Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to get out today for the first time in a couple months. Fished tunstall at the high and only managed one under on an AP 4.5" sand-something or other and a chartruse guide series flasher. Got it just off that rock outcrop at 150' fishing the bottom. The wind got bad so we toured around Bowen... clockwise. That's it.

I managed to get out today for the first time in a couple months. Fished tunstall at the high and only managed one under on an AP 4.5" sand-something or other and a chartruse guide series flasher. Got it just off that rock outcrop at 150' fishing the bottom. The wind got bad so we toured around Bowen... clockwise. That's it.
Sandlance...same as a what some call a needlefish

Fishing tunstall. Flat calm and quiet. Seen 2 shakers released.

Anyone having success?

Attachments

• F120FC79-71B7-45AB-A11E-056CAA10F8D3.jpeg
    F120FC79-71B7-45AB-A11E-056CAA10F8D3.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 100
I was wondering how HITW has been lately , good on ya for letting him know last time out seen a few sets by sunset!!

Fishing tunstall. Flat calm and quiet. Seen 2 shakers released.

Anyone having success?

Fished until 3pm. 2 misses, no keepers. 3 keeper crabs as a consolation.

Lots of bait but little action. Bumped into the Gibbs Delta crew at the dock. 3 keepers and 9 hookups reported at Tunstall. I only saw one net out all day so this was quite a surprise. They must’ve been the hot boat as every other boat was reporting a very slow but beautiful day.

Attachments

• 1A06E34E-A3C6-427D-AC15-301625F01359.jpeg
    1A06E34E-A3C6-427D-AC15-301625F01359.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 66
Dropped the crab traps in the harbor and fished the freighters for an hour and a half. I've never actually fished that area this time of year but didn't want to go far from the traps. Had a couple of shakers on a skinny g in 80' of water bouncing bottom. I was glad to see that there were actually fish there. Cooking up 8 crabs right now, gorgeous day out there.

Anybody out on the water this morning? There’s a gale warning in effect but hardly a breathe around where I am in the Tri-Cities area....:rolleyes:

Ya was dead calm at tunstil and within a hour it went for a **** ,put my prawn traps in a ****** spot and the tide was raging and the waves so couldn't retrieve my traps gotta go back tomorrow to hopefully find them lol

Last edited:
Ya was dead calm at tunstil and within a hour it went for a **** ,put my prawn traps in a ****** spot and the tide was raging and the waves so couldn't retrieve my traps gotta go back tomorrow to hopefully find them lol
Well it ain't all that bad if you get to go out again tomorrow! Should be a nice day

Can anyone give me any insight as to where to fish up Howe Sound? I've only ever fished HTW. I'm going out tomorrow and was thinking Tunstall, but that's because it's the only place I know in the winter. Pretty please?

Try fishing Grace Islands, westernmost "finger" of Gambier. Fish up the east side. Stick between 150-200 contour and you should have some success if you find some bait.

Can anyone give me any insight as to where to fish up Howe Sound? I've only ever fished HTW. I'm going out tomorrow and was thinking Tunstall, but that's because it's the only place I know in the winter. Pretty please?

Started at Tunstall with a couple of shakers but not marking much bait. Just dropped the gear at Grace. Couple boats.

Fished the harbor today. Tried spoons, hootchies, ripped around w plugs for a while, then back to spoons. Hooked a keeper on a kitchen sink spoon while bringing the gear up. It bit at about 50’ down, in 150’ of water not too far from the Cap river. Lost it at the boat, likely because I didn’t have a swivel ahead of the spoon and the fish was rolling a lot.

Nothing at tunstil in the harbour now got one withing 5 mins and a shaker so far !!99 herring aid!!
Man I put in work today with nada. Over at Grace there was two guys in a small whaler that just couldn't keep the little guys off! I would have happily had that action. Does anyone know if Grace fishes the same as Tunstall (down in the mud)

Man I put in work today with nada. Over at Grace there was two guys in a small whaler that just couldn't keep the little guys off! I would have happily had that action. Does anyone know if Grace fishes the same as Tunstall (down in the mud)
Often yes, but i have found them suspended 30-40' up from bottom in winter too. Often the bait suspends in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back