25 pound braid for reel that can hold 8 pound mono?

im making a rod for fish in rivers for pinks, steel head, etc. and am wondering if you could put 25 pound braid onto a 8 pound reel or if 25 pound braid is even practical and if not, what should i use?

In terms of diameter the braid will probably be thinner. You definitely could use braid, but it is way more expensive than mono, and if braid tangles you basically have to cut it. Braid has basically zero stretch so it is more responsive than mono. You could put either on, for pinks you dont need 25lb braid, I would get an extra spool and spool up both.

Kunni

In terms of diameter the braid will probably be thinner. You definitely could use braid, but it is way more expensive than mono, and if braid tangles you basically have to cut it. Braid has basically zero stretch so it is more responsive than mono. You could put either on, for pinks you dont need 25lb braid, I would get an extra spool and spool up both.

Kunni
thanks! was worried it would mess up my reel

you can put whatever line you want on your reel
just keep in mind that if you go 25 pound braid and if you snag above or at the connection to the leader the 25 lb braid can break your rod if you keep reefing on it
because the breaking point is closer to 75lbs of pressure

I personally would lighten up the test to 15 lb power pro say and it will gain you distance because the line diameter will be like using 4lb mono
also put some mono backing on first so the braid cant cut into the spool if your drag is too tight. From personal experience i only use sufix 832 or power pro super slck as it is way more durable than fireline

hope that helps

Back