2nd Annual SFBC Derby

profisher

I think it is time to put a search out there for the town and an organizing group that would like to put on and host the next derby. The original concept was for this derby to move around the Island or province each year, giving everyone a chance to host in their home waters. The 2013 version named the "SFBC Banana Challenge" went well for the first year and I think all involved would like to see this grown into something bigger and better. So this is a call to all interested parties to action. Lets hear from you!!!

Bear Cove Cottages and the town of Port Hardy would love to host this derby. We have some great organizations and hatcheries up here that would be more than happy to be a part of this type of event.

Port Hardy has everything needed to host a fantastic derby, spectacular fishing, amazing accommodations, fish processing facilities if needed, ice, tackle, bait, cold beers and lots of shovels for all the BS!

What more do a bunch of fisherman need?

Just throwing it out there to get things started.

Would be more than happy to get the ball rolling on this and pretty sure I could get lots of hands on deck to help out.

Let's do it!

Thanks BearCove for being the first to step up. In fact you stepped up in the 1st 15 minutes!!! The fair thing to do would to take nominations for a set period of time to let everyone who wishes the chance to speak up. Then find some way to vote or draw the winner. Keep the offers coming!!

Off topic (sort of) but I am hoping SVIAC puts on a derby at some point in 2014 and makes it an annual event. I for one won't miss it.

Nice of you to remember the original concept behind the SFBC derby profisher but don't think your getting out of organizing a second SVIAC derby that easy! Here's to hoping something is already in the works.

Well actually the 1st derby was a "SFBC Derby" with SVIAC being the beneficiary of the proceeds. Just had to make that clear.

Maybe somewhere that people from the mainland could boat across to like the gulf islands?

Rule #1..you can only suggest an area if you are throwing your hand up to organize and host!!!! lol

Maybe somewhere that people from the mainland could boat across to like the gulf islands?

People from the mainland can boat across to Hardy. Just sayin' :p. Good on ya Wade for stepping up to the plate :cool:.

Is the banana cup going to be passed along? IMO it should be to keep the new tradition alive.

We can pass along all the contact info to the next group to get another "exact Banana Trophy" made for 2014. The trophies were our biggest headaches last year because we started from scratch. It would be straight forward next year. I think we could get a plaque made with each years winner on a badge and could find an appropriate home for it to be displayed.

Hey, i thought the Banana Trophy was a one of a kind, what am i going to do with two identical trophy's???

Hey, i thought the Banana Trophy was a one of a kind, what am i going to do with two identical trophy's???

I think the base should be enlarged and the thing is passed around with names engraved on the base kinda like the Stanley Cup (but on a wee bit lower level ha ha). JMO. Take pictures of it while it's on your mantle lol. Unless you plan on heading up to Hardy and win it again ;).

Wade from Bear Cove should have the first say in the matter IMO, as he stepped up to the plate first. I think it's his call really. New trophy or existing Wade:)?

Last edited by a moderator:
like the Stanley Cup (but on a wee bit lower level ha ha).
We all have a better chance of having our names on it....... Unlike the Canucks and the Stanley Cup.

I'd think the winner should get one for life....... But there should be another with engraved names on it that gets showcased and passed along.

Fishtank..the 1st event was held on the south Island with Pedder Bay Marina being the host. It was held over the Father's Day Weekend in June.

Fishtank..the 1st event was held on the south Island with Pedder Bay Marina being the host. It was held over the Father's Day Weekend in June.

I suspect there are many on SVI who hoped it or an equivalent would continue on SVI as a replacement for the JDF Derby which seems to have been very much missed since its demise.

I also understand how much work it is to organize and run any Derby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha love all the guys commenting that you should give up your trophy Bag-Juan.

That banana trophy was offered up and has been won. A replica may be made for future events but the original banana man will never see the light of day I'm 98% sure bag Juan is going to be burried with it.

Hardy is a loooong way for most of us to travel I was spoiled last year having the derby in my backyard.

Port Hardy is a long ways away. I was hoping to participate this year but if it is there, I won't be able to. Cost of getting there and pulling a boat isn't cheap. Any chance it will be able to be closer to south? Any one able to volunteer from Renfrew, Nanaimo (good early season fishing there) etc?

Back