20ft Hourston New Power

coast

I'm looking for suggestions for power on a 20ft Hourston with a new pod. Im thinking the 200hp inline 4 verado would do. However I'm wondering if a 225 6 cylinder would be better for low and mid range torque. I'd like to keep the rpm's below 4200 as much as possible and stay at a good cruising speed (28-30mph). I'm not to worried about hole shot or top end speed. Thanks!

200 Suzuki 4 cyl with a 6 year warranty. Propped correctly and with the motor at the right height you should have no trouble hitting your speed goal and getting great fuel Economy as well.

Last edited:
I know when I repowered to the 300 zuki from the 300 yam...the Zukie burned 8 litres a hr less , same speed same loads...adds up fast.. :)

lower gearing, bigger prop!!

200 etc would be perfect, I have a verado on mine. 6cyl, 635 pounds. Had my engine bracket made specifically for the weight so it has a big chamber for flotation. At rests sits perfect. Was looking at a 200 4cyl Vrod but the deal went south Been searching high and low for a 225 or 200 etc. Can not go new the wifey would kill me.

200 etc would be perfect, I have a verado on mine. 6cyl, 635 pounds. Had my engine bracket made specifically for the weight so it has a big chamber for flotation. At rests sits perfect. Was looking at a 200 4cyl Vrod but the deal went south Been searching high and low for a 225 or 200 etc. Can not go new the wifey would kill me.
What's the reason for switching from the Vrod 6 (I assume the 225)? Just motor getting old, or did you want the lighter weight of the 200?

used new to me 225 . Had park isle marine build the pod to hang a pair of 115's no wood used . put a new tank in floor and replaced the rotten bulkhead under the dash hopefully finish rigging this week and splash her next weekend

used new to me 225 . Had park isle marine build the pod to hang a pair of 115's no wood used . put a new tank in floor and replaced the rotten bulkhead under the dash hopefully finish rigging this week and splash her next weekend
Nice! How does it sit/ride with the full hull fibreglass pod and 225? I will be going with a similar setup on mine.

she rides like a dream 2 guys 280 lts fuel and all our gear cruise 25 knts @ 3700 rpm pulled the throttle back at 51 knts going to put trim tabs back on then I'll see what top speed is ! sure rides nice in a 3 foot chop much better than the 20' DE

Back