2301 Seaswirl

flytyer

So this is the boat that i am looking for. This is were i need your help. For all the guys who have or had them let me know the pro's and cons. If you can, private me what kind of prices i should be looking at.

Dont worry, this will incluse a road trip south.

[8D][8D]

cheers

HPIM1274-1.jpg

So let's wet your whistle.

I can say that I have guided from many types of boats over the years.

I have been on most of the popular rigs out there and the 2301 is no slouch. I personally think that it has some of the niscest lines of any saltwater sportfisher available.

It has been a long day and I am going to sit down for a little TV with the family. I'll drop another line tomorrow and discuss price with you if your interested.

HL

P1040204.jpg

Originally posted by flytyer

So this is the boat that i am looking for. This is were i need your help. For all the guys who have or had them let me know the pro's and cons. If you can, private me what kind of prices i should be looking at.

Dont worry, this will incluse a road trip south.

[8D][8D]

cheers

Hey Flytyer

I just bought this one from South Corolina and recieve it today. I found it on http://www.boattrader.com

the advice I could give you is take your time looking and pay the money for the survey. Mine was 18 pages and included a compression test. They are around $15-$18 bucks/foot. Do your research on surveyers also.

any questions shoot me an email.

cheers and good luck

striper1.jpg

I have owned one for 3 years and its the best value out there. Sea worthy boat and very reliable. Like others there is a large support system (SOC) and dealerships on the island and the lowermainland

quote:Originally posted by beemer

get an outboard model!

Saw a guy in Renfrew with a sweet looking 2101 he got in California...usual great deal down south.

But it was an inboard with a diesel inboard motor. He said he can get to swiftsure and back for $40 in fuel, or 3-4 trip on one tank! Dunno if that's exaggeration or not, but if true, that's pretty tempting.

[this coming from someone burned badly by inboard problems and vowed to never ever consider one again...;)]

And yes, agree, nice lines indeed. I have heard them called "the poor man's Grady-White". This was meant as an insult, but I think it can be taken as a compliment...all the benefits, half the price tag maybe?

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

quote:Originally posted by beemer

get an outboard model!

Saw a guy in Renfrew with a sweet looking 2101 he got in California...usual great deal down south.

But it was an inboard with a diesel inboard motor. He said he can get to swiftsure and back for $40 in fuel, or 3-4 trip on one tank! Dunno if that's exaggeration or not, but if true, that's pretty tempting.

[this coming from someone burned badly by inboard problems and vowed to never ever consider one again...;)]

And yes, agree, nice lines indeed. I have heard them called "the poor man's Grady-White". This was meant as an insult, but I think it can be taken as a compliment...all the benefits, half the price tag maybe?
Depending on weight, etc, if it is a Volvo D3, it burns about 11/12 gals per hour @ 4000 RPM?

I would "for sure" buy a SeaSwirl (nice boats)and a big bang for your buck, but have to agree... I would also do outboards! Would not have said that 15 years ago, but outboards "have came along way baby!" :)

Unless it is a 2009 30' Express I don't want it. The Grady's are a nice boat. Very heavy duty for sure. But the older models that we all see remind me of Rolls Royces. Obviously incredible heritage and quality , but kind of old looking ( other than the new models. They are nice. Seen them at the Vancouver boat show and wow they are pretty. ) Course the cost for one of those new rides will put you several hundred thousand dollars out of pocket. For comparible prices and the differance between older model Grady's or newer stripers and pursuits I'd take the latter. I think Pursuits, Stripers, Scout, Robalo etc are very sweet rigs. Like others have said, great bang for the buck. I do everything in my Striper. My next ride though just may well be a 28'.

You know , the footitis thing.

Sorry but I don't consider Grady's to be all that well built. They are way over rated. A very good hull for offshore rough water, but not put together as well as the price would suggest. I would put them in the upper average in quality of materials and components. They are popular because there is so much used inventory down south that they can be brought up here cheap. You don't see many guys buying new ones for full pop.

Actually I should refrase and I dislike when guys say "bang for your buck". For one, no Striper, Pursuit, Scout, Robalo etc. is inexpensive. It's just that Grady's are way over priced. I do not see where the massive differance in price if justified.

