2017 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Discussion in '2017 Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by porcupine, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Franko Manini

Franko Manini Well-Known Member

How long of a leader do you run with that spoon and the anchovy spoon for winters?

Discus likes this.
  2. Andrew P

Andrew P Well-Known Member

I go Sandlance 28", Anchovy 32" and Herring 36" for winter chinook in the 4" length spoons. And then a tad less or more with the 3" and 5" versions. By end of summer I generally am just under double all those lengths. Many would run them differently with great results also, but these lengths seem to work for me.

Discus likes this.
  3. Mid-island fisher

Mid-island fisher New Member

Hi
    I am thinking about coming down for some fishing this weekend any one suggest some spots? Is there halibut in victoria area or just out towards sooke?

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks
    Jay

4. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

There are Halibut everywhere from Sidney to Jordan river but not too many will share their
    favorite spots. You have to look at local charts ,find structure, gravel bars , mud flats etc.
    drift or anchor 150'to 300' deep using whole herring, salmon bellies or grubs.
    not easy to dial in on a day trip.

5. fogged in

fogged in Well-Known Member

Not a good halibut day for us yesterday
    All three of the boats in our crowd got skunked.
    Beautiful day to be on the water though, until the Westerly came up just before noon!

6. PatyO'Furniture

PatyO'Furniture Active Member

heading out on saturday with foghorn charters for hali! won the charter with a buddy at the JDF derby last year.
    i'm pumped!

Old Blue likes this.
  7. fogged in

be sure to let us know how you do

8. Rayvon

Rayvon Active Member

You'll have fun with Foggy,if he can't find you a Hali nobody can.

9. luckyman

luckyman New Member

IMG_6346.JPG Got two beauty Hali's yesterday off Trial... Octopus...250 feet. Both low 40's...

10. fogged in

Hey Patio
    How did you do today?
    Certainly some halibut around but a big zero for us a few days ago.

11. Reel Gone

Reel Gone Member

I think Saturday is tomorrow .....

12. fogged in

What...today is not Saturday....damn.
    Oh well...will look forward to tomorrow's report.

13. fogged in

How is Blue Wolf doing with hali so far. I know he is out regularly with his form members special charters.
    He and his guests are usually so good about reporting on their trips...miss the reports...how about it guys.

14. Kildonan

Kildonan Well-Known Member

Went out with wolf the other day. 3 good halibut hit the deck, was a good day as always.

trophyjim likes this.
  15. vicsurfer

vicsurfer Active Member

Went out for a solo 3 hours tour this am. I had 2 double headers and another hit near the end. All around the freighters parked out front. Kept the big fish (8lbs).

16. fogged in

thanks for the report Kildonan
    Our only time out this season came up with a big zero
    Will give it go on the next set of tides and report hopefully some success!

17. bottom feeder

bottom feeder Active Member

great day on the water near border, dropped the pic at around 7 ,water was like a pond!!!! but the current was smoking but still fishable, at one point i think i had about 700 feet out lol -turned at around 12 then nailed a beauty 50 then lost another ,then doggies till about 3. then the wind picked up and we booked. was really happy to end the day checking our crab traps to find they had been cleaned out by f----ng douche bags!!!!! just left the doors open and threw them back in- some people are just sad !!! 355 was the depth- sand all day

18. Mid-island fisher

Mid-island fisher New Member

We were out today around constance bank 250 nothing for us. It was my first time for halibut so was not expecting much, but hoping for something. I figured out how to use my anchor retrieval set up

Just curious what general area you were in? If you don't mind me asking

Jay

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  19. bottom feeder

near border bank

20. bottom feeder

octopus