, so keep that in mind if you purchase. For any battery though, a good voltmeter and a hydrometer (for lead acid batteries) are your best friend.

I have two Nautilus batteries in my boat that are still going strong that are the original batteries from when l bought the boat in 2006. But l am going to replace them this year. I bought 2 Kirkland deep cycle batteries for the motor home and they didn't last 2 years.

1stLite, Go figure - my boat is 18 yrs old. I changed the first set of batteries out after 5 years and installed Kirkland deepcycles. They were replaced in 2011 with Kirkland deepcycles. Just installed my 3rd set of Kirkland deepcycle batteries. I guess it all about how they are used.
Stosh

The beauty part of the KirkLand batts is the warrantee.......I change mine every 5 years and at that point when I return them I get Pretty much the cost of one battery back. So I'm only paying 50% every 5 years. You can't beat a deal like that folks.

Back