****Disclaimer: Not intending to knock any Grady owners out there. They are all nice rides:D

......Charlie, now look what you have started LOL

Me? The only thing I said is,
quote:I would "for sure" buy a SeaSwirl (nice boats)and a big bang for your buck, but have to agree... I would also do outboards! Would not have said that 15 years ago, but outboards "have came along way baby!":)
:D:D

Hey Charlie, didn't even notice you said the bang for your buck thing. I thought I'd get a little heat though from some Grady owner if I said I thought they were overated.

It's all good.

The boats.......they're all beautiful;)

quote:Originally posted by highlights

Hey Charlie, didn't even notice you said the bang for your buck thing. I thought I'd get a little heat though from some Grady owner if I said I thought they were overated.

It's all good.

The boats.......they're all beautiful;)
:D:D

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Sorry but I don't consider Grady's to be all that well built. They are way over rated. A very good hull for offshore rough water, but not put together as well as the price would suggest. I would put them in the upper average in quality of materials and components. They are popular because there is so much used inventory down south that they can be brought up here cheap. You don't see many guys buying new ones for full pop.

You joking right... what would you consider top of the line then? There built like tanks and there fit and finish is unsurpassed (unsurpassed = there are other boats like regulator, carolina custom, contender, buddy davis, pursuit, etc) that have a similar finish. Have you ever owned or been on one? My best friend bought a brand new jenkins marina boat (sea sport knock off) for 120k two years ago, and my 89 grady puts its fit and finish to shame already - both in quality and functionality.
Best bang for your buck? NO - its like buying a mercedes or bmw - a honda does the same thing but your paying a premium for the name.

I have a 2005 Seaswirl 2101. I bought the boat new and has been good to me. The 4.3 fuel injected volvo gives me w.o.t. @ 44 m.p.h. and cruises 30 m.p.h.@ 3300. The fit and finish is no where as nice as Grady. There are all kinds of blemishes on the glass. The seats are crap and the windshield frame is weak. But the boat was about $30K less than the same size Grady.

quote:Originally posted by flytyer

highlights, what model is yours 2301? or a 27

HPIM1274-1.jpg

She is the 2301 model. Although the hull is actualy a 24'. The differance between the 2301 and the 26' model is negligeable. In fact Seaswirl is planning on doing away with one or the other so I've heard. Step up to the 28' and it becomes a massive differance. At that size however the true Striper/sportfisher look gets lost I think. Becomes more cruiserish if there is such a word. I think If I were to go to that size I would look at the new 30' Grady Express or a pursuit. I do love this boat. First time I picked it up It felt huge being trailered. I'm used to it now and she feels very mobile. The great thing is that I take her everywhere. I spend alot of time fishing Cowichan lake as well and she fits in nicely. Much bigger and Getting her around would be difficult. I'd say this is still the all round perfect size for my needs. My wife reminds me that I could have settled for the 19'Trophy......so be happy. I did spend more than I anticipated , but when I saw this boat compared to others I was looking at , I was very happy to give my money for it. It came from waaaay down south. It had only 20 hrs. on it and was used only a couple times by a non fishing family. It was kept in dry storage and it was just gleaming when I looked at it. I saved half of what Sherwood could have rigged it up to me for.

Very happy camper over here!

P1040204.jpg

P1040442.jpg

striperfront.jpg

P1040436.jpg

P1040172.jpg

HL

Nedard, I ran a 22 foot for 1 season, it was a twin outboard model with a splash board transom. Besides the problem with that design and being a wet deck to the point of it sinking once before I ran it and it almost doing the same to me....that is not my beef as that is a model design problem not construction quality problem. The wiring and fuse panels on the boat were not as good as they should have been..I would say cheap...I had the whole boat rewired and new panels installed as the pumps failed due to wiring when she almost went down on me. During the same incident the batteries were totally under water as they sat in the bilge area up against the transom....where does water settle first? The lodge I visit up north runs 3 Grady's (used from Florida of coarse) One of them requires heavy bags of sand up in the bow to reduce some bad porpoising. Many of the 5-6 year old Grady's coming out of Florida already have partially rotten transoms, stringers. An example of a high end boat that if I was spending big bucks on a new boat and intended to either keep a long time and know it would hold up...or have only a few years and hold its value for resale..take a look at the 30 & 33 Oceansport! By the way I'm not saying they are bad boats at all, just that there are better.

Back