2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Five hour shift trolling constance. Rods didn't move. No nets out among half a dozen boats

We suffered the same fate as you at Constance today. 4 hrs trolling with no luck, and then an hour drifting for Hali with the same zero.
Better than yardwork tho!

Left james bay around 6, motored to other side of discovery to try drifting for Hali. Current was way too strong and it was a little rough over there, so we ripped to the flats and dropped our salmon gear down. Ended up with 4 nice springs - 9lb's to 13! Found a nice little honey hole a little further out from the pack.
green glow gear was our hot ticket with 4-6 foot leaders.

PatyO'Furniture must have found the right spot. We were at Constance on Saturday, managed one fish and saw no other fish caught. One of the guide boats there was skunked. Yesterday on the flats, again one fish and saw no other hookups where we were. The most frustrating thing was that our one fish yesterday was well over 67 cm (12-13 lbs I'd say) and had to be released. Was bleeding quite badly, but did take off like a rocket when released. Between the slot limits and the seals, one has to wonder if it's worth the effort. Don't get out that much, and enjoy my time on the water; however, I also enjoy the odd barbecued salmon.

Reactions: NAD
Fished halis for FOUR days, pretty much all day long, and no luck! My worst results ever. The strait seemed dead. The fact that we could have herring bouncing along the bottom for hours without a bottom fish eating it was disturbing.

Didn't mark any bait on the screen either.

The weather was great, and we had a good time despite the terrible fishing.

Fished halis for FOUR days, pretty much all day long, and no luck! My worst results ever. The strait seemed dead. The fact that we could have herring bouncing along the bottom for hours without a bottom fish eating it was disturbing.

I fished all day on Sunday. Great currents too! Fished a couple spots where I have had success before. Nada. Put in a good 6 hours.

Last edited:

hah, think i saw you guys headed for cattle point. I was up by uvic on the lawn tractor and was jealous to see you rollin to go fishing.

hali s are deeeeep now . 300 plus. Fished off pedder on sunday , two nice chickens and lots of strikes , changed bait frequently , octopus was the action bait .

beemer

I spent the evening trolling the oak bay flats - not a bite even though I could clearly see a LOT of salmon on the sounder. Must have missed the bite? My buddy had the same experience yesterday morning. Ive heard of some salmon coming in around beachy heady - anyone been fishing out that way recently?

Did the flats yesterday. Kept 3 for the two of us. Two on a No Bananas spoon behind a purple onion flasher, 3rd fish was on a homemade KD spoon behind a sparkly white flasher. All dragging the sand. Released a few and missed a few good hits too. Saw nets out for others and the jiggers seemed to be doing quite well. The wife called me a lobster when I got home.......

Reports vary. On the flats from 530-1230 today. Several bait balls throughout the morning. Only one or two touching bottom. Mostly shallow like 10 ft deep. The armada was out in full force. More boats than fish on the sounder. Released 1 around 4lbs. Lost 2 small ones. Saw a few small ones lost and caught. I only saw one bent rod with a big fish that he lost after hooking as he cut me off. Karma. Bites at dawn, 9ish, 11ish

It was almost as good as it gets out there this past weekend. Incredible weather. Flat calm. 3 solid days of fishing capped off with a large hatchery Chinook yesterday. Ended the day as we were going in with an Orca show in Baynes Channel (pretty rare site seeing them there) and spotted a large female Sea Lion in the area as well. Crab traps full. It was a good day!

A bit disappointed at the on water etiquette from some of the guiding fleet visiting the area on the weekend. When you overtake me - then turn across my bow -- then give me the finger because I should know where you are going -- its time to go back to school and brush up on your basic geometry!!! Still shaking my head at how some people can make give themselves stress with such a relaxing activity. With the crowds on the flats all moving in random directions it felt like fishing Renfrew at Logan Creek in the peak of August!

Was pretty cool seeing all the jigging action going on. Even watched a couple in a 50-ish foot sailboat jig up a nice fish -- not sure if they landed it as they ended up drifting well out -- pretty tough to net a fish when you're 4-5ft off the water!

Fished OB Flats for 4 hours this morning. Just one small hatchery at 130 ft on a green squirt and lemon/lime flasher.

Went 5/9 today off Constance... fed a seal a good teener... fish we got were 6-13lbs... scraping bottom with the trusty skinny G's

Fished Constance today from 8-noon with a couple bites and one small wild in the boat. Moved to Oak Bay flats til 3 with no love. Still a beauty day on the water.

Any reports from this weekend?

Finally got one after many skunks this year, nothing of any great size but 100 ft off Mcaulay point in 150.
Sat 7pm. Please let there be a few more hehe.

Back