Status
Not open for further replies.
Coho are next years fish? I thought they become unrestricted on June 1. The under size are definitely next years though ....... you may have misunderstood my statement?

Cheers
No I was talking about those 8 lb Chinooks everyone keeps posting

Got a marbled 22ers three miles off thrasher early this am. About 60’ down getting set up in the river plume

All undersized after that for me but the good one made the run worthwhile

Spoons were working more than hootchies for the first time for me over there this year. Kitchen sink had the bulk

Nice work. When you say “getting set up in the river plume” does that mean you were in the silty water, or right at the transition from silty to blue? Cruises by Thrasher today and saw a bubble of blue around it.

No I was talking about those 8 lb Chinooks everyone keeps posting
Thanks for your clarification. I find the 8 pounders to be good eats but if I could find the bigger ones I'd gladly forego the 8's for 18's ............ just haven't been able to connect with them yet.

Cheers

Nice work. When you say “getting set up in the river plume” does that mean you were in the silty water, or right at the transition from silty to blue? Cruises by Thrasher today and saw a bubble of blue around it.
In the heavy silt

Went out to South Bowen this am. Started at Cowan and had our first fish on within 5 mins. of getting the gear down. About 10 lbs, 105' on spackleback hootchie. Hooked another shortly thereafter on same setup but it was undersized. Then it went dead. Trolled up to Roger Curtis and a pass into Tunstall but nothing. Most excitement was watching the HMCS Regina practicing its maneuvers, turning hard at what looked like full throttle. He was surprisingly close, and damn near swamped the recreational fishing fleet with his huge wake.

Fished thrasher early , weaving through commie prawn traps on the reef scared up a small Keeper + a low teener, handful of 5 - 6 lbers. Stopped on the way home and fished the whole southern face of Bowen for 5 slightly undersize fairly shallow 51' on the rigger. All love was on hoochies, a j55 cuttlefish ( glow with blue stripe , I think that's what it's called ), and also a glow turd did some work.

Left Vancouver around 5:45am and headed to Nanaimo to fish off Departure Bay. Seas were pretty big but they were following so not too hectic, except for half a forest floating in the middle of the Straight. Set down rods in around 500’ of clear water off Fingers, excited to reel in a big Chinook. Lines were at 120’ and 160’ to start with herring aid and green/white spoons. Proceeded to catch somewhere between 80 and 90 bajillion small cohos. They had gorgeous colour to them, and all were wild (and of course all released). The seas started picking up and I realized the return trip would be problematic/dangerous so tucked into Horseshoe Bay and worked my way down to Gabriola Passage on the inside. By the time I popped out near Thrasher the tide had changed and the seas were more manageable. Marked gobs of bait over the reef but I was solo and with the hefty wind wanted to fish with the wind well away from any boats or rocks. Headed out to 500’ of water and proceeded to catch and release loads more small wild coho. Their colour was stunning! Also managed to get into a solo double header with a pair of pinks. So, hooked into a googleplex of fish, but came home with none in the box. That said I loved seeing how many coho were out there. Encouraging, and they certainly put up a nice fight for their size!

Fished South Bowen with my daughter yesterday after an overnight anchored in False Creek. Got one quickly at Cowen but it was
2 cm short. Lost one and missed a couple then released another shorty near Roger Curtis. On our trip back We decided we would pull up at Cowen and head to the West Van shore for some crabs. Just as we were about to give up the fishing we got our keeper right at Cowen Point. A 14lb red that gave my girl a workout. Had to reel a little for her but she brought it home. All fish were caught on hootchies at 90-110 feet.
Where are you guys crabbing to get the big keepers? West Van is a bust. Only one big enough from four traps twice this spring!

Try crabbing the mile markers to the bell bouy in about 50 to 70 ft. Trap theft is on the up these days so stay close by if possible.

left the dock about 8 am and set 2 crab traps in the outer harbour. kinda deep at 100 to 120' south east of the QB marker. It was very windy easterly so trolled in the harbour for 5 hours for no results. traps yielded 3 keepers and 2 throw backs. Hoping to get to thrasher next weekend for some better weather and fun.

Got out for the first time this year and set two crab traps off Jerico before proceeding over to Bowen to join the pack trolling. Missed a small something on a spoon at 90ft and that was it for me. Saw some on the sounder at RC, but none of the boats there at the time seemed to be able to get them to bite. Wind blew up in the afternoon and scattered the fleet. That navy ship sure can move! Came back to find 3 keepers in one trap and the other one completely empty! Next weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back