2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Discussion in '2017 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by porcupine, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Gear'n'beer!

Gear'n'beer! Well-Known Member

Was also out Friday with Rockdog anchored up for halibut and there was a dude in a big shiney new weldcraft trolling for salmon zig zagging through all the anchored up boats! Could not believe it. I wonder how many guys in the fleet out there picked some new gear out of their anchor lines.....I mean I know I don't own the ocean but for Christ sakes man!

GnB

2. Andrew P

Andrew P Well-Known Member

Had a good quick morning troll off the waterfront with my youngest son. Only fished for just over an hour. Released a mid-teen wild and then kept this 13lb hatch. Both were 130' on the bottom. Wild on 4" sandlance and hatch was on a 5" sandlance. IMG_3826.JPG

Brett, Kyle M, advTHXance and 10 others like this.
  3. PatyO'Furniture

PatyO'Furniture Active Member

hit constance around 830, saw lots of guys anchored up out there and we stayed well away from them. bobbed around the freighter and got a couple 5's, a 7 and a 9.

4. Last Chance

Last Chance Admin Staff Member

I did quite well by the yellow bouy. Use anchors to keep your traps down.

5. Franko Manini

Franko Manini Well-Known Member

Really? I heard it was the sh!ts.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  6. brands51

brands51 Active Member

Great day out there yesterday. We retained our first "big" fish of the year being a 12lb hatchery as well as a good BBQ fish, & released some wild and barely legal fish.

Attached Files:

Kyle M likes this.
  7. jeffw12

jeffw12 New Member

can anyone help me with the tide/currents - is there anytime on saturday that would be good to go at constance?

8. advTHXance

advTHXance Active Member

Here is the current table for the JDF strait on Saturday

http://www.dairiki.org/tides/daily.php/jua/2017-04-29

Looks like theres a small window from 6-8am but its ripping pretty hard after that. Its not always like this, just this weeks currents are particularly nasty.

Newf likes this.
  9. jeffw12

jeffw12 New Member

is it worth trying for halibut in that window? thanks for the link

10. advTHXance

advTHXance Active Member

If you wanna get out there early before daylight and set up shop, you could get a couple decent hours of fishing in while anchored up. If it was me, Id just find a backeddy somewhere and troll for salmon. Maybe some of the more experienced Constance fishermen can chime in, its a bit out of my jurisdiction.

11. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

Not good Halibut currents, don't bother.

Kildonan and Humpbubble like this.
  12. Humpbubble

Humpbubble Active Member

2:30 am looks nice :)

13. kaelc

kaelc Well-Known Member

Getting up for Naughtical twilight and running to a spot you know well, close to shore could be do-able but you would need rock steady deckhands to get lines down in time if you are anchoring.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/canada/victoria

Managed a 40 lber Sunday, that set the hook so well it came out his eye. He fought like a 60lber, poor bugger. They are out there but not as many as last year.

14. saltydawg

saltydawg Member

Anyone been out? Any news?

15. PatyO'Furniture

PatyO'Furniture Active Member

no love off the waterfront or the flats today. 3 crab keepers though.
    Didnt see any nets out, and talked to others at the dock and no luck. Lots of boats on the flats, pretty quiet on the waterfront.
    threw the tackle box over the side of the boat and couldnt get a single bite.

saltydawg likes this.
  16. Kildonan

Kildonan Well-Known Member

Same for me. Was dead, dead, double dead. Tried all the favourite gear and tactics. Not a damn thing happening.

saltydawg likes this.
  17. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

flats were dead today after a lively week

18. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

that's for sure, never had a single bite but the weather was sure nice.

beemer likes this.
  19. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Active Member

We got out sunday 12:00 to 2:00 on the Flats and only had one hit that got off soon after popping the pin. did get 2 nice crab out of Caddy Bay though. sure was nice weather.

beemer likes this.
  20. Newf

Newf Member

10am to 4pm today,,,,waterfront and Albert Head.. Not even a nibble.. Absolutely beautiful on the water today..