2017 Ucluelet Fishing Reports

question.. I have not seen, or maybe missed it, was there any predictions for coho and spring returns for the Columbia River run this year??

Slow fishing Ukie or what?

On frickin' fire offshore. Have a neighbour who said it was on fire and he returned yesterday. On the beach not as good yet but if in the right area some quality starting to show and good action in pockets.

On frickin' fire offshore. Have a neighbour who said it was on fire and he returned yesterday. On the beach not as good yet but if in the right area some quality starting to show and good action in pockets.
Define fire??? Guides are coming in with limits of feeder size chinook 5-10lbs from offshore and the odd hali, spend the afternoon at the cleaning table and thats all i saw.might be better from others but thats what i saw

Waiting for the ferry so I thought I would give report. Started fishing Friday and it was a bit rough. The wife was along for this trip and I didn't want to beat her up the first day so we started at Wya and my buddy got a 20# and I lost a good pin popper, from there we shot out to Hyson to see if it was on there yet (had a couple great days there last August) but it was very quiet without a sniff. On the way back we dropped down at the lighthouse and got a 10#. Saturday the water was like a pancake so we shot out to Rat's Nose and had difficulty getting anything bigger than shakers. I believe we were fishing to deep as I listened to a couple guys cleaning fish at the table the day before and they said they scraped bottom all day for there springs. Did end up with 3 Hali's an 83 cm an two 81 cm as well as a large sole. Today we went back out to RN and I did something I haven't done in years, brought out anchovy' s. we put bait on one side and small Irish Cream on the other they were even on hook ups but fewer fish spit the treble on the teaser. We fished shallower at around 130' and action was steady my buddy and me had our 4 springs in the boat within an hr. My wife had a little more difficulty landing hers but managed to get her 2 after about 10 try's. We went through a couple large schools of coho that were hitting steady if they fell off just reel in slow and you would get another one. All fish were on the smaller side with a 15# the biggest and 8# the smallest. 2 of the 3 hatch coho were also on the small side.

Just home. Found a patch of better ones on Saturday at Big Bank. Only halis and smalls on bottom for me, so I fished at about 130. Bonked a 15 and 25, released several mid- teens and lots smaller, (all but 2 were chinooks where I was and at the depths I tried). 5"spoons over dummies. Tip of Rat's Nose tip: when the water is so flat that everyone from Bamfield to Tofino who normally fish inshore (including me), sets their plotter to Go To RN, the fish don't know they are supposed to be right there under the 200 boats. I was alone pretty much.
Back on Sat/Sun in an all-weather boat.

Just home. Found a patch of better ones on Saturday at Big Bank. Only halis and smalls on bottom for me, so I fished at about 130. Bonked a 15 and 25, released several mid- teens and lots smaller, (all but 2 were chinooks where I was and at the depths I tried). 5"spoons over dummies. Tip of Rat's Nose tip: when the water is so flat that everyone from Bamfield to Tofino who normally fish inshore (including me), sets their plotter to Go To RN, the fish don't know they are supposed to be right there under the 200 boats. I was alone pretty much.
Back on Sat/Sun in an all-weather boat.

Yeah i didn't think it was so bad. Got everything except 1 hali. Got most of my better Chinooks at 90 ft on naked 6 inch spoons as well. Some nice hatchery cohos around 110 on glow octopus hoochies too.

Define fire??? Guides are coming in with limits of feeder size chinook 5-10lbs from offshore and the odd hali, spend the afternoon at the cleaning table and thats all i saw.might be better from others but thats what i saw
I heard they were limiting out fast and furious with a avg of 20lb springs on the banks

question.. I have not seen, or maybe missed it, was there any predictions for coho and spring returns for the Columbia River run this year??

The forecast for the fall run On the Columbia
Chinook. 613,840
That's 96 % of last years and 84% of the 10 yr avg
The bad news in the report is the upriver brights only 270,000 of the 613,840 Leaves little for sport after the nets take
Coho 319,300
96% of the 5 yr avg

Lol maybe i only seen the 6 guides that only got 5-10lbs fish, lots of action but on fire is a big statement,

On fire is not an understatement. Depending on who the guides were and where they were fishing on a given day makes a BIG difference. maybe he'll post pics but he's reporting what FishTofino was and he was using 6" Spoons and 6-7" Plugs.

Lol got a pic sent to me at 1030this morning with cleaning station stuffed full mid to high teens from today. Oh well guess it's who you know. Would love to post the pics but there not mine to do so.

Heading to Ucuelet mid August, I have never fished there before. What would the "go to" gear be? Are flashers necessary? Thanks in advance for any tips.

Lol got a pic sent to me at 1030this morning with cleaning station stuffed full mid to high teens from today. Oh well guess it's who you know. Would love to post the pics but there not mine to do so.
I guess its getting better,was there on Friday the 28,can change in a hurry this time a year,still need pics or it did not happen;):p:cool:

Heading to Ucuelet mid August, I have never fished there before. What would the "go to" gear be? Are flashers necessary? Thanks in advance for any tips.

Anchovy tie ups for the beach is going to be key....Flashers recommended too. Lots of them because if there is a Coho infestation you will need many. Purple Haze Hoochies....a staple.

Offshore 5-6" Spoons in your favourite colours... and Plugs if the weather is good... 6" and 7" in 500,602, 700, 232, 84, 94, 512g, 639, 341, ANY of the RVP series...fantastic!! hang on!

Anchovy tie ups for the beach is going to be key....Flashers recommended too. Lots of them because if there is a Coho infestation you will need many. Purple Haze Hoochies....a staple.

Offshore 5-6" Spoons in your favourite colours... and Plugs if the weather is good... 6" and 7" in 500,602, 700, 232, 84, 94, 512g, 639, 341, ANY of the RVP series...fantastic!! hang on!

Much appreciated, i was wondering if flashers were necessary and whether it was a meat presentation or a spoon show. Thanks again, cant wait to get out there

On fire is not an understatement. Depending on who the guides were and where they were fishing on a given day makes a BIG difference. maybe he'll post pics but he's reporting what FishTofino was and he was using 6" Spoons and 6-7" Plugs.

To be fair it seems to change almost daily. With the fish running late they aren't hanging around. You find them good one day and they are gone the next. The Big Bank is a nursery ground where migratory fish move thru. If there's lots of bait they hang around for a day or two before moving. If you don't find them you get the pinners. I try and find the depth the movers are in the water column and keep a rod there. Saturday it was 90 ft for me, no bait showing just a few fish on the screen

Back