2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Discussion in '2017 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by porcupine, Jan 1, 2017.

1. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

Saturday there were quite a few winter springs in the 4-7 lb range.
    Nothing really exciting yet.

Franko Manini likes this.
  2. Last Chance

Last Chance Admin Staff Member

Was out yesterday and ground one out at Albert Head. Hitting again tomorrow!

3. Last Chance

Last Chance Admin Staff Member

Oak Bay was fair, couple smaller ones and a 10 in the AM.

4. PatyO'Furniture

PatyO'Furniture Active Member

anyone ever tried prawning off victoria?
    looking for spots to try

5. Ocean Jade

Ocean Jade Member

It's good near the sewage out take

6. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Active Member

Picked this 6-7 lb hatchery in the gap this morning. First trip of the year. Glow flasher and old school green glow cyote spoon.

Attached Files:

7. fogged in

fogged in Well-Known Member

that's not funny.
    The commercial guys prawn occasionally off the flat in about 300' of water
    Problem for sporties is the tide!

8. brands51

brands51 Active Member

Waterfront was good to us on good Friday! 2 nice hatcheries, one about 7lbs and one around 10lbs. Skinny Gs right on bottom.

Attached Files:

Discus and Kyle M like this.
  9. tinboatrobb

tinboatrobb Active Member

thinking of trying the waterfront tomorrow. Oak Bay seemed a little slow for the number of boats that were there. I got lucky.

10. Bugs

Bugs Active Member

11. calmsea

calmsea Well-Known Member

Wow, pretty pathetic fishing on the bank today. Picture perfect hali tides, no wind, no doggies, but no hali anywhere to be seen. Where are they? Did anyone out there get a hali? And to top it off only these spring rats 3-4# on the bank. Is there no more decent fish in this area? It's the middle of April and we are catching 4#ers? My buddy in Oregon is catching 40# springs in the Columbia right now!

12. jffisher

jffisher Member

I was out near the bank today on anchor for six hours got one massive skate right away then near noon finally got one in the boat. Seemed slow didn't see anyone else bring one in.

Attached Files:

13. calmsea

calmsea Well-Known Member

Good for you jff! At least a glimmer of hope that a few may still be around. Hate to call another part of our local ocean the dead sea!

14. DuroBoat

DuroBoat Member

lots of action on constance last weekend including a few big fish. All on the bottom anywhere from 150' to 60'. have a look at the attached pic from my fishfinder - doesn't it look like a look like a few big salmon harassing two bait balls on the bottom? hooked in to a nice keeper just after I passed this spot :)

Depthsounder.jpg

15. advTHXance

advTHXance Well-Known Member

Is it a possibility that those orange lumps could also be structure of some sort as opposed to bait balls? Either way there are definitely a few smileys lurking in that pic!

16. Kildonan

Kildonan Well-Known Member

Been starved for fishing for a while. Wife out of town this weekend. Honey do list being ignored. Yard a mess but who cares. Fish this weekend, beg for forgiveness later. :D

brands51 and advTHXance like this.
  17. BarryA

BarryA Member

Candlefish for sure.

advTHXance likes this.
  18. Tips Up

Tips Up Well-Known Member

Fished for Hali yesterday to avoid the weekend Derby crowd. I guess others had the same idea. There were quite a few boats out.
    Weather was great. Caught 2 Hali and left the water by 11 am.

Reminder to give some space out there!
    Had some ass hat anchor right on top of me and hook up their gear on my anchor line.
    Luckily their gear was wrapped up close to my anchor chain and not half way up so I was able to pull anchor.
    I have puller system not ring system so had their hooks been in my rope higher up it could have caused problems.
    Think about where my 400 ft anchor line is, where I'm going to swing and where I have to drive when I pull anchor.
    If your 75 yards directly in front of my ball, I have to run right through or beside you to pull. (Apparently this guy saw no problem with it as he asked me how I made out as I pulled my anchor 30 yards to his port side)

Not only is it ignorant and unnecessary to anchor so close but it adds a lot of danger to anchoring.

Sorry for the rant but i don't have a lot of patience for ignorance.

Tips

beemer, advTHXance and Kildonan like this.
  19. michael_reiber

michael_reiber Active Member

We had someone catch our anchor with both of their lines last time we were out as well.

20. Old Seadog

Old Seadog Active Member

Tips Up, I know where you are coming from. Had the same thing happen to me, just lucky that I have the ring on my anchor line. PLEASE stop getting so close to other people. When you anchor there is going to be an anchor swing, so know it and be respectable to others out there. IF YOU Want that spot get there sooner and other people give space and don't in danger other fisherman. Safety first on the water GUYS.