2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Oh boo boo! Why you hating on me? Because I liked his post?
In our area Fun to watch other boats catching fish...great comraderie :eek:

" Why you hating on me?"
now this is getting ridicules.
Fishtofino, you don't fish halibut in the Victoria Oak Bay area and really have not experienced what I am saying AND actually I like you and you may recall I recommended you to someone looking for a westcoast guide.
Last season one of the guys who dropped his anchor on top of me lost his spreader bar and gear on my anchor chain.
I am not talking about experienced guides, rather, for the most part, people who know little about halibut fishing and are playing follow the leader.
I hope this post helps you to understand the situation.
I need to come up your way where "we stack Anchor 3-4 boats in an area less than 100 yards away from each other or even up stream and we form a super slick of scent and all get them good. " cause it's just not that easy down here!

As noted by Scott above...reports about fishing, good or bad, pics or no pics, lots of detail or very little detail, etc. are to be posted in the report threads. ALL other information or content about some other subject like how to properly anchor, why one side of your boat catches more fish than the other, or which side of the boat you should blow your nose on for better luck, belong in their own thread, so start a new one!
And, for those that feel it is necessary to reply to some of these often innocuous comments, that then turn into a very unnecessary fight, don't bother...it's not worth the aggravation...mine!
Rant over...now go have a great day on the water!

This one was good on the weekend !
T -Rex double- Glow

51G89FmxD4L.jpg

Put a 6 hr shift on pick at border bank on Sat with nothing to show but one enormous doggy and a bit of sunburn.

6 hours on Sunday. Nothing till 12:30 then the bite came on. 5 Big Dogs. No Hali . LOL.

But I am sure DFO counted me for catching 2 on their flyover and another 2 for the trailer count in parking lot.
I'm really racking up our quota. LOL!

Took the kids out yesterday. Didn’t catch any halibut but got two cabezons. We saw lots of birds out in the 200’ depth on the way in and tried jogging for herring but didn’t get any. Are we doing something wrong?

We went out Monday SE of Discovery for four hours. Used mackerel, salmon belly and herring. Not a sniff, not a dogfish or any other critter for that matter. A few boats anchored inside the shipping lanes. Not a great plan.

Took the kids out yesterday. Didn’t catch any halibut but got two cabezons. We saw lots of birds out in the 200’ depth on the way in and tried jogging for herring but didn’t get any. Are we doing something wrong?
Sorry, I know it's a typo, but the mental image of you all "jogging" around the boat made me laugh. Best bet for jigging herring in my opinion is the Admirals Road bridge. It will get crowded at times but the weather hardly matters. As with anything, timing is important, but when the schools are there it's productive for food or bait. Success jigging on the chuck means finding and staying atop a school, which is not so easy as they are often being chased from above and below so not staying put.

Any halibut report? Or dogfish report? Haven't had the boat out since September, and I'm ready to get out there.

Or salmon reports? I was driving along Dallas Rd between jobs today and saw 10 or so boats I was EXTREMELY jealous of... it looked majestic out there! Who caught something?!

I thought it was bled out when I brought it in the boat........apparently I thought wrong

Back