2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

One dogfish and a 64 lb. halibut for us today,only bites we had in 5 hours anchored up.
Next time start with the 64lb halibut... then mention the dogfish! Congrats :D
what was the bait of choice?

Also, did you get it weighed at island outfitters? With the new size regs coming in a couple of weeks, that might be the biggest of the year!

Headed out off Albert for the some springs. Dragged the bottom for 4 hours and nothing. The creel guy only recorded one decent hali and 2 barely legal springs all morning.

one hali today and a whole bunch of Dogs.....ugh!
Never have seen so many dogs so early!!!
Lots of fishermen too...funny how some guys think they need to be right on top of you...as if your spot is the only place to be.

After striking out two weekends a row, got a few Hali in the boat yesterday. First fish on the new boat! Set the hook at a backup spot about 7:45 after my usual spot was crowded. After a long wait and just a few dogs, hit a nice 33# at 11:30 of the bow rod. Not as nice a platform as the old boat at the front but my boat partner had left his amazing harpoon that even I was able to use, on the boat so it was an easier landing then my usual gaffing off of the bow.

Handed the next bow rod to go off at about 12:30 to our rookie, who had never caught a halibut. Nice little chicken at #16 with a high five after using the harpoon, newbie was stoked! Then I hear, "we are going to need that harpoon back here!" Basically a double header and this time it was a 125cm skinny 49#. Didn't get to reel one in but nice to know the new boat isn't cursed and finally got some food to feed the family.

Salmon bellies and hearing. Hope you guys are slaying today!

But on a more positive note, I’m super happy you were getting some blood on the new boat deck! Congrats :D
After striking out two weekends a row, got a few Hali in the boat yesterday. First fish on the new boat! Set the hook at a backup spot about 7:45 after my usual spot was crowded. After a long wait and just a few dogs, hit a nice 33# at 11:30 of the bow rod. Not as nice a platform as the old boat at the front but my boat partner had left his amazing harpoon that even I was able to use, on the boat so it was an easier landing then my usual gaffing off of the bow.

Handed the next bow rod to go off at about 12:30 to our rookie, who had never caught a halibut. Nice little chicken at #16 with a high five after using the harpoon, newbie was stoked! Then I hear, "we are going to need that harpoon back here!" Basically a double header and this time it was a 125cm skinny 49#. Didn't get to reel one in but nice to know the new boat isn't cursed and finally got some food to feed the family.

Salmon bellies and hearing. Hope you guys are slaying today!

Are you guys having success for hali around Albert head area or out at constanance back. Gonna try heading out tomorrow for the first time.
I tired constanance last year and got skunked

Rayvon
Congrats! I’m heading out on Tuesday with an old friend from Ladner. Any tips?
Thanks
Stosh

Fitzy
I tried the west side of Constance on Saturday with no luck. Heading out on Tuesday, hope to find one or 2. Not sure where to go.

Last edited:
Fitzy
I tried the west side of Constance on Saturday with no luck. Heading out on a Tuesday, hope to find one or 2. Not sure where to go.
Thanks for the heads up

Seems like they are catching some out there

your spot didnt know you bought a piece of the ocean

Funny you should jump on me for saying some guys seem to think dropping an anchor within 100 meters or closer of you is OK.
I don't think I own my piece of the ocean.
All I am trying to say is it's REALLY not that important to be right on top of someone who is already on anchor!
It is poor etiquette and there is lots of room for everyone!
However if fishtales and Fishtofino who liked his post feel they need their part of the ocean with no regard for how close he is to someone already on anchor...go for it....I really don't give a damn...we got our hali and left and he was still sitting there.

fogged in, don't let fishtale's post bother you. When I read it, I thought WTF. When you say "your spot", you just meant where you happened to be at that time. At least, that's the way I took it. When you move or go out on another day and anchor up somewhere that is your spot at that particular time. Just a way of expressing where you are at any given moment. Jeezz.

Funny you should jump on me for saying some guys seem to think dropping an anchor within 100 meters or closer of you is OK.
I don't think I own my piece of the ocean.
All I am trying to say is it's REALLY not that important to be right on top of someone who is already on anchor!
It is poor etiquette and there is lots of room for everyone!
However if fishtales and Fishtofino who liked his post feel they need their part of the ocean with no regard for how close he is to someone already on anchor...go for it....I really don't give a damn...we got our hali and left and he was still sitting there.
Oh boo boo! Why you hating on me? Because I liked his post? :eek:

In our area we stack Anchor 3-4 boats in an area less than 100 yards away from each other or even up stream and we form a super slick of scent and all get them good. Fun to watch other boats catching fish...great comraderie

Carry on

Back