300hp Etec over oiling

bones

Has anyone here have experience with etec Gen1 over oiling? It so bad oil is pouring out the exhaust and dropping cylinders. The motor has had a 300 hour tune up at 230hrs. New injectors and poppit valve ( recall). Wasn't over oiling when it went in and now over oils after the work was done. I'm headed to nootka and was planning on fishing the 50 fathom line. Limping home from that distance wont be fun.

That is something you don't need at anytime!!
I have twin 175 Gen 1 Etecs and scares me when I have to take it to the marine mechanic. Engines run so good and use very little oil and are at the 550 hour mark.

What does the mechanic that did the tune up have to say about the over oiling ?

So I called the mechanic last week and said:
You worked on my boat last Aug and still not working I've put 50 hrs on it half trolling halt at 4000rpm. It had overheat issue and you did tune up including water pump, nee injectors, etc...... It's still not running proper.....

His reply " where booking mid Sept"
Me: But I've books a house in nootka for two months..... Because as you put it " runs mint".

The motor now has dead #6 and fully fowled plugs (only 50 hrs) and have been replaced, the plugs where not gapped properly. But wondering if anyone else has had this issue. People on google have but nobody ever posts what the fix is.

So I called the mechanic last week and said:
You worked on my boat last Aug and still not working I've put 50 hrs on it half trolling halt at 4000rpm. It had overheat issue and you did tune up including water pump, nee injectors, etc...... It's still not running proper.....

Me: But I've books a house in nootka for two months..... Because as you put it " runs mint".

Well Bones for me it would be a direct visit or at least a phone call to the boss.. Have had to do it several time in the past and got things rolling to my advantage... Squeeky wheel gets the grease!! If that doesn't work I'd be calling BRP. Besides the comment from the mechanic is just ignorant!!

That was the boss/owner. Lol, the sadist news was the warranty dropped a month ago.

Wonder if tps sensor needs adjusting due to new injectors and software

The boat is in cultus lake right now hooked to a computer. The tech hasn't heard if this problem before. There was a guy on etec that had the very exact problem, nearly word for word. But he never came back to the forum with his solution.

Do you know if the tech that installed the new injectors mapped them to the PCM? I would assume if he did them
under warranty he was trained to do them properly.

My 2007 250 etec sips oil and runs super clean with 366 hours on it.

Tough news I hope they get it figured out for you before your trip. Warranty off or not the on board computer will show the faults and at what hours they occurred if BRP is any sort of company they will stand behind their product. I've got well over 700hrs on my 06' 175 and not a hint of a glitch out of it yet. It sips oil as well. Never mind the gapping on the plugs, these plugs have to be put in a certain way, you just don't screw a spark plug in a ETec they have to line up to a certain spot marked on the head. Get this unit to a mechanic that knows what he's doing by the sounds of it the last one you had it to is a hack, and an azz hole taboot.

the plugs are indexed correctly according to new mech but the gap was over twice it supposed to be. that's not solving the problem tho, just sloppy.
PCM remapped, not sure..... ill ask new guy. i also understand the tpc needs to be at 195 if the new software was installed.

the funny part is it still sips the oil, it just pours out the lower leg on hot days in the sun

thank you

If the plug gap was too big it would definitely miss fire. With the proper gap you might just have residual unburnt fuel and oil in the exhaust which may take a good run to clear up.

the gap is something like .020 and when pulled out they where .050 or bigger. this leads me to believe that it is something simple like cold spark not igniting a full burn and pushing oil out the tail.
sound plausible......
there was only 5 psi of fuel pressure tho

I have 1000 hrs on my 06 250 no such problems. Had the tube from the impeller to the block replace due to corrosion at the same time the mid section had a little corrosion so I replaced that also. Other than that it's been trouble free.

How many people with etecs have had there 300hr tune up and now are getting smoke out the back? After getting it back from chilliwack. It now smokes alittle has a slight knock at idle, stinks occasionally and I was told I was no longer allowed to idle for more than 30 mins, after that wot for 10mins. After my tune up, its like stepping back in time 20 years

That sucks, did the tech tell you that or a factory rep? I would contact bombardier and see what the best course of action is. 300 hours it should run like new.

300 hour inspection done on twin 175's and run good, although there is a slight hesitation at times with one of them now. Fished 5 days last week and noticed it. Also, rear Icon control now dead after using it and worked fine for a week in June.
If their running good I sure hate taking them in. Seems to always be issues when I get it back.

Hopefully you can get the issue looked after.

I had that hesitation before and is now gone. I could share the bad news or just wait it out, lol

Back