Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=203600&ID=all

Fishery Notice
Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Shellfish
Subject:
FN1257-RECREATIONAL - Shellfish - Prawn and Shrimp - Areas 13, 16, 17, 19, 23, 25, 28 closures

Recreational prawn and shrimp by trap harvesters are advised that the harvest
of prawns and shrimp by trap, ring net, or spear while diving, will close from
00:01 hours January 1, 2018, to 23:59 hours March 31, 2018, in the following
Subareas as described in the Pacific Fishery Management Area Regulations:

Subarea 13-13 (Quadra Island area);
Subareas 16-5, 16-8 (Sechelt / Narrows Inlets), 16-9, 16-10, 16-16 (Malaspina
Strait / lower Jervis Inlet);
Subareas 17-5, 17-9 (portion Stuart Channel), 17-16 (Nanaimo);
Subarea 19-7 (portion Saanich Inlet);
Subareas 23-1 to 23-4 (Alberni Inlet, Barkley Sound);
Subareas 25-1 to 25-5, 25-8, 25-16 (Nootka Sound, Muchalaht Inlet, Tahsis
Inlet); and,
Subareas 28-1, 28-2 (Howe Sound).

These 3-month winter closures are in place to allow the prawn spawning period
to complete. These areas re-open 00:01 hours April 1, 2018.

Subareas 17-6 (portion Stuart Channel) and 19-8 to 19-12 (portion Saanich
Inlet) will continue "pulse fishing" (closed in the first half of the month and
open in the second half of the month) through to March 31, 2018. This means
that Subareas 17-6 and 19-8 to 19-12 are closed from:

00:01 hours December 1, 2017 to 23:59 hours December 15, 2017;
00:01 hours January 1, 2018 to 23:59 hours January 15, 2018;
00:01 hours February 1 to 23:59 hours February 15, 2018; and
00:01 hours March 1 to 23:59 hours March 15, 2018.

All prawns carrying eggs should be released.

All other coastal areas remain open to the harvest of prawns and shrimp by
trap, ring net, or spear while diving until further notice, except the
following protected areas which are closed year round:

Strait of Georgia and Howe Sound Glass Sponge reef areas;
Gwaii Haanas National Marine Conservation Area;
Hecate Strait and Queen Charlotte Sound Glass Sponge Reefs Marine Protected
Area;
Race Rocks Ecological Reserve and Area of Interest (AOI);
Whytecliffe Park;
Porteau Cove;
Point Atkinson; and
Vancouver Harbour between Lions Gate Bridge and Ironworkers Memorial Bridge
(also known as Second Narrows Bridge).

Variation Order No. 2017-611. Variation Order No. 2017-455 is revoked.

NOTES:
Refer to the following website to Plan Ahead: seasonal prawn closures
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages-eng.html

The daily bag, possession and trap limits continue to be in effect coast-wide.

Refer to the B.C. Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide for further information
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.html

These actions are in accordance with the Recreational Harvest Plan, Appendix 2
of the 2017/18 Prawn and Shrimp by Trap Integrated Fisheries Management Plan.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Laurie Convey 250-756-7233 laurie.convey@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Mike Kattilakoski 250-756-7315 mike.kattilakoski@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
David Fogtmann 250-339-3799 david.fogtmann@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Anna Magera 604-916-6743 anna.magera@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Brad Beaith 250-756-7190 brad.beaith@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Heading out tomorrow for the first time this year. Crab, prawns, and troll around for a bit. Before anyone gets on the band wagon, yes I know about the closures.

Finally the forum is back up , went out Sunday was glass for the most part of the day hooked into 5 fish ,2 shakers and one barely legal thrown back and kept 2 nice ones !! The gate guy at Sunset is dead sure prawns aren't closed and is telling people you can even though I shared the link with him so don't listen to the fool , and was obvious that it was closed didn't see one trap in the closure area which is awesome!!

Finally the forum is back up , went out Sunday was glass for the most part of the day hooked into 5 fish ,2 shakers and one barely legal thrown back and kept 2 nice ones !! The gate guy at Sunset is dead sure prawns aren't closed and is telling people you can even though I shared the link with him so don't listen to the fool , and was obvious that it was closed didn't see one trap in the closure area which is awesome!!

That lazy prick is a Jack butt! Good on ya

Check your subareas for closed vs open.http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/shellfish-coquillages-eng.html

28-1 , 28-2 closed others not.
Oh ya I know that the idiot was trying to say 28-1 and 2 where open still I went above and did well and didn't see on trap in the closed area so it seems most people pay attention and read regs

Was out today Tunstall area for about 4 hours. It was dead. Saw one verrrry small Chinook hooked and landed by the boat next to us. That was it. Lots of fog on the crossing which included a close encounter to wake everyone up.

LOST- Set a string of prawn traps (2 traps) in a LEGAL area near by with plenty of weight and line but miraculously they went missing. First time in 12 years. Name and number is clearly marked on the orange buoy with 2 other floats (white/red/blue float and white/red float) If anyone found a set perhaps dragged by a log boom matching this description please pull it and PM me. I will provide a reward for the gear.

STOLEN - Also, someone stole a 2016 mercury pro kicker 9.9 registration number 0R742492 this week from my driveway. (Scum bags) Similar to the one in the photo but with a black prop. Please msg me or call the North Vancouver RCMP.

Hope others have faired better lately.

Attachments

• 5086A27C-881E-453A-B506-4905AE9CA2D6.jpeg
    5086A27C-881E-453A-B506-4905AE9CA2D6.jpeg
    217.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 4470C130-65A5-48E2-B55E-238D4B903333.jpeg
    4470C130-65A5-48E2-B55E-238D4B903333.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Was out today but fog kept us in the harbour. Not much going on. Lost two - probably undersized - that were both grabbed by seals in mid harbour. Saw no seals all day and then a bunch just before the fish started biting. At least my wife wasn't on board and I didn't have to listen to how cute the seals are.

After not dropping the lines for 3 weeks, managed to head ovcr and fish Tunstall for a couple hours both Saturday and Sunday. There was an unbelievable amount of surface activity and shallow feed on Saturday but the two legal fish we caught were on bottom as per usual (Skinny G’s). Released two other undersized. Completely different day Sunday ... slower run out and back into the Harbour with gps plotted course and radar overlay (today’s marine electronics never cease to amaze me), far less bait and only one bite that ended up being a nice little 65 cm red.

Last edited:
Tried the harbour today. Hit one that was a couple inches short by the bell and missed a good hit by the freighters. Lots of bait by the freighters but not much action. Got stopped by the RCMP for a safety check leaving the Vanier launch and also had VPD boat pull beside me for a quick chat.
Safety checks are voluntary right?

I think we've got everything covered, but can I ask what they check for? Would brews on board be a problem for them.........?

Safety checks are voluntary right?

I think we've got everything covered, but can I ask what they check for? Would brews on board be a problem for them.........?

"Checks" as you call them are not voluntary. Participation is required.
If they say "show me your PCOC", you have to produce it. If they say "Show me your Fire Extinguisher", you have to produce it. If they say "Show me your life jackets for all on board". You have to produce it.

Alcohol on board usually is not an issue if it closed and out of sight. However, if it's open, you better have cooking facilities and be tied to a dock. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back